Name That JEEP Part

Moochie

Automatic transmission skid plate for a 2007-10. I don't have one because Moby was a 6-speed, Rubicat is a 2012 but Nemo and VENGEANCE both had one. The real question is, what is was wrong with ALL of them right from the factory?

Grass and brush would get stuck in between the skid and transmission, starting fires.

JeepFan

Hooked
Transmission skid? Pretty sure my 2 door had one

Correct!

Automatic transmission skid plate for a 2007-10. I don't have one because Moby was a 6-speed, Rubicat is a 2012 but Nemo and VENGEANCE both had one. The real question is, what is was wrong with ALL of them right from the factory?

Correct x2!!

Grass and brush would get stuck in between the skid and transmission, starting fires.

Correct again!

Strange thing is I've seen brush get caught around the 2015 Auto Trans guard close to the exhaust. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with the automatic skid plate has nothing to do with brush. It's a design error that made it all the way to manufacturing. :crazyeyes:

Moochie

The problem with the automatic skid plate has nothing to do with brush. It's a design error that made it all the way to manufacturing. :crazyeyes:

I had trouble with mine after my first lift was installed. With the extra droop I was getting, the front driveshaft would hit the skid plate. After some grinding I was able to fix the problem. There was also a recall from Chrysler to change out the skid to a new design, due to plants getting trapped near the cat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had trouble with mine after my first lift was installed. With the extra droop I was getting, the front driveshaft would hit the skid plate. After some grinding I was able to fix the problem.

Oh, you're so close but, I'm gonna wait a bit longer until someone who can give their skid plate a closer look to chime in before answering this. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bet all those little holes and notches in the plate didn't help.

The holes and notches are not the problem but, the error in design is physically manufactured into the skid and it's very easy to see if you know what you're looking at. :crazyeyes:

Moochie

The holes and notches are not the problem but, the error in design is physically manufactured into the skid and it's very easy to see if you know what you're looking at. :crazyeyes:

Broken and rusted skid plate bolts? Nutserts? The fire issue was only a problem with the 2010's. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Broken and rusted skid plate bolts? Nutserts? The fire issue was only a problem with the 2010's. :)

The issue I am referring to is a "design error", not a "problem". It's something that would have been a beneficial feature. :crazyeyes:

Moochie

The issue I am referring to is a "design error", not a "problem". It's something that would have been a beneficial feature. :crazyeyes:

I don't remember if it covered up the engine oil drain plug or not. Maybe an access hole for this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't think this is something you could guess - you'd have to look at the skid to see the error. I do have a photo of this but that would give it away.

WJCO

Meme King
Could they have machined a saddle or valley in it where the driveshaft wouldn't hit it at all? Just guessing here. Now I'm curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could they have machined a saddle or valley in it where the driveshaft wouldn't hit it at all? Just guessing here. Now I'm curious.

Hot damn, you got it!! Or at least, close enough. As you can see in the photo below, Jeep did in fact design into the skid plate an embossed valley and even a trimmed the front lip to help accommodate the droop of a front drive shaft. Only problem is, THEY PUT IT ON THE WRONG SIDE! Instead of placing this feature on the driver side where the drive shaft is, they put it on the passenger side where nothing is. :crazyeyes:

main.php

main.php

Top Bottom