Need help with new engine noise

14JK-U

Thanks I would really appreciate it. Sounds like it’s coming from the driver side rear inner fender to me. I had my inners our a couple of days while I swapped over to my EVO inners.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I haven't pulled my inner out yet but will next week for some cheap flats I picked up. Is there anything on the drivers side that could cause a noise like this other than the belt and pulleys forward of the motor? Everything I've seen says all the electronics and guts are on the passenger side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

whytiptoe

I haven't pulled my inner out yet but will next week for some cheap flats I picked up. Is there anything on the drivers side that could cause a noise like this other than the belt and pulleys forward of the motor? Everything I've seen says all the electronics and guts are on the passenger side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope there is not, that’s why it threw me, just can not pinpoint where it’s coming from.

jeeeep

Hooked
sounds like a starter hanging

I'd get a long piece of round thin metal, put one end on the starter housing and have someone start it up while you put your ear to the other end.

I say long piece so you don't have to lie under the jeep while it's running.

If it were me, I'd have the front up on jack stands so I could lay under it and listen with the mechanics stethoscope...harbor freight $4.

you can probably see if it's disengaging while you're underneath too.

I have remote start so it makes it a little easier to deal with these kind of noises

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have a 17 with 4000 on it.... I recently noticed a very subtle version of that on warm up.... just figured my new RH skid was enhancing something.... curious what you find out. I’ll pay a little more attention to mine as well.

BerserkerJK

I had a very similar sound and it turned out to be an idler pulley on the passenger side. Pain in the ass because sometimes it sounds like its everywhere. Good luck, interested to see what you find out. Have you ran it without the belt yet?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
All good suggestions. Didn’t think of starter hang. I won’t be able to do any more until Monday but I’ll check back in with what I find. Probably going to dig deeper and start with removing the air dam and the belt. I have to be quick though because it will only do if for a few minutes after a cold (almost overnight) start. Again thanks for the tips

Yeah definitely under warranty I’m just ‘dealer shy’ from all of the times I’ve been burned by the ‘we can’t replicated the issue’ bring it back when it catastrophically fails.’ I would like to at least have an idea before I take that step. Appreciate the help guys. I’ll keep digging and let you know what I find

Anytime I have to go to the dealer, I always self diagnosis and educate myself as best I can. Coming across as schooled, interested to get the issue solved, and never a smart a $$ I think helps.

Recently too a bunch of photos of a oil leak I had turned them in when I went to have them fix it. (Turned out to be timing chain cover leaking)

Good luck to OP.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Sorry I forgot to update. Won’t have a chance to get to the dealer this week. Going to keep hunting it down myself as long as it’s running perfect and no dash lights.

kawimoto

Hey guys I thought I would get some opinions before I take it to the dealer. So it’s a 2017 jkur with about 9300 on the odometer. Runs great no codes. I get this whining noise on cold starts after it’s sat for at least 4-5 hours. I’ve done my best to pinpoint where it’s coming from and from what I can tell it’s from around the oil pan area. Wondering if the oil pump is already going?
The noise increases with rpm and after about 5-7 minutes it’s gone. I watched the oil pressure when starting it this time and it did seem to go away as the pressure came down to 34-37 psi as engine warmed up. Not sure if it’s related though. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

that seems high on oil pressure for idle warmed up. I'm usually around 40psi when cruising at normal op temp. any chance the old filter had anything come apart that could be in line raising pressure and causing the whine?

JeepJeep75

That sounds exactly like a noise I have. I believe the noise is simply just the alternator. It’s pretty loud if run my battery down a bit. Battery is an Oddesy. I noticed the noise on right after I installed it. My noise completely goes away after warm up also. Only 36k miles on my ‘15. But, as other have mentioned, it could be an idler pulley.

Top Bottom