Official Warthog build thread

reelsilly

Well, I kinda introduced my jeep in another thread but figured I would do an "official" build thread. I will admit, I've been very intimidated by a lot of build threads up here and that's why I haven't started one. Got to thinking, "screw it, it's mine, I like it, and it fits what I need.

So, here we go.

"Warthog" is a 2012 JK Sport. The name came from two things, I LOVE the warthog jets, the other kinda goes with my profession. I'm law enforcement and didn't want to name the jeep "pig" or "bacon" so again, warthog kinda covers this for me.

My build is nothing like a lot of yall's but one day, I will get there. As of now, this is what I have going.

I'm running 17" Ultra rims and 285/70/17 BFG KO2's. For now, I have a set of "18/58" springs on it which yielded me 2" of lift. I am also running JKUR shocks. Eventually, I will be getting an EVO Enforcer, 35" tires, and re-gearing it.

I fell into the "angry bird" grille fad but quickly took that crap off. To me, it looked like some angry dude with a huge unibrow. I went back with the sexy 7 slot stock grille. After advice from several of you guys up here, I tackled the plasti dip, and I couldn't be happier with the look.

I upgraded the steering stabilizer to the Pro Comp series and also added the JKS Quicker disconnects. I've added cowl covers, fuel door, entry kick guards, stubby antenna, hi lift jack and tail gate mount and a few other things. It's nothing special, but I'm building this one and not buying it already done for me.

Here it is the day I drove it off the lot.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146395.208567.jpg

I drove it 4 miles up the road and had my rims put on that I already had.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146468.334029.jpg

Shortly there after, I put that stupid grille on and added a led bar on the hood.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146569.072174.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146588.389818.jpg

Here are a few basic poser pics of it with that STUPID grille on it. (Have I ever told y'all that I hate those grilles)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146705.587358.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146730.041059.jpg

I the scored a set of take offs for next to nothing. My buddy and I put them on in no time. I goofed up and forgot to get a before and after measurement pic for everyone, sorry.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146933.268991.jpg

The same day, I drove down the road and got 5 BFG KO2's mounted on her.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457146995.013646.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147012.689311.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147030.573904.jpg

The very next day, after our tornado outbreaks, I had to put it in the mud. This hole was a huge mistake. My friend has a rubicon running 38" super swampers and had a hard time through these holes. I did really well with mine, until this hole. It was deep and the mud was really thick.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147194.900868.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147223.407696.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147242.093354.jpg

Well, I kinda introduced my jeep in another thread but figured I would do an "official" build thread. I will admit, I've been very intimidated by a lot of build threads up here and that's why I haven't started one. Got to thinking, "screw it, it's mine, I like it, and it fits what I need.

Nice build and good attitude. Build it how you want it.

After I cleaned it up, I then added the hi lift jack and tailgate mount.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147351.625652.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147371.906885.jpg

I added these next and I will say, they are beefy. I like them a lot. Very simple to install and use.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147434.953404.jpg

I pondered a way to keep the sway bar secure when I am disconnected. I've seen tons of people use zip ties and Velcro straps but I wanted something different and stronger. Pretty much, I used a washer and two types of quick clips to accomplish this. All I did is drill a small hole in the spring well so that I would have a place to attach them. I put the washer on the link posts and put the keys back on to hold them in place. I the clip it in the hole I drilled. Holds very well and keeps the sway bar nice and high.

I will get better pictures of it all tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457147717.904625.jpg

I'd will grab better overall pictures tomorrow at our club event. Like I said, it's not anything to write home about but I'm happy. I live in the flattest part of the world I think so this set up will be just fine.

Next steps are fender and bumper chops. After that, it's time to save and start giving EVO some business. Lift, sliders, bumpers, skid plates, drive shafts, gears, and other stuff will come, but it will take a lot time.

It's pretty basic I know, but any suggestions as of now?

Getting good and dirty. Nice jeep dude. How do you like that front light bar?

In all honesty, I love having the extra light. It gets really dark out here in the country and they are great for surf fishing at night, BUT, I will likely go with a 50" one up top and move that one. I've found that with this color of silver, it reflects some off the hood. It's not terrible, but it's there. I may move it to the bumper or move it to the back by the hitch.

Nice thread. Cool thing about these builds is the variety of rigs, but the most important thing is that you enjoy it. I like looking through all of them. Never know when you might pick up a neat trick or some other mod you never thought of. The best ones are where you can tell the guy loves his Jeep!

Nice build so far, how do you like the light bar on the hood and are you able to use the washer fluid i know most it blocks it but had to ask

Nice build so far, how do you like the light bar on the hood and are you able to use the washer fluid i know most it blocks it but had to ask

It's okay. It reflects a bit against this silver color. I'm probably going with a windshield mounted one and moving this one. I have no problems with the windshield washer nozzle at all.

It's okay. It reflects a bit against this silver color. I'm probably going with a windshield mounted one and moving this one. I have no problems with the windshield washer nozzle at all.

Oh nice go with a 50" or go home. When you take those mounts off for the hood mount light bar let me know.

I'm bored today so I played around with some photo edits. Here are some pictures from yesterdays gathering.

Jeep Flex Front.jpg
Jeep Flex Rear.jpg
Jeep Flex.jpg
Jeep Side.jpg

Took the little lady riding yesterday. It was her first day riding like this. Mostly she used to fuss about how bumpy it was. Not so much now that I have a little different suspension and tires.

Started with the top down and not one complaint. She sat there enjoying it!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457627003.450149.jpg

Today, we will move up in the jeep world and she will experience this for the first time.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457627038.298995.jpg
Wish me luck

Top Bottom