New Build - 2023 JLU Rubicon 6 Speed

TerraJL

Hello, everyone!

Happy to be here on the best YT Channel content creator forum ever! Eddie is the man! I appreciate your videos so much. They are very detailed and very entertaining to watch. Don't ever stop! :)

I recently picked up a new JLU Rubicon, 2023. My plan is to do some decent mods for 2024 and I need your advice. (I know there's a search function on the forum, but, I wanted to consolidate my build into one post).

I need advice on a few things for my build:

1. 3.5" lift brands - I'm considering MC or Clayton Offroad or even maybe Rancho. Budget is about 3k.

2. Wheels and tires - I am probably going with 37" tires and some good beadlocks. I'd love to hear what everyone recommends. I have been eyeing KMC and will probably go with some Nitto Ridge or Trail Grapplers. I'd like to hear some advice on both wheels and tire choices.

3. Supporting mods based on a 3.5" lift and 37" tires. - What will I need to be prepared for that isn't included in the Clayton, MC or Rancho complete kits? Maybe a tire carrier for the 37 spare? Anything else that comes to mind?

4. Front and rear bumpers - I am considering aluminum bumpers but am also eyeing some steel bumpers. I like stubby front and rear bumpers. So, any recommendations would be appreciated.

5. Anything else I didn't mention above? Would love to hear your feedback!

Here's my Jeep, all stock for now:

IMG_7782.jpg

I am really happy thus far with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They have worked well for me on the highway and the traction is really good, without much noise. You should consider Falcon Wildpeak as well since they have a good reputation and are snow rated. Nobody ever got fired for buying BF Goodrich AT (also snow rated), and it is what most vehicle manufacturers are using for AT tires (but Jeep also offers Falcon Wildpeak).

Beadlock rim vendors only test with certain tires, and that may be a consideration.

When selecting tires, a lot depends on how you will use them. If you are on a paved road 99.9% of the time, then take that into consideration.

Maybe you can get by with just a 2.5" lift. There is value to less lift, if you can get away with it.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the Clayton lift on my JKU, I'd go Clayton only because it's taken a beating and no issues.

I've seen too many MC lifts fail on the trail (not sure if it was poor maintenance or just MC quality), but I've gone years without maintaining the Clayton arms, hit the trails, taken bad lines and the arms become rock rails and driven home no issues.

TerraJL

I am really happy thus far with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They have worked well for me on the highway and the traction is really good, without much noise. You should consider Falcon Wildpeak as well since they have a good reputation and are snow rated. Nobody ever got fired for buying BF Goodrich AT (also snow rated), and it is what most vehicle manufacturers are using for AT tires (but Jeep also offers Falcon Wildpeak).

Beadlock rim vendors only test with certain tires, and that may be a consideration.

When selecting tires, a lot depends on how you will use them. If you are on a paved road 99.9% of the time, then take that into consideration.

Maybe you can get by with just a 2.5" lift. There is value to less lift, if you can get away with it.
Thanks for the info! I am very likely going to stick with my beloved Nittos. :)

TerraJL

I have the Clayton lift on my JKU, I'd go Clayton only because it's taken a beating and no issues.

I've seen too many MC lifts fail on the trail (not sure if it was poor maintenance or just MC quality), but I've gone years without maintaining the Clayton arms, hit the trails, taken bad lines and the arms become rock rails and driven home no issues.
Thanks for the feedback. This is likely the road I'll go down in terms of a lift, no pun intended. Clayton lifts are meant to be maintenance free, right? I've been considering this lift:

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the feedback. This is likely the road I'll go down in terms of a lift, no pun intended. Clayton lifts are meant to be maintenance free, right? I've been considering this lift:

The Girro joints replaced the other bushings and are meant to be maintenance free. Johnny Joints depending on where you live may require maintenance but in the 14 years I've had them on my JKU, all I've done is spray them with WD40 corrosion inhibitor when spending any time in snow/salt region.

