Oil Changes in Rubicon 2.0L 4Cyl

rubi_vette

While Im sitting here getting my first oil change after purchase of my Jeep, they are telling me it's costing me $89+tax to get it changed with a filter as well.
I usually do all my oil changes in previous rides at the dealership due to ease, plus the trucks were $50. The question I have is, how hard is it to do an oil change for the Wranglers? Is this something I can do at home, I'd imagine I can save some dollars b/c I do them regularly due to mileage I drive.

I've never done an oil change myself, so I figured I'd ask for guidance. Slightly embarrassing, but I'd rather learn now... What sort of oil/filter should I use?

Not as stupid quick and easy as it is to do on a 3.6L but still super simple to do on your own. That said, full synthetic oil will still cost a pretty penny and there are REAL benefits to having your dealership perform the work. The biggest of which is that by having them do it, you are a customer of theirs and IF there's ever a time or reason why you might need to have something warrantied, they will go to bat for you. This, versus just flagging your Jeep and voiding your warranty.

Not as stupid quick and easy as it is to do on a 3.6L but still super simple to do on your own. That said, full synthetic oil will still cost a pretty penny and there are REAL benefits to having your dealership perform the work. The biggest of which is that by having them do it, you are a customer of theirs and IF there's ever a time or reason why you might need to have something warrantied, they will go to bat for you. This, versus just flagging your Jeep and voiding your warranty.
Interesting point. The jeep is already outside of factory warranty, (45k miles) and I've never done the oil change at this specific dealership. As the rubicon was purchased an hour away, which I'm not driving there for normal maintenance. lol

Got 16k on ours. I've done 5 oil changes myself. It's easy. Spin off filter right near the pan. I use only Mopar filters and keep receipts. I use oil that Jeep allows for that motor based on their standards. Costs about 50ish bucks or so.

KIMG0580.jpg

Got 16k on ours. I've done 5 oil changes myself. It's easy. Spin off filter right near the pan. I use only Mopar filters and keep receipts. I use oil that Jeep allows for that motor based on their standards. Costs about 50ish bucks or so.

View attachment 384814
Jeep engineers decided the odds of crushing the oil supply on the trails wasn't high enough so they stuck the oil filter in the same proximity?

Top Bottom