Ongoing EGR Valve Code Issues

sm31

Been chasing down this EGR gremlin on my 11' JKUR for about a year now...

The good: I can replace an EGR valve in less than 25 minutes... and without losing skin on my knuckles. :Disappointed:

The bad: I'm still throwing EGR codes regularly.

Aside from replacing the EGRV a few times (to make sure it wasn't a faulty part, lol), I've run quite a bit of fuel system cleaner (techron, lucas, & gumout), super unleaded, etc. through... and nothing provides a permanent fix. Although, the fuel treatments, etc. did help. Before running the fuel system cleaner & super unleaded, I was getting a code on every drive. Now I typically go anywhere from 50 miles to sometimes more than 500 miles before a code pops up again.

I've played with the wiring a bit but have not found any issues yet.

Any other ideas for things to look at or try? Thank you!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Been chasing down this EGR gremlin on my 11' JKUR for about a year now...

The good: I can replace an EGR valve in less than 25 minutes... and without losing skin on my knuckles. :Disappointed:

The bad: I'm still throwing EGR codes regularly.

Aside from replacing the EGRV a few times (to make sure it wasn't a faulty part, lol), I've run quite a bit of fuel system cleaner (techron, lucas, & gumout), super unleaded, etc. through... and nothing provides a permanent fix. Although, the fuel treatments, etc. did help. Before running the fuel system cleaner & super unleaded, I was getting a code on every drive. Now I typically go anywhere from 50 miles to sometimes more than 500 miles before a code pops up again.

I've played with the wiring a bit but have not found any issues yet.

Any other ideas for things to look at or try? Thank you!!!

The metal EGR pipe might be plugged with carbon. If that's the case, to get it all out, you have to remove the pipe and manually clean it out.

Jeeper125

Not sure what brand egr valve your using but when I had to replace my egr valve I replaced it with a non oem one and had issues with it (same code came back). Replaced it with an oem one and haven’t had an issue in three years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

Thanks for the advice!

Plugs and cleaning out that pipe are on my do - list for this week.

If those don't work then I'll try the OEM EGR valve idea too!

Thanks again!:beer:

POOJEEP

We see this quite often at the shop. Majority of the time the fix is using an OEM EGR, the aftermarket ones have never worked right out of the box for whatever reason. The other times is typically wiring damaged or a few times the PCM is bad.

sm31

My biggest concern was bad wiring but given that there seems to be some response from fuel treatments, etc. I was hoping that indicated the wiring was OK.

Where do you guys like to source OEM parts like this? Should I just go to the dealer? I'm wondering how I will know it's "OEM" otherwise...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My biggest concern was bad wiring but given that there seems to be some response from fuel treatments, etc. I was hoping that indicated the wiring was OK.

Where do you guys like to source OEM parts like this? Should I just go to the dealer? I'm wondering how I will know it's "OEM" otherwise...

Dealer carries OEM. Also Quadratec carries oem parts

Top Bottom