Opinions wanted

JakeJK

Okay so I want BFG AT KO2s 35x13.5 but they are nearly 1500 for a set of 4. I saw these at my service place and kinda liked the look of them I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tires and if so how were they? They seem to have a good bit more aggressive tread than the ATs but I want to know if the extra +- 300 dollars is worth is for the BFGs, keep in mind 300 for me is like 4 weeks of saving lol thanks college.

Thanks guys here's a pic of them, they are mastercraft courser MXT 315/70r17

I believe they are also load range D so will that be a smoother ride than E range? The BFGs are E

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441507344.335789.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Buy 5 no matter what you buy. For one it looks better with a matching spare. It looks dumb as hell with 4 35s on the ground and then the factory spare on the back. If you buy four, get a compressor and a tire repair kit and take the factory spare off and hope you never need a spare. Plus with anything larger than factory size, if you have a flat, the factory size spare won't be good on your diffs. If you buy 5 rotate the 5th into your rotations. Yeah that spare looks brand new but because it's been hanging out on the back of the jeep it's entire life it's dry rotted and is no longer any good. You spend 200 plus a piece, might as well use that 5th tire. If you do any wheeling what so ever and don't buy that 5th tire, you are hurting yourself. Your jeep won't be the same with a smaller tire on one axle.

Sorry for the rant, just a pet peeve of mine. Plus it just got worse cause I work on a college campus and all the students are back. You should see all the JKs with 35s or 37s and aftermarket rims that are running the factory spare. Just looks like crap.

I will add that I have ran several sets of the original BFG KOs and like them. I would definitely run the new KO2s on a rig but wanted something more aggressive on mine. Maybe if the wife gets a jeep or I get a different vehicle that is more daily driver but needs good tires. Jeep will always be mud terrain at minimum.

Last edited:

Peak

BFGs run small so a 35 will be about a 33 1/2 mounted. Also I've heard they have the longest tread life. I have the BFG AT in 37's and I love them but I would trade them for Nitto Trail Grapplers in a heart beat since they look more aggressive and are true to size. Just me though. Also I bought 4 and picked up a MT spare on Craigslist for $80.

JakeJK

Buy 5 no matter what you buy. For one it looks better with a matching spare. It looks dumb as hell with 4 35s on the ground and then the factory spare on the back. If you buy four, get a compressor and a tire repair kit and take the factory spare off and hope you never need a spare. Plus with anything larger than factory size, if you have a flat, the factory size spare won't be good on your diffs. If you buy 5 rotate the 5th into your rotations. Yeah that spare looks brand new but because it's been hanging out on the back of the jeep it's entire life it's dry rotted and is no longer any good. You spend 200 plus a piece, might as well use that 5th tire. If you do any wheeling what so ever and don't buy that 5th tire, you are hurting yourself. Your jeep won't be the same with a smaller tire on one axle.

Sorry for the rant, just a pet peeve of mine. Plus it just got worse cause I work on a college campus and all the students are back. You should see all the JKs with 35s or 37s and aftermarket rims that are running the factory spare. Just looks like crap.

I will add that I have ran several sets of the original BFG KOs and like them. I would definitely run the new KO2s on a rig but wanted something more aggressive on mine. Maybe if the wife gets a jeep or I get a different vehicle that is more daily driver but needs good tires. Jeep will always be mud terrain at minimum.

Well I was going to get 4 run spacers and a poison spyder tramp stamp until I can afford a heavy duty tire carrier then I was going to get another tire when I got the tire carrier but I could just get the tire now and rotate it in and out until I can afford the tire Carrier I don't really want to put a 35 back there on that stock carrier I also love the look and performance of an MT but I need something affordable that's why I got excited when I saw the mastercraft haha I know they're cheap and I know they have to be for a reason but they are made by cooper and cooper is usually a decent brand

JakeJK

BFGs run small so a 35 will be about a 33 1/2 mounted. Also I've heard they have the longest tread life. I have the BFG AT in 37's and I love them but I would trade them for Nitto Trail Grapplers in a heart beat since they look more aggressive and are true to size. Just me though. Also I bought 4 and picked up a MT spare on Craigslist for $80.

If I were going to get expensive MTs I think id go with TOYOs but they're so dang expensive I like the nittos as well

Eugene the Jeep

Cooper makes the mastercraft brand of tires. I purchased a set of 37x12.5x17 cooper discover st/maxx tires from discount tire for 300.00 each with lifetime rotate and balance included. They are a hybrid of a mt and at tire. They are very quiet on the road and work very well for florida offroading, not many mountains or rock climbing here. I'm very happy with them so far. Cooper did just release their new mt tire also. You might want to check them out.

