Mystery Leak on JL Wrangler with Manual Transmission

dustdriver

Bummer! Hope it is fixed quick.
Aside from this, what are your overall impressions of the driving experience with the 6-speed in the Sport? When I was shopping I test drove two, 4-door manual Rubicons, and honestly I was a little underwhelmed... they felt kind of clunky and mismatched to me. Maybe that would change after driving it awhile. But I'm wondering if the base model, like the Sport, would feel any different? I'd like to take one for a test drive, but can't find a 2-door manual that is NOT a Rubicon within driving range anywhere... rare creatures, these basic JL's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer! Hope it is fixed quick.
Aside from this, what are your overall impressions of the driving experience with the 6-speed in the Sport? When I was shopping I test drove two, 4-door manual Rubicons, and honestly I was a little underwhelmed... they felt kind of clunky and mismatched to me. Maybe that would change after driving it awhile. But I'm wondering if the base model, like the Sport, would feel any different? I'd like to take one for a test drive, but can't find a 2-door manual that is NOT a Rubicon within driving range anywhere... rare creatures, these basic JL's.
Honestly, there's nothing special about the manual other than the fact that it's a manual. I mean, I love mine for what it is but without question, the 8-speed automatic is a far superior transmission in terms of performance.

dododad

I agree, nothing really significant difference when driving it. You could test drive it just for you to feel if on your parts there's any difference.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Just caught up on this. That’s a bummer but hopefully it’s just an overfill issue. Sometimes it seems like peoples attention to detail these days is just not what it used to be.

JAGS

Hooked
That sucks. Certainly not the way to start new ownership. Even if it is something minor. Which hopefully it is.

tnjeepguy

"Both the 392 and the Rubicon fitted with the Xtreme Recon package will benefit from 4.56:1 final drive gearing, while manual-equipped Rubicon models will get a 4.88:1 final drive ratio. When combined with the 5.13:1 first gear of the manual transmission, the 4:1 transfer case on the Rubicon, and the 4.88 final drive gears, the Wrangler will be available with an incredibly impressive and industry-first factory 100:1 crawl ratio."

Talking about the new Jeep with 35's. Did they change the first gear ratio on the NSG 370 6 sp ??

trailraider

note, This manual trans uses ATF.

UPDATE: sorry , the TSB I was thinking about was for a KL body line.

Last edited:

DanW

Honestly, there's nothing special about the manual other than the fact that it's a manual. I mean, I love mine for what it is but without question, the 8-speed automatic is a far superior transmission in terms of performance.
Really? How? The quickest Jeep you can order is the one you bought. C&D clocked it at 6.5 seconds 0-60. No auto gets there that quick. Close, but not quite.

Maybe 1mpg better with the auto. Big deal. Otherwise, I'll take the manual all day over the auto.

Not saying the auto isn't great. But I'll quote my wife: "It isn't a real Jeep if it doesn't have a manual." End of story. (For me, anyway. Lol!)

I'll bet it is just a seal. Should be a simple fix. Hopefully they can get the seal quickly.

And btw, manual fans, I am running Red LIne C+ ATF in my manual. It was smooth before, but slightly smoother now. I swapped it in at about 42k miles or so and have 47k on it now.

Really? How? The quickest Jeep you can order is the one you bought. C&D clocked it at 6.5 seconds 0-60. No auto gets there that quick. Close, but not quite.

Maybe 1mpg better with the auto. Big deal. Otherwise, I'll take the manual all day over the auto.

Not saying the auto isn't great. But I'll quote my wife: "It isn't a real Jeep if it doesn't have a manual." End of story. (For me, anyway. Lol!)

I'll bet it is just a seal. Should be a simple fix. Hopefully they can get the seal quickly.

And btw, manual fans, I am running Red LIne C+ ATF in my manual. It was smooth before, but slightly smoother now. I swapped it in at about 42k miles or so and have 47k on it now.
C&D likely has expert drivers. It requires skill and practice to shift a manual close to what a good automatic can do. That is why most modern sports cars no longer offer a manual.

I prefer manual transmissions but got a 2 door with the automatic in case my wife needs to drive it. Besides, I had heard that the 8 speed automatic is really good.

My Rubicon 2 door has the E-Torque option with the 2L turbo. It accelerates quite quickly and I think that I would only slow it down with a manual. This engine is not one which will impress your friends since it does not sound very good.

Nevertheless, I do miss shifting a manual since I find it very satisfying outside of traffic jams (where it becomes a torture device). When I still had a CJ-5, there were times I put it in 2WD low while in extremely slow traffic.

Brute

Hooked

C&D likely has expert drivers. It requires skill and practice to shift a manual close to what a good automatic can do. That is why most modern sports cars no longer offer a manual.

I prefer manual transmissions but got a 2 door with the automatic in case my wife needs to drive it. Besides, I had heard that the 8 speed automatic is really good.

My Rubicon 2 door has the E-Torque option with the 2L turbo. It accelerates quite quickly and I think that I would only slow it down with a manual. This engine is not one which will impress your friends since it does not sound very good.

Nevertheless, I do miss shifting a manual since I find it very satisfying outside of traffic jams (where it becomes a torture device). When I still had a CJ-5, there were times I put it in 2WD low while in extremely slow traffic.
All newer Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston M's etc...all have dual clutch autos...with paddles....they simply outperform manual gearboxes...

Brute

Hooked
Now days a benefit to a manual is it’s an anti theft device.
you know, that is a good point :ROFLMAO:
I haven’t driven a manual in years...my last manual I drove was a 3series bmw convertible...12 years ago...but I could still drive one now. I learned to drive in an F100 3-spd column shift...my first car was a ‘68 vw bus...none of my kids have ever driven a manual...

wjtstudios

Hooked
I haven’t driven a manual in years...my last manual I drove was a 3series bmw convertible...12 years ago...but I could still drive one now. I learned to drive in an F100 3-spd column shift...my first car was a ‘68 vw bus...none of my kids have ever driven a manual...
I fully intend on teaching my kids on the scrambler once they are old enough, it is a lost art!

DanW

All newer Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston M's etc...all have dual clutch autos...with paddles....they simply outperform manual gearboxes...
Not nearly as engaging, though. The peformance is VERY close with a good driver. But we're talking Wranglers, not Lambos or Ferraris. The quickest Wrangler tested until the 392 was a 6 speed Sport. So in this case, according to your criteria, wouldn't that make the manual better?

In all fairness, yes, generally autos are outperforming manuals, but barely. And for A LOT more expense. But they are also at the expense of driver skill and engagement, nice as they are.

Btw, don't assume the C&D writers are expert manual drivers. They are likely not. A Motor Trend writer admitted that to me. He said they have lost much of their skill set because they don't drive them often and when they do, not for a great number of miles. I had been ribbing him over his reports of stalling the JL manual repeatedly, in spite of a VERY short first gear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hope it's simple, quick, with readily available parts.
Well, dropped her off when they opened at 7:30 am. They said they should have news of whatever they find before the end of the day. So, I'm hoping to post up something by this evening.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Well, dropped her off when they opened at 7:30 am. They said they should have news of whatever they find before the end of the day. So, I'm hoping to post up something by this evening.
Like WJ said, hope it’s something simple. And then back to reliving the good old days!

Top Bottom