Oil pan sheared bolts

Kruncher

Completely non-Jeep specific related.

Installing a new oil level sensor today on another car, sheared off not one, but two bolts on the oil pan. I didn't have my lift, so tried to do this project with just jack stands' height; IOW, didn't have a lot of work to with. Apparently, 20 ft lbs of torque was enough to shear off the aluminum posts without two hands on the wrench! Ugh!

Anyway, anyone tap out new bolts on a aluminum oil pan? This is a '04 BMW E46. PITA to replace the oil pan.

Cheers,

Adam

WJCO

Meme King
Completely non-Jeep specific related.

Installing a new oil level sensor today on another car, sheared off not one, but two bolts on the oil pan. I didn't have my lift, so tried to do this project with just jack stands' height; IOW, didn't have a lot of work to with. Apparently, 20 ft lbs of torque was enough to shear off the aluminum posts without two hands on the wrench! Ugh!

Anyway, anyone tap out new bolts on a aluminum oil pan? This is a '04 BMW E46. PITA to replace the oil pan.

Cheers,

Adam
Are the bolts stuck in the block? Or is the oil pan threaded? Post pics if you can.

kevman65

Hooked
After watching a video, no thanks to this job on this car.

If your bolts are aluminum, then yes, a screw extractor is what you need. I hope for your sake they are not in any of the deep, hidden locations.

Kruncher

Studs extending below the oil pan to mount the oil level sensor in the bottom of the pan, sheared off (part studs sticking out).

Did a brake job with my son's on his "new to him" car last week, and I stressed the importance of holding the torque wrench with two hands, to not apply any odd angle "torques" while wrenching.

Yeah, no thanks on this job; wondering if there was a way to drill & tap out new studs ... uggg.

Kruncher

PB Blaster & a vice grip ... should do the trick.

I think there is enough of the studs to get a grip on. Now, if the local BMW dealership has the part!

Kruncher

Busy day.

found the parts, but the studs won’t separate from the oil pan.

actually leaving for a few weeks, garage is a mess, smells like a giant oil spill.

had to order a M6 extractor … ugh.
Wish me luck I don’t shear the 1/4 inch stud remaining!

Attachments

• IMG_6319.jpeg
    IMG_6319.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6321.jpeg
    IMG_6321.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 9

jeeeep

Hooked
you may have to apply some heat directly to the stud, I've had other foreign vehicles and they use Loctite on the stud end which requires heat to remove.
I've used a soldering iron as well as a butane heat shrink melting torch to keep the heat isolated on the stud... careful to not catch anything else on fire.

When younger I loved foreign made cars...I'll never work on them again LOL

Kruncher

Yeah, I figured I'd need heat. Being the bottom of an oil pan attached to a car precludes open flames (still like the car); but I like the solder iron idea!

Kruncher

Yeah, I figured I'd need heat. Being the bottom of an oil pan attached to a car precludes open flames (still like the car); but I like the solder iron idea!
Finally got those studs out! The engine was completely drained of any oil …realized I had a small oil leak (rear seal perhaps), so added some Lucas Oil Leak stuff … hated to hear the car start … but the metal on dry metal noise only lasted a couple seconds! Doh!

Kruncher

Finally got those studs out! The engine was completely drained of any oil …realized I had a small oil leak (rear seal perhaps), so added some Lucas Oil Leak stuff … hated to hear the car start … but the metal on dry metal noise only lasted a couple seconds! Doh!

Kruncher

Attachments

• Oil pan.jpg
    Oil pan.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 8

Kruncher

Apparently 3/8" extractor socket works on M6 bolts. thanks to my new best friend who lead me to the replaceable part!

traveling a lot lately, will post a picture of the last remaining stud that remained. Pulled that out too, even though it wasn't broken. Glad I removed it!

More later, be well!

Adam

GP NOIR

Hooked
For future reference, crank the engine without starting it to build up oil pressure and get the oil flowing throughout the engine.

In JKs, you can do this by pressing the throttle to the floor and holding it there while cranking the engine. I don’t know if this works with other modern vehicles.

Top Bottom