Oil filter change issue

USMC Wrangler

(2013 JKUS 68,300 miles)

I was changing my engine oil filter today and the entire center piece (valve?) that goes inside the middle of the filter came loose. The spring at the top is free to just fall out if the filter isn’t installed also.

I see there is a Dorman 917-992 Engine Oil Bypass Valve available, but the whole damn center piece came out! I did put it back together and checked for leaks. It seems fine and no warning lights.

Am I screwed and need the whole assembly? Should I stop driving it until this is addressed? Google just confused me further. Help please...

IMG_6444.jpg

Took pics all the way around in case someone here sees something I’m missing.

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

Will this fix my problem?

IMG_6445.jpg

Or do I have to do this?

IMG_6446.jpg

CharlesC

Never seen the whole assembly come out like that. Not for sure how or if it just snaps back in place? Mine broke right at the tip and had to replace the whole assembly. It is a functional piece that needs to function correctly though. I’m sure others will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlesC

This is what it should look like. That Dorman part was not available when mine broke🤬 Have to be careful when taking off the cap to the filter, there is enough resistance when unscrewing from the housing to hang up on and wham snap! I have foreskin thicker than the plastic used for that!!🤣 IMG_1051.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Thanks Charles, but now I’m freaking out even more! I looked down inside the filter housing for any broken pieces when this happened and didn’t find anything. Makes me wonder where the top went to.

rmilobrown

If you decide to replace the whole unit, the latest version is 68105583AF. It uses the new style filter ( comes with the new oil cooler) Of course the benefit is no plastic tip to break off. I just did this job last weekend, not too bad.

USMC Wrangler

If you decide to replace the whole unit, the latest version is 68105583AF. It uses the new style filter ( comes with the new oil cooler) Of course the benefit is no plastic tip to break off. I just did this job last weekend, not too bad.

Thanks! Good to know!

USMC Wrangler

After worrying about this for the past 24 hours, I found one bypass valve in stock near me for about $10 more than Amazon. Thanks O’Reilly Auto Parts!

IMG_6450.JPG

Now, I still don’t know where the broken plastic went for sure. My worst guess is in the engine. So, I did an oil change even though it’s not due for awhile. Of course nothing came out but oil. Other than dropping the oil pan, I don’t know what more I can do at this point than hope if it went in, it gets consumed somehow and doesn’t cause a bigger issue. [emoji849]

The filter I installed yesterday was saturated with oil. So my fear that it wasn’t cycling through the filter seems to be relieved.

Now for the whole valve piece being loose. There’s a much larger spring in the bottom of the filter assembly. The valve has an o-ring at the bottom and what looks like to claws to grab the spring. I tried getting the valve to grab the spring with the claws in several different positions without any luck. So, I just put it all back together.

Looking down into the filter housing. The silver part is the larger spring.

IMG_6447.jpg

In my hand is all that was left of the plastic nipple that holds the small spring at the top.

IMG_6448.jpg

I feel a little better but still have a bit of a knot in my stomach. I may still replace the entire assembly.

USMC Wrangler

rmilibrown got me thinking. According to the Q&A on Amazon, it’s clear as mud if the updated cooler will fit my 2013. That would be nice, but then I’d have to remember to use the new style filter.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B01MR9T1TE/

I have seen info online that in many cases FCA is covering the housings under the 100k mile warranty. I just haven’t found any cases where anyone has reported the entire valve assembly coming out.

Any advice?

Last edited:

woof359

rattle

bought my sport new in 2012, every once in a while if mine sits for more than a couple days I get this engine rattle when starting like theres no oil in it , then it quiets down, never used and oil, runs fine, I wonder if this spring might be the problem. done it ever since it was new.

USMC Wrangler

bought my sport new in 2012, every once in a while if mine sits for more than a couple days I get this engine rattle when starting like theres no oil in it , then it quiets down, never used and oil, runs fine, I wonder if this spring might be the problem. done it ever since it was new.

I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2013 has done the same thing since it was new. I’ve done every oil change over the past 5 years. This was the first time I’ve noticed anything amiss in the filter housing.

Top Bottom