My lift finally came in

Jk909

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411786623.252210.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411786637.006638.jpg I just took it for a spin and man it finally rides like a jeep. I love the fox shocks. Now it's time for some better tires

Jk909

Help?

So I was driving around in my jeep today testing out the new lift when I noticed an odd sound. It's a bit of a vibration/rattling sound, it's not very loud and it only happens accelerating from about 0-5 mph. After that it goes away. It only happens when accelerating really slowly. Any ideas guys?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
So I was driving around in my jeep today testing out the new lift when I noticed an odd sound. It's a bit of a vibration/rattling sound, it's not very loud and it only happens accelerating from about 0-5 mph. After that it goes away. It only happens when accelerating really slowly. Any ideas guys?

It might be your driveshaft. Did you happen to change to an aftermarket DS?

Jk909

No the kit came with an exhaust spacer and I was told it would be fine. There is a good amount of space in between the two. But the noise is definitely coming from up front somewhere. Was I supposed to change the drve shaft?

KingCopperhead

No the kit came with an exhaust spacer and I was told it would be fine. There is a good amount of space in between the two. But the noise is definitely coming from up front somewhere. Was I supposed to change the drve shaft?

I get a similar rattle at low rpm. It could be one of the heat shields under the jeep. Also check all of your bolts on the suspension that you may have needed to remove when installing your lift. I literally had the rear shock bolt fall out on a road trip a month ago.

As for your drive shaft: I would try to get a good look under the jeep when it's flexed out to see if you're making any contact. I did this with an RTI ramp. With the exhaust spacers on a 3 inch lift I had no contact. Yours could be different though. Eventually we will both need new shafts :-( hopefully later than sooner.

Last edited:

Jk909

after driving it Some more this morning I noticed it doesn't do it when everything is cold. It took a little bit of driving to warm up and make the noise.

JeepDrum

Good lookin Jeep! It could be just driveline vibes since your front drive shaft is at a steeper angle now. Mine does the same thing. I can kind of feel it more than I can hear it. I don't really worry about mine though since it isn't actually making contact with anything. I figure I'll just run the stock one until it craps out then upgrade

Jk909

Good lookin Jeep! It could be just driveline vibes since your front drive shaft is at a steeper angle now. Mine does the same thing. I can kind of feel it more than I can hear it. I don't really worry about mine though since it isn't actually making contact with anything. I figure I'll just run the stock one until it craps out then upgrade

Thanks! I tossed the jack under it and picked it up from the frame so I could get some good flex. The drive shafts weren't touching anything. I think you may be correct, it may just be the steep angle causing the noise. I don't mind if I have to replace it soon. I'm just upset that I was misinformed and it's really loud making my new car sound like crap. I feel like I'm in high school driving my $3000 dollar yj again.

Jk909

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411955747.156828.jpg ok so I figured out what it is. The rear track bar relocation brackets come off of the frame to drop the track bar. This is the proper way to do it but it's right above the exhaust which explains why I only hear it when I'm moving and warmed up. Simple to fix but I thought I'd show you guys incase you ever hear the same noise and can't figure out where it's coming from.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
View attachment 102793 ok so I figured out what it is. The rear track bar relocation brackets come off of the frame to drop the track bar. This is the proper way to do it but it's right above the exhaust which explains why I only hear it when I'm moving and warmed up. Simple to fix but I thought I'd show you guys incase you ever hear the same noise and can't figure out where it's coming from.

I would recommend ditching that bracket and getting a axle side raised bracket.

olram30

Thanks for your advise but why and how much should I expect to spend?

The problem with frame side drop brackets is they put a lot of stress and sometimes break the factory track bar bracket off. Aside from the clearance issues, they also lower your roll center. I would look into a quality axle side bracket that uses u bolts to such as the evo bracket.

Jk909

The problem with frame side drop brackets is they put a lot of stress and sometimes break the factory track bar bracket off. Aside from the clearance issues, they also lower your roll center. I would look into a quality axle side bracket that uses u bolts to such as the evo bracket.

Ok thanks. I must have misread one of Eddies write ups. I thought it was supposed to be done this way. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll call off-road evolution tomorrow to see if they can help me out. They are on my way home from work:thumb:

olram30

Ok thanks. I must have misread one of Eddies write ups. I thought it was supposed to be done this way. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll call off-road evolution tomorrow to see if they can help me out. They are on my way home from work:thumb:

Just so I'm clear, your kit does have a frame side drop bracket. And the track bar on the axle side is in the factory spot.

Top Bottom