Nitto TG vs Toyo MT

CaliCrusher

I've been looking at 37x13.5x17" and have narrowed my choices down to these two tires. The one difference I see is that the Toyos are E range whereas the Nittos are D. Is this much of an issue when you go to a 37?

The reason I ask is because two weeks ago I slashed my D range 35 on a rock.
Granted I was going a little fast when I hit the rock, but it's something that's in the back of my mind now.

Attachments

• 1400430024933.jpg
    1400430024933.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 456

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speed and a hard pinch hit on a sidewall will destroy any tire. Having said that, the Toyo's have the toughest sidewalls I have run bar none. The downside is that the ride they offer can be on the firm side. I love my Trail Grapplers especially being they grip a lot better on the rocks than my old Toyos but of course, the softer rubber compound means they don't last as long. The Trail Grappler sidewalls aren't as strong as Toyos but, I haven't really seen this to be a problem and their shoulder lugs are a lot more effective than the ones on Toyos. In short, I wouldn't hesitate to run Toyos as they have been one of the best tires I have ever run but, I now prefer my Trail Grapplers for how they perform.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Just got my trail grapplers.

Tried to order them from discout tire last week and was told they are also on nationwide backorder. I had to scramble and found another place that had them in stock. Just something to keep in mind.

Hack12

I haven't run the Trail Grapplers, only the Mud Grapplers, and I am currently running the Toyo M/T's. Per usual, Eddie's analysis is spot on.

I have definitely noticed that the Toyo's wear like iron compared to the Mud Grapplers. Though, I'd imagine almost anything wears well compared to Mud Grapplers. My deciding factor was size. The Trail Grapplers didn't come in the size I was looking for. I am very happy with the Toyo's though, I would certainly buy them again.

TINMAN367

Sounds like Toyos are really the top pick with both durability and tread life but it is unfortunate they are on back order. It's good hear that Nittos are a close second. Makes me feel better about choosing to get Nittos next though. Thanks for the information.

rockcrawler26

I would go with the toyo M/Ts. They have lasted the longest of any mud tire I have owned and I currently have them on my diesel excursion. The ones on my excursion are 37/1350 and I got them in roughly 3 or 4 days. And that was just recently.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

I run 37 inch trail grapplers and love them great tire on/off road! only problem i that i have seen is the rubber is soft so i have lost a couple of chunks rubber off them nothing super bed tho, love the tire!

Big-T

Not trying to thread jack but have you looked in to the Cooper SST? We have been getting great feed back at our shop and they have had some nice tire reviews. My self I am running the Toyo's MTs in a 37, but have been thinking about trying a set of SST if i can ever wear out the Toyo's :). The SST are E rated in a 35" and D rated in a 37". This might be an option for you if the Toyos or Nittos are not available. a35x125cooperSTT.jpg

Top Bottom