Mystery Clunk Wednesday

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey Y'all! I've developed a loud clunking sound and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Please watch this short YT video and tell me what you think?

I don't see anything in the suspension that matches it. My truck did get vandalized and they (supposedly) took the bed off to repaint it. Maybe it's loose? Any idea where I check the mounting bolts?

Sounds like a Jeep to me! Haha

I’d start with just checking control arm joints and see if you can see any witness marks of any bolts having lateral movement. Your rear sway bar links look pretty new but also take a look at the heim joints as they can make a popping noise if they get some play in them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Y'all! I've developed a loud clunking sound and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Please watch this short YT video and tell me what you think?

I don't see anything in the suspension that matches it. My truck did get vandalized and they (supposedly) took the bed off to repaint it. Maybe it's loose? Any idea where I check the mounting bolts?

Sounds to me like a suspension component shifting. I would check to make sure that the sway bar links, shock bolts, track bar and control arm bolts are all tightened to torque spec.

I really doubt that the sound is coming from the bed but the bolts for it can be found along the frame rails. If I recall, there are 6 of them.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Thanks y'all! I yellow stripped all my bolts and every single one is intact and I didn't see any scratches on the sides of them to indicate movement. I'll go back through them tough. It also just occurred to me that I didn't look to see if I had a bad control arm bushing. Is that even a thing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks y'all! I yellow stripped all my bolts and every single one is intact and I didn't see any scratches on the sides of them to indicate movement. I'll go back through them tough. It also just occurred to me that I didn't look to see if I had a bad control arm bushing. Is that even a thing?
I would NOT rely on painted bolts. If you didn't get them tightened to proper torque spec, they would remain as is but still allow for shifting. And, it doesn't take a lot of movement to cause a clunk.

If you have uniballs on any of your joints, a worn out one will cause a clunk like that. cleavite bushings or even johnny joints will not.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I would NOT rely on painted bolts. If you didn't get them tightened to proper torque spec, they would remain as is but still allow for shifting. And, it doesn't take a lot of movement to cause a clunk.

If you have uniballs on any of your joints, a worn out one will cause a clunk like that. cleavite bushings or even johnny joints will not.
LOL and that’s exactly what happened. My passenger rear control arms weren’t tight at all. The yellow paint was a lie! Also I realized I’ve never checked the upper shock mounts since they’re covered by the fender liner; also loose. My rear sway bar uppers were also loose even though they’re a week old. I pulled those and hit ‘em with blue loftier. You guys saved the day again, I’m clunk free!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL and that’s exactly what happened. My passenger rear control arms weren’t tight at all. Also I realized I’ve never checked the upper shock mounts since they’re covered by the fender liner; also loose. My rear sway bar uppers were also loose even though they’re a week old. I pulled those and hit ‘em with blue loftier. You guys saved the day again, I’m clunk free!
awesome! Glad to hear we were able to help point you in the right direction and that you were able to get rid of your clunks! (y)

Top Bottom