Oil Cooler Replacement?

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
The other day while under the Jeep (2012 JK 2 Door) I noticed oil on the bell housing. Having spent a ton of time reviewing posts on this forum (thank you all very much for your wisdom!) I knew where to look. The dreaded oil cooler. However, when I look in the V of the block with a flashlight, I find really no oil. I say "really" as there is a tiny amount of wetness - enough to catch the light of my flashlight - around the portion of the oil cooler highlighted in the attached pick. So, I come to you today to get your feedback: Does this suggest the need for an immediate changing of the oil cooler - I ordered one from Quadratec and it will be here over the weekend? I am planning a 7 hour one way trip next week and am trying to figure out if I need to plan to spend my weekend pulling apart the top of the engine and replacing the oil cooler and my spark plugs as I am at 95,000 miles. I was also wondering if, given the minimal nature of the leak - though it has seemingly cost me about a 1/2 quart of oil - if some "high mileage oil" might recondition the seals to see if this is the problem or if it is the traditional cracked oil cooler issue. Oil Cooler.JPG

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Clean everything as well as you can. Then every time you drive it inspect it so youre 100% sure where it’s coming from. I had oil dripping off my bell housing and just had a loose oil pan bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Clean everything as well as you can. Then every time you drive it inspect it so youre 100% sure where it’s coming from. I had oil dripping off my bell housing and just had a loose oil pan bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I really appreciate your response! Thank you! I will spend some quality time under the Jeep this weekend to get a better understanding of what is going on. I have a new oil cooler just in case I end up needing to replace it, but will first seek to better identify where the oil is coming from. I have been monitoring my oil daily and it has stayed steady.

Top Bottom