Oil Slinger - Mopar (68331198AB) - Anyone make a 3D Print and have a model to share?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Quadratec has these for $35, Some discounters have them for like $28. Seems like it's cheaper and just as good to just 3D Print these. Before I go make a model in Fusion 360, has anyone already done so? And if not, I will post the model here after I make it if someone tells me that doing such things is allowed. I have also heard people say that they don't bother with getting new ones but I'm not sure what to make of that as they seem to "attempt" to serve the purpose of keeping crap out of the axle housing. Thoughts?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Crown Automotive makes a 2-piece axle Oil Slinger for $6, that's a tougher price to beat but not sure about the two piece design.

1684031837621.png

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Dafaq is an oil slinger?

The plastic part that slides onto your Axle shaft , it's basically a dust cover so crap doesn't get into your axle housing as I understand it. Looks similar to the pic below. When my U Joint exploded, it shredded this part. 1684031953499.png

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The plastic part that slides onto your Axle shaft , it's basically a dust cover so crap doesn't get into your axle housing as I understand it. Looks similar to the pic below. When my U Joint exploded, it shredded this part. View attachment 389315
That’s a guide for the axle shaft I’m pretty sure. They serve no purpose. Myself and everyone I know throw those in the trash as soon as a shaft comes out. It won’t do anything to keep stuff from going in the tube. And if stuff gets in, big deal the deal is at the housing for a reason.

CalSgt

Hooked
it's basically a dust cover so crap doesn't get into your axle housing as I understand it.

I figured their primary function is to sling gear oil off of the axle shafts before it gets all the way to the joint and flung all over your brakes and wheels.

ETA: In the event an axle seal goes out.

ETA2: What Adam said, most people just chuck them

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
If @OverlanderJK says to skip it, that's good enough for me. I have no idea why the call it an Oil Slinger, might make some expert level Mopar Trivia.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
The chromoly axle shafts I ordered did not come with these plastic "dust covers" or whatever they are. But here's a picture of a stock axle shaft that does have one which you can see just above my hand. And YES, In this photo I'm handling my shaft in my bathroom. Where better to take pictures handling my shaft?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
My Axle dust covers are printing now. They are two piece for easy installation and will have plastic connectors to go in the two holes you see to connect the two halves together. I might also use some super glue just because. Let me know if anyone wants some, or wants the model. It was only like 10 mins work.

1684043761913.png

WJCO

Meme King
I've never heard of that thing being called an oil slinger. I've used oil slingers in engines and differentials though.

I would call that axle shaft thingy a dust/debris cover and I don't think I've ever reinstalled one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, there's no need to reinstall that plastic dust cover. Once you get up to running 1-tons, NO shafts will have them.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, there's no need to reinstall that plastic dust cover. Once you get up to running 1-tons, NO shafts will have the

So these parts are essentially a scam. I wonder how many of these sell at Quadratec for $38. I also imagine that any new shafts installed by a JEEP Dealership would hit the customer for this charge as well. Just one of many examples of how reading Wayalife forums saves money. Not only do you end up getting solid advice about WHAT to buy, you also get advice about what NOT to buy so you can spend those funds on things that are actually effective and valuable. I wonder how many other parts are of zero value, yet included as a way to upcharge the customer?

WJCO

Meme King
So these parts are essentially a scam. I wonder how many of these sell at Quadratec for $38. I also imagine that any new shafts installed by a JEEP Dealership would hit the customer for this charge as well. Just one of many examples of how reading Wayalife forums saves money. Not only do you end up getting solid advice about WHAT to buy, you also get advice about what NOT to buy so you can spend those funds on things that are actually effective and valuable. I wonder how many other parts are of zero value, yet included as a way to upcharge the customer?
The aftermarket is full of stuff like this. It is what it is. But if you're having fun printing your own, who cares. Just go with it.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
The aftermarket is full of stuff like this. It is what it is. But if you're having fun printing your own, who cares. Just go with it.

I am having some fun modeling and printing my own, especially using different colors to start conversations. And of course, all parts I print say FJB, which make them that much better.

Top Bottom