Can you elaborate on this further?
Yes, some of the beadlock wheel vendors (AEV and Hutchinson at least) provide lists of specific tires they recommend to use with their wheels. This typically has to do with the thickness and shape of the tire bead, and perhaps sidewall design. Otherwise it is good to see what others are using, and if there were any issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Happy to be here on the best YT Channel content creator forum ever! Eddie is the man! I appreciate your videos so much. They are very detailed and very entertaining to watch. Don't ever stop! :)
Awesome! Glad to hear you enjoy our videos and find them to be helpful. It's great to have you here!
1. 3.5" lift brands - I'm considering MC or Clayton Offroad or even maybe Rancho. Budget is about 3k.
With the budget you're working with, I personally would recommend Rancho and mainly because they're the most affordable. However, I have always found the quality of their products to be some of the best in spite of their lack luster name. And to be clear, I'm a guy who can afford to run whatever he wants and still prefer Rancho. Clayton is another good choice too.
2. Wheels and tires - I am probably going with 37" tires and some good beadlocks. I'd love to hear what everyone recommends. I have been eyeing KMC and will probably go with some Nitto Ridge or Trail Grapplers. I'd like to hear some advice on both wheels and tire choices.
Of all the beadlock wheels out there, KMC is who I prefer as they have the thickest rings and use the biggest bolts and most importantly, offer one of the biggest selection of style and sizes. 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend and nothing more than 4.5"-5".
3. Supporting mods based on a 3.5" lift and 37" tires. - What will I need to be prepared for that isn't included in the Clayton, MC or Rancho complete kits? Maybe a tire carrier for the 37 spare? Anything else that comes to mind?
Front drive shaft is what you'll need sooner than later. The FAD will help keep it together longer but if you wheel a lot, it will fail at the rzeppa boot.
4. Front and rear bumpers - I am considering aluminum bumpers but am also eyeing some steel bumpers. I like stubby front and rear bumpers. So, any recommendations would be appreciated.
Personally, I like the EVO quarter pounder the most as it is all about function and can be had in aluminum if that's what you really want. For the rear, I personally don't like running any bumper as most aftermarket ones weigh a ton or are just way too big for my taste.

JWasko

Caught the Bug
Somebody correct me if I've off base, but the Clayton kits don't include shocks or shock extensions, so either of those would be needed adding to the cost. Which is something the Rancho kits do come with, just something to keep in mind.

jeeeep

Hooked
Somebody correct me if I've off base, but the Clayton kits don't include shocks or shock extensions, so either of those would be needed adding to the cost. Which is something the Rancho kits do come with, just something to keep in mind.
Depends on which kit you get from either if they include shocks or not.
Both will list which shocks they recommend with the lift.
That said, I think the Rancho lifts require zero maintenance other than checking the bolts once in a while which should be done even if stock, if you do any off-roading.

jeeeep

Hooked
The Girro joints replaced the other bushings and are meant to be maintenance free. Johnny Joints depending on where you live may require maintenance but in the 14 years I've had them on my JKU, all I've done is spray them with WD40 corrosion inhibitor when spending any time in snow/salt region.
I left out the Johnny Joint ends do require the occasional greasing, they have zerk fittings.

TerraJL

Awesome! Glad to hear you enjoy our videos and find them to be helpful. It's great to have you here!

With the budget you're working with, I personally would recommend Rancho and mainly because they're the most affordable. However, I have always found the quality of their products to be some of the best in spite of their lack luster name. And to be clear, I'm a guy who can afford to run whatever he wants and still prefer Rancho. Clayton is another good choice too.

Of all the beadlock wheels out there, KMC is who I prefer as they have the thickest rings and use the biggest bolts and most importantly, offer one of the biggest selection of style and sizes. 3.5" of back spacing is what I would recommend and nothing more than 4.5"-5".

Front drive shaft is what you'll need sooner than later. The FAD will help keep it together longer but if you wheel a lot, it will fail at the rzeppa boot.

Personally, I like the EVO quarter pounder the most as it is all about function and can be had in aluminum if that's what you really want. For the rear, I personally don't like running any bumper as most aftermarket ones weigh a ton or are just way too big for my taste.
Eddie, this is great advice! And, when I said budget, I meant 3k for just the suspension budget. I plan to allocate roughly 10-15k for my entire build. I really appreciate the time and effort in your reply.

TerraJL

I just got off the phone with Randy at Clayton Off-Road. Very nice and knowledgeable person. I am definitely going with their Overland+ kit.

He also recommended that I go with the Currectlync JL/JT Heavy Duty Steering System and a steering stabilizer from Fox or Falcon. Do you guys recommend any of these additions to my build with a 3.5" lift and 37s?

I just got off the phone with Randy at Clayton Off-Road. Very nice and knowledgeable person. I am definitely going with their Overland+ kit.

He also recommended that I go with the Currectlync JL/JT Heavy Duty Steering System and a steering stabilizer from Fox or Falcon. Do you guys recommend any of these additions to my build with a 3.5" lift and 37s?
It has been mentioned in this forum that the stabilizer which comes with the Jeep works remarkably well, and may work better than aftermarket stabilizers. Jeep depends on this stabilizer to avoid warranty service.

TerraJL

Here's the list I have so far:

Clayton Off-Road
Jeep Wrangler 3.5" OVERLAND+ Lift Kit 2018+, JL / JL 4xE

Steering System
Currectlync JL/JT Heavy Duty Steering System RockJock 4x4
RockJock 4x4

Steering Stabilizer
FOX 2.0 ATS Steering Stabilizer- JT/JL

Wheels
KMC Grenade Crawl Beadlock

Tires
Nitto Trail or Ridge Grapplers or Toyo Open Country R/T or Mickey Thompson Baja Boss

Tire Carrier
Evo Heavy duty tire carrier

Bumpers
Front bumper - Evo Quarter Pounder
Rear Bumper - None

Last edited:
Top Bottom