NEVER talk to the police!

Ya I know exactly what your saying. I also think that it's worse when your young because people are very stereotypical and thing we are all trouble makers and I don't think that is right at all. Cops should always treat people with respect until they are given a reason not to no matter your age

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree that cops should treat people with respect, but if they walk up to a vehicle and aren't prepared for the worst from the first point of contact, there's a good chance that if something actually did go wrong, that officer might not get to go home to his or her family. Cops HAVE to be prepared for the unexpected, therefore they're on edge until you give them the reason to believe you're harmless. By not answering questions and being a dick to the officer will elicit the same response. Be respectful and you should get respect back. If the officer doesn't return the respect, then it's on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The young driver was being an inciteful asshat (yes, inciteful SHOULD be a word). You know what this reminds me of? That idiot Master Sergeant in Texas who was hemmed up for walking around with an M4-style weapon at the freaking LOW READY down the street. Does he have a right to carry a rifle to protect himself from coyotes? Yes. Yes he does. But slung across his chest like he's patrolling freaking Fallujah? Come on! Reasonable person standard. Would a REASONABLE person pull up to a DWI check point and tell the cop how it's going to go? Absolutely not. Would a REASONABLE person walk around an even sparsely populated area in the US with a military style rifle, especially in this day and age, slung at the low ready? No. I don't think so. The driver should have been examined further. Sure, he has a right to drive about the US without being unlawfully detained, but that cop also has a right to be able to do his job without a smartass coming through acting like he is going to set the parameters of the check. But then, maybe I'm biased.

Kevin

Bravo! Well said....

I am totally with Sharkey I this one... That kid was a douche from the get go, and his first answer to the cop was probable cause in my opinion.

When a cop is trying to tell if you are drunk, he needs to smell your breath... By refusing to roll down the window, it looks like you are attempting to hide your breath. I am totally ok with everything that cop did, and I don't think he was on a power trip.

When a cop pulls you over, 99% of the time, you set the tone for how it's gonna go. I am willing to bet that all of you who like to not answer questions "because it's your right" en up with a ticket. I have been pulled over +- 26 times. I have had two tickets, and guess what... I seriously deserved them.

I have also been let off the hook while doing 80mph in a 55, purely because the cop appreciated my honesty and respected me for it.

You have to give respect to get respect.

I hope none of you haters ever need the cops to come save you.

Not trying to fight here Chris. Just my opinion

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj;338482 I hope none of you haters ever need the cops to come save you. [/QUOTE said:
Well said David.

Good thing is, when the haters need saving, their "Temporary masters" will be their "Temporary heroes." Trust me they won't think twice about it, they won't fail to do their job because you were a douche. Nope they WILL do their best, potentially give their life for yours.

I'm sorry Chris, I thought I knew you better, but if you think a police officer is your "temporary master" when you are detained, there is no hope for you or the youth who are like-minded. I also enjoy a nice debate, but the mindset of them being a "temporary master" is dangerous, not only for you but for them as well. Bottom line is you have some control of the result of a police contact. I truly hope you don't act like this jackass if you get pulled over for speeding.

I think we have to take into consideration what our officers go through each day and what they put up with on a daily basis, it should be our responsibility to make it as easy as possible for them to find the guy who IS drunk or criminal. I agree that there are some power hungry police out there but there are also some very bad people in this world and we have to sacrifice a little to let them do their job, if we have nothing to hide this shouldn't be a problem, I write this being the first guy to get the third degree from police with the way I look long hair and all (refer to video of me Chris posted of me on how do you fund your build) :thumb:

We have endless videos of the SS, er, I mean, the cops beating the shit outta people that clearly aren’t resisting, countless videos of abuse of power, and cops being trained on how to trick people to give up their rights. This video is the kind of stuff well-meaning citizens come up with to try to fight back and draw attention to the abuse. Sad state we now live in. We used to tell kids to go to “Officer Friendly” if they ever need help. Nowadays kids are afraid of the police.

I think we have to take into consideration what our officers go through each day and what they put up with on a daily basis, it should be our responsibility to make it as easy as possible for them to find the guy who IS drunk or criminal. I agree that there are some power hungry police out there but there are also some very bad people in this world and we have to sacrifice a little to let them do their job, if we have nothing to hide this shouldn't be a problem, I write this being the first guy to get the third degree from police with the way I look long hair and all (refer to video of me Chris posted of me on how do you fund your build) :thumb:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

I talk to the police everyday. Mainly because my brother is a police CPT in Hawaii and I work in a MP BDE. Like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. But there are far more bad citizens putting the rest of us in danger. Police officers have a hard enough job without all the dumbasses who took a semester of law at the local community college trying to make a viral video. :twocents:

Sometimes I wish forums used "Like" buttons. :)

There were several things that this officer did wrong, and I won't try to make excuses for his behavior.

(What follows is not directed at Chris, it's just my .02.)

That said, all of these "how to act like a complete douche so you can brag on the web that you know more about constitutional law than Chemerinsky" videos make me sick.

Punks like this are not champions of your constitutional rights...they are just punks. Roll your fucking window down, treat the officer with a little respect and, chances are, you will get respect back.

If you are truly worried about the degradation of your constitutional rights, get involved by becoming part of the system. Vote with intelligence in the political process, both locally and federally. That includes being involved in your local legislative process to help craft law. Earn a badge, walk a beat. Earn a J.D., represent someone in front of a judge. But don't act like a douche just for the sake of it and then pretend you are protecting my rights or giving anyone good information. A douche is a douche, no matter how many times they have read the Constitution.

