Need some more advice

somethingclever

My last post was asking which to get first, a winch or fenders? Well since then I now have both.
My front end is sagging a little with the extra weight. I have teraflex 2.5 coil springs and bilstein 5100's. I've added a 1" teraflex spacer and I'm still not quite level.
I'd like to ask people more informed than myself (which is damn near everyone) If getting 3.5" coils for the front is the way to go. I can always add the spacers back if needed. and if so, what coils would you recommend to match up with the Bilsteins.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Really appreciate it.

Attachments

• jkpic.jpg
    jkpic.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
Put something heavy on the back, bumper, tire carrier, keep gear in the back. If you're always trying to get it perfectly level it wont be and will change every time you fill it with gas. I don't personally see the point in changing the front springs unless there is a ride issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My last post was asking which to get first, a winch or fenders? Well since then I now have both.
My front end is sagging a little with the extra weight. I have teraflex 2.5 coil springs and bilstein 5100's. I've added a 1" teraflex spacer and I'm still not quite level.
I'd like to ask people more informed than myself (which is damn near everyone) If getting 3.5" coils for the front is the way to go. I can always add the spacers back if needed. and if so, what coils would you recommend to match up with the Bilsteins.
The problem is, MOST coils do NOT yield what they're sold as. MOST tend to be way taller especially on a 2-door. In other words, if you were to get 3.5" coils up front, you'd most likely end up with your Jeep sitting crazy nose high or ass low.

Robar

The Enforcer
Your Jeep look fairly level from that pic. Maybe you just need bigger tires?

BaddestCross

Put something heavy on the back, bumper, tire carrier, keep gear in the back. If you're always trying to get it perfectly level it wont be and will change every time you fill it with gas. I don't personally see the point in changing the front springs unless there is a ride issue.
☝️ This.

Save your money for driveshafts now because they will be the first to go if you flex this thing out.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
☝️ This.

Save your money for driveshafts now because they will be the first to go if you flex this thing out.
I agree with the two prior comments suggesting you consider adding weight to the rear... Consider your future upgrade plans for the rear. Are you thinking about a new bumper? Tire carrier? Fuel or water cans? Do those first and then reevaluate! As I understand it and as others have suggested, the "advertised" lift height is often understated - especially for two doors. My understanding is that the advertised lift is based on expectations that other (heavy) upgrades will likely have already been done. Thus, you net close to the advertised rate to the degree that you have upgraded your Jeep to the weight the spring seller had in mind when they advertised their lift for being at a specific height. This understanding can be further disaggregated to the front and rear of the vehicle. That is, perhaps you are getting close to this weight on the front, but are still well under it for the rear. You will also have to consider any weight reduction modifications you have done. For example, are you still running the rear seat? If you have removed it, this will be more weight you need to add to the rear to get to balance. Like so many things, getting the perfect stance may be an illusive goal causing you to try numerous springs and other options until you get it "right" only to have this work undone with your next upgrade. Say you increase your tire size, as was suggested. Well, now you have added more weight to the rear that you may have just got balanced to the front from a stance perspective only to have the increased weight of the rear tire cause the rear to squat more sending you back to the drawing board. Lastly I'd say, I think some spring sellers also factor in maintaining the factory weight so that when under load - either in the form of payload or via a trailer - the rear can squat a little without going lower than the front and adversely affecting handling. Good luck! I know things like this can be frustrating...

Zeus

Take your winch rope under the Jeep hook it to the tow bar and pull the rear down a bit :ROFLMAO: just joking.

3.5 will not work, I agree with Eddie you will have a crazy lifter front end.

desertrunner

As a 2dr guy that mixed and matched springs and spacers and trying to get the right height I'd recommend leaving the front alone if you like the ride. I have mine pretty level unloaded but as soon as I put my tool box and gear to go wheeling in it sits ass low. As mentioned if you get a 3.5" spring (especially teraflex) you will probably see closer to 5" of lift up front and that opens a whole nother can of worms with driveshaft, drag link flip (assuming you don't have those already). FWIW I am running 2" Evo plush rides and a 1" spacer up front on 37s and I'm not sure if want to be all that much higher. So you are probably at a good height in the front. Maybe look at a different spring for the rear that will sit a little lower.
What rear springs are you using?

Top Bottom