OBD2 Readers. Possibly JScan

Ken66

I bought a new 2023 Wrangler Sport in Sept/22 and it is still my favourite toy. Now I am starting to look into some upgrades.

The first upgrade is simply to upgrade halogen headlights to LEDs. I suppose I should be upgrading the foglights as well. (Is that recommended?) I'll likely want to change the tire size soon too. So based on the WAYALIFE ECRI video (I love the WAYALIFE videos!) I was leaning toward ECRI. The integration of GPS ia pretty slick. Total cost is $135 ($85 for the ECRI Vehicle Calibration Device with Security Bypass Module plus $50 for the license.)

But then I started thinking about turning off auto start/stop (I have heard about the removing fuse 42 and disconnecting the auxiliary battery cable work-around) and other features so I started looking at the Tazer JL Mini until I saw the $400+ price-tag.

Now I'm looking at OBD2 readers. In particular using JScan. It seems to offer the Tazer JL Mini capabilities including the ability to read/clear DTCs.
JScan recommended OBD2 Adapter
- Vgate vLinker MC+(BT3.0/BLE4.0) OBD2 Scanner Code Diagnostic Scan Tools for Android & iOS & Windows, Black
- $52.78 @ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2GT4KR3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2X19OP7BSI9GG&th=1
JScan App
- JScan 1 VIN License
- $30.99 @ Google Play
12+8 Programming Cable Connector for OBD2 Cable Adaptor for Chrysler
- TTXSPP Cable Adaptor for Chrysler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro
- $16.97 (currently there's also an 8% coupon) @ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1WOC50AEFWL01&th=1
Speedometer: GPS Speedometer" app
- Without ECRI GPS integration, to manually check the speed after setting the tire size and likely having to iterate a couple of times to get it exact.
- $0
Total price is about $100

I'm not sure how well the bluetooth to computer connectivity works, but if it does I wonder if downloading the DTCs into a spreadsheet might be useful.

Does anyone have any advice for the pros and cons of JScan with the OBD2 adapter and cable? If this is a bad idea, might there be any recommendations for a better solution?

I'm a newbie, joining the forum today, so apologies if these are very basic questions.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bierpower

Hooked
You can download the jscan app and go through the demo mode to make sure it does what you want. The OBDII adapter is Bluetooth so you lost me with all the cable stuff. I use the app for gear changes, tire/speedometer correction, DRL... But this is all on a JK. Never went through the things it can do on a JL.

Upvote 0

Ken66

Thank you for the fast reply. I think I'll be going with JScan.

The cable is needed because the JL went to a new "secruity" configuration, so instead of plugging the OBD2 adapter into the OBD2 port in the Jeep, it needs to be connected to the new 12+8 security ports in the Jeep which are physically different than OBD2. The cable allows physical connection of the OBD2 adapter to the 12+8 ports. Still bluetooth from the OBD2 adapter.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jscan is cheap and it works. Having tried all the programmers, it's definitely something I would recommend and it's at least as good as ECRI. No, it doesn't have the GPS calibration thing but really, you don't need it. Tazer is still my favorite but it is also the most expensive.

Upvote 0

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Tazer was the first thing I did as soon as I arrived home from the dealer. I just switched from Halogen headlights and tailights to led units - will do the DRL's when they arrive and the foglights this weekend. They are EXPENSIVE you are going to spend well north of $2k or so replacing all of them if you go with OE parts. In my opinion well worth the upgrade.

Upvote 0

jeeeep

Hooked
Tazer has added some new features that I've found useful - Disabling the Sirius travel link - no more weather warnings that have never worked; security PIN, extra layer of protection when I leave the JL running during the summer to keep the AC running for my dog.
They've added other features in the last year but an app option is needed to remember how to access all it can do.

Upvote 0

matt

Caught the Bug
I have been looking for a solution also, does anyone have a recomended "must watch" video for the Tazer?

Upvote 0

matt

Caught the Bug
This is a video I did when it first came out

Obviously, there have been a lot of improvements and I'll try to do an update on it soon.
Nice, thank you for the link!!.

(I can move this in to a seperate thread, dont want to hijack.)
Question about programmers these days. My last experience was with thte JK and it wasnt fun. I had an issue where a guage ended up conflicting the computer and it had to go back to the dealer to get reflashed. I dont remember what the exact issue was, sorry too long ago (2010) Something like it was married but i couldnt remove it. sorry dont remember the details.

Are we still "going back to stock" or un-marrying it if we check the JL/JT into the dealer for service?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, thank you for the link!!.

(I can move this in to a seperate thread, dont want to hijack.)
Question about programmers these days. My last experience was with thte JK and it wasnt fun. I had an issue where a guage ended up conflicting the computer and it had to go back to the dealer to get reflashed. I dont remember what the exact issue was, sorry too long ago (2010) Something like it was married but i couldnt remove it. sorry dont remember the details.

Are we still "going back to stock" or un-marrying it if we check the JL/JT into the dealer for service?
Yes, you definitely want to go back to stock prior to taking your Jeep to the dealership. The minute they hook up their scan tool, your Tazer will no longer work.

Upvote 0

Ken66

Yes, you definitely want to go back to stock prior to taking your Jeep to the dealership. The minute they hook up their scan tool, your Tazer will no longer work.
Oh, good point. With me going the JScan route, I will be removing the Vgate vLinker MC+ OBD2 adapter whenever I take my JL to the dealer. Thank you for the insight.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom