New rubber for my Duramax!

Speeddmn

Not related to jeein, but come Tax season, or Powerball, whatever comes first! I will be getting new shoes for the old 1 ton, I dont tow alot, but when I do my camper loaded down is around 10k lbs.

Currently running 275/70r18 Nitto Terra's, I've gotten a few years and 35k miles from them and have 10k or so left till they are toast!

Currently I am looking at going to a 295/70r18, this way I get a better tow rating and step up in height/width a bit.

The top 4 tires and the only ones I am considering are in no particular order:
Toyo Open Country MT
Nitto Trail
Nitto Mud (35/12.5/18 though)
Cooper STT Pro

I live in Utah, I hunt, fish, camp etc! I do rack up miles due to those hobbies (think 18-20k a year). Mud, ice, rain, snow, rock, sharp rocks, and overall general bad drivers...these are things I encounter here.

I currently have the Toyos on my Jeep and they are 3 years/20k miles right now! Tons of life left but I know it weighs way less then my pickup. I had the Nitto Trails on my last 1/2 ton F150 but did a bone head move and traded it in a few days later for my GMC now. So I didnt get to see how they worked for me.

I really want the Mud Grapplers, but I worry they will wear out so fast in a 8k pound pickup! Haha

Looking for input if anyone has it for my situation. I'll get the Mud Grapplers in 37's when we wear the Toyos out on the jeep.

Rubicon john

I think the cooper stt pro is E rated. It should be good for a full size truck that pulls weight. Also the cooper is probably the cheapest in the list. Not sure about the others. I've only ran all terrain tires on my diesel rigs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of your choices (and I have run them all), I would probably go with the Toyo's first and maybe even the Cooper's second. I say the Coopers second only because I just installed a set and don't have any long term testing experience on them yet.

Speeddmn

Of your choices (and I have run them all), I would probably go with the Toyo's first and maybe even the Cooper's second. I say the Coopers second only because I just installed a set and don't have any long term testing experience on them yet.

Figured you'd chime in Eddie. I know the Coopers are pretty new and Renny is the only reason I even looked at them. They seem really nice and I would they would work for my needs.

Also since Moby is a fat pig (in a nice way!, lol) I appreciate the advice, around here the Toyo's are definitely standard issue Utah starter pack, but defense cost the most.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How about something that more along the lines of being an AT but still has a lot of MT characteristics? If so why not look into the new Nitto exo grapplers or the toyo r/t's

Speeddmn

How about something that more along the lines of being an AT but still has a lot of MT characteristics? If so why not look into the new Nitto exo grapplers or the toyo r/t's

Ive looked at both in person and neither do it for me. I see those tires and imagine a flat bill with a sticker, dc shoes giant 14" stacks and a 12" lift on my 34" tire...

I run the original Nitto Terra Grapplers and I like them, but they just dont dig enough for me to get through that crusty snow. Also in my 20 years of buying tires AT's just clog with mud way to fast and I need my first line of defense (tires) to get me through some crap that isnt very fun! Well it can be fun sometimes! Haha

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ive looked at both in person and neither do it for me. I see those tires and imagine a flat bill with a sticker, dc shoes giant 14" stacks and a 12" lift on my 34" tire...

I run the original Nitto Terra Grapplers and I like them, but they just dont dig enough for me to get through that crusty snow. Also in my 20 years of buying tires AT's just clog with mud way to fast and I need my first line of defense (tires) to get me through some crap that isnt very fun! Well it can be fun sometimes! Haha

Fair enough. That being said then how about the Goodyear duratracs as another option?

Speeddmn

Fair enough. That being said then how about the Goodyear duratracs as another option?

Those were once on the short list. Untill I actually touched one. Might have just been those that day, but the sidewall themselves felt really soft. Honestly haven't even looked at the specs for ply/tow rating etc. I know they are a great tire for the average person and I work with plenty of guys who use them. They just dont abuse the crap out of their tires like I do.

I'm not afraid to take my $65k purdy Denali up a two track to the top of a mountain where you only see jeeps! Should have taken the jeep... Lesson learned!

I'll look into them and see, they are the most aggressive all terrain tire Ive seen tho.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Those were once on the short list. Untill I actually touched one. Might have just been those that day, but the sidewall themselves felt really soft. Honestly haven't even looked at the specs for ply/tow rating etc. I know they are a great tire for the average person and I work with plenty of guys who use them. They just dont abuse the crap out of their tires like I do.

I'm not afraid to take my $65k purdy Denali up a two track to the top of a mountain where you only see jeeps! Should have taken the jeep... Lesson learned!

I'll look into them and see, they are the most aggressive all terrain tire Ive seen tho.

A bunch of guys around my area run them on their trucks and my stepdad ran them on his Nissan Xterra and used them when wheeling with me and towed our 5000lb 25' boat regularly. He just got a new f150 and I think he is going to get them again since he liked them so much.

WJCO

Meme King

A bunch of guys around my area run them on their trucks and my stepdad ran them on his Nissan Xterra and used them when wheeling with me and towed our 5000lb 25' boat regularly. He just got a new f150 and I think he is going to get them again since he liked them so much.