JakeJK

Cooper makes the mastercraft brand of tires. I purchased a set of 37x12.5x17 cooper discover st/maxx tires from discount tire for 300.00 each with lifetime rotate and balance included. They are a hybrid of a mt and at tire. They are very quiet on the road and work very well for florida offroading, not many mountains or rock climbing here. I'm very happy with them so far. Cooper did just release their new mt tire also. You might want to check them out.

Yeah I saw those discover STT pros they look good!

jedg

I've run the STT in a 33 inch. Over all I liked them. The down side is that mine were a E load rating and so rode rough. I'm now running KM2s in a 35 ( which really means 33 1/2) I think these are a far superior tire. They've done great on road , in the rain, and rock crawling at SMORR. I've also ru the BFG AT and really loved that tire on my truck. I can only imagine that the KO2 is a step better.

JakeJK

I've run the STT in a 33 inch. Over all I liked them. The down side is that mine were a E load rating and so rode rough. I'm now running KM2s in a 35 ( which really means 33 1/2) I think these are a far superior tire. They've done great on road , in the rain, and rock crawling at SMORR. I've also ru the BFG AT and really loved that tire on my truck. I can only imagine that the KO2 is a step better.

Okay by far superior are they worth the extra money?

boardsurfer

If it matters to you, a 35 on the stock carrier isn't a big deal. Tons of people run it, myself included. In fact I think Mel from ORE just recently made a post about carrying a 37 on his for several years before it broke. Anecdotal, I know.

JakeJK

If it matters to you, a 35 on the stock carrier isn't a big deal. Tons of people run it, myself included. In fact I think Mel from ORE just recently made a post about carrying a 37 on his for several years before it broke. Anecdotal, I know.

hmm.. Well that's good to know maybe I'll just get 5 when I get tires

jkwebbie

I've thought about going with the Mastercraft too but I think I'll just go with the Coopers unless I can find a better deal on the Mastercrafts somewhere. I know a few people that have the Discoverer STTs and love them. I'm curious as to how the new Pro version will be

JakeJK

I've thought about going with the Mastercraft too but I think I'll just go with the Coopers unless I can find a better deal on the Mastercrafts somewhere. I know a few people that have the Discoverer STTs and love them. I'm curious as to how the new Pro version will be

I was looking for prices and at tread depot the mastercraft swerve 70 less per tire for the same size

RjSkippy

Obviously subjective. My opinion, yes, worth the money.

In my opinion also. Tires are one of the most important purchases, it is the only portion of your vehicle that actually contacts the road/dirt/rocks (for the most part). IMO, it's one place I would spend the extra money. At the end of the day buy what makes you happy even if it takes a little longer to save up for. :twocents:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441634832.156598.jpg

I too am running a 35 on the factory tire carrier with a Teraflex spacer. I went with it cause I got it brand new still in the package for $10 from a buddy. I was debating about buying another pair of wheel spacers and then trying to sell the one I didn't use. Figured somebody might want to run theirs like that also.

You will want to do something about the isolators to make sure the tire doesn't rattle/move back and forth.

I went with the load range e trail grapplers because I travel a lot of dirt roads and drive out in pastures a lot. So I wanted the higher ply rating. I ruined a factory rubicon tire on a dirt road with less than 5k miles on the jeep. For me the load range e tires made more sense.

zchurch

Okay so I want BFG AT KO2s 35x13.5 but they are nearly 1500 for a set of 4. I saw these at my service place and kinda liked the look of them I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tires and if so how were they? They seem to have a good bit more aggressive tread than the ATs but I want to know if the extra +- 300 dollars is worth is for the BFGs, keep in mind 300 for me is like 4 weeks of saving lol thanks college.

Thanks guys here's a pic of them, they are mastercraft courser MXT 315/70r17

I believe they are also load range D so will that be a smoother ride than E range? The BFGs are E

View attachment 163686

I have the KO's 33 12.5 and love them. I'm getting new tires in October and I'm going to the KO2's. I've done some road travel and off road and I don't think they have slipped on any surface once. I'm on the East Coast so I have dirt mud water rocks roots and other stuff I run over on the trails and they've been awesome. They have proved themselves to me. I haven't run them in the snow yet but the KO2's have the 3 peak mountain and are snow approved and I will have them before the snow hits. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441637851.411795.jpg (picture is before my winch) Hope this helped.

Top Bottom