Sharkey are you a lawyer? If not you should be:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not to flame this but if you have nothing to hide why worry. I have been though many DUI checkpoints and have not had issues. It's kind of like random drug tests at work. If you having to hide why worry. Yes police abuse their powers but as noted above must are just like us, doing their jobs.

It's part of society and as long as people get behind the wheel buzzed, drunk or high, regardless of what they think their tolerance is. There needs to some way to stop this action and possibly save lives. If you ever had a friend or family member hurt or killed by a drunk driver, your perspective changes.

Sent from iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not to flame, but WRONG, I don't coerce, lie, abuse authority or cheat to do my job - they aren't just doing their jobs, they are abusing their authority and trying to trick by lie.

I was pulled over on my motorcycle in college at an illegal checkpoint. I had just left class in the early afternoon and was in cue behind a few cars waiting my turn. The checkpoint was in the middle of e road, just over a hill in a 55 mph zone. When I mentioned they might find a safer or better place to perform their checks I was told to pull over to the side of the road, made to remove my helmet and jacket and provide all papers for both me and my bike - no one else in front of me had to do this. When I asked if this was because I questioned the safety of their choice I was threatened with jail. Sorry, but I don't work that way and probably not any of you either.

We have endless videos of the SS, er, I mean, the cops beating the shit outta people that clearly aren’t resisting, countless videos of abuse of power, and cops being trained on how to trick people to give up their rights. This video is the kind of stuff well-meaning citizens come up with to try to fight back and draw attention to the abuse. Sad state we now live in. We used to tell kids to go to “Officer Friendly” if they ever need help. Nowadays kids are afraid of the police.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/sEvZBKwvE0k

There was wrong on both sides here. The cop could have been nicer and more professional and so could have the driver.

Obviously the video was made with only one purpose and that's fine, he'll get his 15 minutes of fame.

Idk in other states but in FL checkpoints have to be announced ahead of time and there always has to be an alternate route around the checkpoint (wether drivers use it or not is up to them).

Yes the driver doesn't have to lower the window anymore than he did but by not rolling it down more the officer can articulate that he was trying to keep the officer from smelling his breathe and completing one of the primary goals of the DUI checkpoint.

At that point the officer has reasonable suspicion that the driver is attempting to mask his breathe. At this point the officer can briefly detain the driver to conduct a brief investigation.

I couldn't see outside of the car but when the driver is asked to move his vehicle off to the side, if he were to refuse and the officer can articulate that not moving his car he is obstructing traffic, now the driver can be cited or at worst be arrested for obstruction.

As a motor vehicle operator you are required to be licensed and must present your license if stopped for a traffic infraction, in a checkpoint there is no requirement for a traffic infraction. Again refusing to provide driver license, insurance, registration could resort in citations. Without a driver license the officer can articulate that there is reason to believe you are an unlicensed driver (criminal act) and ask you to step out of your vehicle and detain you (in hand cuffs) until he can identify you and determine wether or not you in fact have a valid DL.

In ref to the k9 sniff...if they have a K9 they can run him around the outside of the vehicle without consent or permission or a warrant or anything. As far as the dog scratching up the car, that is wrong and the driver should definitely use the video to file a complaint with the department and sue them to make the department fix the scratches.

If the dog alerted or not I can't speak to it as I wasn't there and typically only the handler knows his dog's "signal." Could the handler have trained the dog to give a signal on command? It is possible and highly illegal.

There is also Supreme Court decisions that state (and I'm paraphrasing) that just because a dog alerts and no contraband was found, it does not mean it was illegal because there could be residual I or around the car. (The Supreme Court case involved a man that was stopped and arrested for drug possession after a K9 sniff and alert, he was stopped later that month again and the same dog alerted again but no drugs were found. The Supreme Court decided that knowing that there was drugs in the vehicle before, minute scent particles could still be trapped in and around the car, and the dog was capable of picking up these traces.) So maybe there were no drugs in the car during the search (most likely, since he was trying to confront the police), or the officers were not savvy enough find them, or maybe the driver was came into contact with narcotics before he got in his car or had drugs in it previously. No one can know for sure.

Anyways both the driver and officer could have behaved themselves better. Especially the officer. It seems he could take a refresher law class so that he can act more decisively and not look like a deer in the headlights and lose his temper. Departments need to invest more in education for their officers.

Officers are like people in any other profession some have tempers, some have superiority complexes, some are short, some tall, fat, skinny, etc, etc. It is hard to say which you are dealing with when you're stopped and under stress. Always try and remain calm and know that arguing with them is NOT going to make it go better for you. The arguing has to be saved for afterwards by filing complaints with the police department and the State Attorney's Office.

Always remember that that police officer you're disrespecting and cursing at, could be the one that comes to save you or your family sometimes minutes after a traffic stop, and I can almost guarantee that he/she will do whatever they can to help you and your family in an emergency.

Sorry for the long rant. Great thread!

I watch that video. I kid is in the wrong. He went out looking for a fight. What does that kid want our police office to do, his job? Then let him do it. It's a check point to see if you are under the influence of alcohol. If a person drive under the influence and drove to the checkpoint and kills someone you would probably blame the cop for not doing his job. Not rolling down the window so the cop can talk to him and blinks the cop for not giving him his constitutional right. That kid is a douche.

Top Bottom