I know a handful of people that absolutely love them. They've convinced me for sure. But towing with a 1 ton, that may be a different story.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I would avoid the Mud Grapps. A lot of trucks here in the South run them and they all look like drag radials. Toyos are a solid tire and so are BFGs. I've had Nitto Terra grapplers on my last two diesels and I've been happy with them. But I've never been in mud with them and ended being stuck in the snow covered mountains for three days. I try to avoid wheeling in my 7,000 lb truck. Good luck with your decision.

Speeddmn

I would avoid the Mud Grapps. A lot of trucks here in the South run them and they all look like drag radials. Toyos are a solid tire and so are BFGs. I've had Nitto Terra grapplers on my last two diesels and I've been happy with them. But I've never been in mud with them and ended being stuck in the snow covered mountains for three days. I try to avoid wheeling in my 7,000 lb truck. Good luck with your decision.

I dont wheel this pickup, but to get to some areas I got miles of crap to get through. My jeep is more then capable but I would need to tow a trailer everywhere to carry all my fishing or hunting gear etc. My pickup is just more feasible. Plus an elk or two wont fit in the back of a JKUR! Stopping and haveing to winch my way up a mountain isnt my idea of fun. I know the Trail and Mud Grapplers would work, but I do think they would wear out the quickest. Looked at the Goodyear site and only see 295/65/18, that's advertised as a 33.1 tall, to short for me! Lol most of the 295/70/18's are advertised as 34.4, that more the height I am looking. If money wassnt an option I would get a 4" lift and 37's. Wife squashed that before I could get the selling points out of my mouth!!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
My buddy has a 07' LBZ with a Torsion Key lift and he runs 35s. That's pretty cheap so then you spend a little extra on the tires if you want.

Speeddmn

My buddy has a 07' LBZ with a Torsion Key lift and he runs 35s. That's pretty cheap so then you spend a little extra on the tires if you want.

If you look at load rating and capabilities of a 295/70/18 vs a 35/12.5/18 the netric sized tire wins for my use. Typically I've been seeking 4k+ for tire max load pressure (think that is what it was called) and usually 3500 or less for the 35's. Might not seem like much, but I dont want to be restricted by my tires. I know most people on or in a Jeep community doesnt look at these factors butnit will affect me for towing.

For my 2015 to run a 35 inch tire or there abouts, most everyone recommends new wheels. That is something later. I'll be shimming my front bumper fwd and up roughly 1/2 to 5/8's of an inch and turn the keys just enoigh to look and fuction to my needs.

My first diesel was a F350 with a set of pucks up front to level it and I was able to run 37s on stock wheels with no issues. It was close at fun lock but didnt rub!

I do not want to make it seem like I am not taking y'alls advice. I super appreciate it and reapect each and everyone. I've asked the same question on a couple diesel facebook pages and forums. Ive gotten an alarming sense they are mostly 'kids' and buy the 'cool' stuff. Nothing against that I was once that kid and back then chrome was what got ya home!! Then when asked strickly on a few towing sites, again it was the other side of the spectrum and no tire was what I was looking for. There are plenty of tires that will work for me for only towing. I just need a bit more on the off road side!

Ubbb69

image.jpg
If you look at load rating and capabilities of a 295/70/18 vs a 35/12.5/18 the netric sized tire wins for my use. Typically I've been seeking 4k+ for tire max load pressure (think that is what it was called) and usually 3500 or less for the 35's. Might not seem like much, but I dont want to be restricted by my tires. I know most people on or in a Jeep community doesnt look at these factors butnit will affect me for towing.

For my 2015 to run a 35 inch tire or there abouts, most everyone recommends new wheels. That is something later. I'll be shimming my front bumper fwd and up roughly 1/2 to 5/8's of an inch and turn the keys just enoigh to look and fuction to my needs.

My first diesel was a F350 with a set of pucks up front to level it and I was able to run 37s on stock wheels with no issues. It was close at fun lock but didnt rub!

I do not want to make it seem like I am not taking y'alls advice. I super appreciate it and reapect each and everyone. I've asked the same question on a couple diesel facebook pages and forums. Ive gotten an alarming sense they are mostly 'kids' and buy the 'cool' stuff. Nothing against that I was once that kid and back then chrome was what got ya home!! Then when asked strickly on a few towing sites, again it was the other side of the spectrum and no tire was what I was looking for. There are plenty of tires that will work for me for only towing. I just need a bit more on the off road side!
I am running 35" trail graps on my 2015 duramax. Stock 18" wheels work perfect. They will rub slightly on frame at cab side. I have run trail graplers on both my duramax trucks and i will not put them back on when i change. They do good but after installing toyo mt on the jeep i will switch to them on the truck also. The Toyo's are so much nicer on the highway and off.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just saw an f350 today with the new terra grappler g2's on it today and I was impressed. This was the first time I have seen this tire in person and I must say it's got tons of sipping and has some pretty deep lugs
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453148631.168548.jpg .

Top Bottom