My Jeep pilgrimage to the promised land...Moab!

After the buttclenching events from the previous night, we woke up with new vigor and were excited to continue the adventure. Before hitting Moab, I really wanted to stop in Colorado and hit the trails outside Ouray (Imogene, black bear pass, etc) but unfortunately those trails are closed through August or so, but my desire to hit a mountain pass remained...luckily, just outside Moab reside the La Sal Mountains (pictured in the background of the delicate arch photo above) and La Sal Pass takes us all the way to the top of them (almost) at 10,500 feet. So, excited, we set out on our little adventure.

We initially missed the turn and drove too far, and ran into a place called the hole in the rock....

This was originally a diner/truck stop during the times of the uranium craze in the Moab area, but was later turned into a private home of the couple that owned it...they blasted a 5000 square foot home into the rock, and the engineering in there is incredible. Perfect 65-72 degrees year round, fireplace, etc etc etc. I won't give too much away in case you guys ever make it out there, the tour is only $6 and is very interesting.

After the tour, we ventured back towards the La Sal Mountains in search of the pass. Now, the 4WD guidebook I was using recommended I do not run this pass in the wet, but my stupid though process was "this book isn't written for Jeeps, but for everyone, which includes 4wd subarus, X3s, etc...my Jeep will be fine."

So, we found the road, and ventured in...starting at 4000ft or so. I will upload my gopro video of the run later (takes time for Vimeo to decode) but it was quite a doozy.

The pass started off a 4 out of 10, with lots of rocks and shelf road characteristics. I was praying that my tires will hold up and not puncture...those rocks were REALLY sharp. Luckily, I was spared the pain of getting a flat tire on that pass. So, onwards...driving up this steep shelf road, I got an uneasy feeling, like I shouldn't be doing this....but my dumbass kept going. At around 6K feet, we begin to see signs of snow, but it was the remnants of the winter snow, and it was only splotches of it scattered around....no big deal. Now the rain has started to pick up, and the road was getting muddy. The Jeep started dancing when "exiting" from taller rocks, but nothing I was concerned with on this 6K foot shelf road.

Once we crossed 7000 feet, it began to snow. It caught me offguard, but again, I kept going. At about 8000 feet, it was starting to get worse...now there was actual snow on the ground....

It didn't look too bad, and I kept at it, trying to reach the summit. Determined, onwards I went....at 8500 feet, I could no longer see the trail, it was snow covered completely with about 6" of snow. The trail also had a number of splits where I went the wrong way and ended up on a dead end, having to back up back to the split (not fun.) Finally, after another hour or so, I reached a very steep hill at 9200 feet right past a snow melt creek.....after crossing the creek, my front axle immediately dropped...for those that read my Canada winter Jeep thread, getting buried there, I learned that feeling and knew immediately that if I cross this creek Im SOL. It was the off season for this pass and the chance of someone else coming up there would be zero. I got out of the Jeep to survey the situation, stepped right into a freezing cold creek, and saw that the snow on the other side of the creek was 3 feet deep...coupled with a damn near 40 degree slope, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I finally made the call to give it up and turn back. Sadly I don't have photos of this, but I do have my gopro run (up to 8300 feet, then the card filled up (dammit) ) so I'll post that a bit later.

Lesson of the day....take the hint...some things just are meant to be left for another time. I gambled, and didnt lose, but it was a stupid gamble, and not one I would risk again. Fun? Absolutely. Dangerous and stupid? You bet your ass.

We then decided to come down the mountain, and try another pass (geyser pass) which was the easier side of the mountain, so down we went....Jeep looked pretty muddy after this descent.

8734744600_b6a56e99d3_c.jpg

8733627603_7454dfb6f2_c.jpg

8733627297_b568f0417c_c.jpg

Geyser pass didn't turn out to be much better. Although the road was MUCH easier and fun, it was still pretty covered in snow.

Not wanting to deal with the La Sal pass conditions, we turned around and headed back to Moab.

8734745010_7ea3b38e32_c.jpg

It was now getting late, so we decided to grab dinner, and call it an early night, hoping for a more fulfilling and less stressful day tomorrow....

Since our location (cabin) was very close to Gemini Bridges, I decided to swing by and check them out. It was a pretty quick drive there, but the views are amazing. We stumbled across a few other Jeepers there, but this was one of the few times we encountered anyone else on the trail with us.

The bridges themselves (you can't tell it's two of them)

8734753476_8470feb345_c.jpg

Canyon view
8733636895_7d7fca258e_c.jpg

Now the Gemini bridges have a reputation for stupidity. These are basically two "bridges" and there is a gap between them about 5-6 feet long. Many tards try and jump the gap, except there isn't much to catch you on the other side, so numerous people have fallen to their deaths here.

(not my photo)
gemini3.jpg

For the rest of the two days, we were going to random trails and checking out some cool sites. Saw a few petroglyphs....

Driving around somewhere :rofl: I think it was in the Top of the World/Onion Creek area. (forgive me, I forgot which trails were which on some of the photos)

8733631643_0e3d7e5e2e_c.jpg

8733631023_3b32918a45_c.jpg

8733630735_cbe8f83611_c.jpg

8734747296_e2b2c8f711_c.jpg

8733630137_8f68dd13e2_c.jpg

8734746438_9790965811_c.jpg

8733629347_b0523a1f78_c.jpg

Trail during sunset....place is truly stunning...

8733629059_8fc756a7b9_c.jpg

8734745780_2face40884_c.jpg

The last day we went to check out Fisher towers and the delores river overlook...both were really beautiful places...

Entering delores river overlook area...

8733624827_0e0ca5e0ec_c.jpg

Everywhere you look is a god damn screensaver

8734741182_7433c163e9_c.jpg

8734740728_9714030cdd_c.jpg

Fischer Towers

8734740562_18e93e92b0_c.jpg

Heading deeper towards delores river...

8733624579_876828c378_c.jpg

Part of the way to delores river, saw some beautiful bluffs, and figured a few snaps are in order....

8734738708_9b51652dfc_c.jpg

8733622309_882b6af77e_c.jpg

Getting up to the overlook (long LONG drive, area is EXTREMELY remote) we got hungry....being far away from town, time to break out some more emergency food....

Some boars head hotdogs...best damn hotdogs money can buy.....always handy in a food emergency :D

And finally, some pictures of the actual overlook....

8733623273_e0d5c5781d_c.jpg

8733623073_93f93d98da_c.jpg

8734739410_e730aff0df_c.jpg

We relaxed here for the next few hours enjoy the view and the breeze, and then packed up and headed back to town. This also gave me a chance to test out my offroad lights, which didn't disappoint...it's like driving around with the sun.

Last edited:
Great travel and amaaaaaaaaaaazing pictures, congrats !!! what size of wheels and height suspension do you have? thanks

The wheels are Level 8 trackers with 33x12.50x15" duratracs. The suspension is just a teraflex performance (coil) leveling kit. My rig is 99% daily driven, so I didn't want to do anything crazy.

What photo rig are you using? And is your HDR being processed in-camera or are you doing post-production with Photoshop?

Wow what amazing pictures man! Looks like u had an amazing time! I hope to make moab one day! Sick pics man! :beer::beer:

What photo rig are you using? And is your HDR being processed in-camera or are you doing post-production with Photoshop?

I shoot with a Canon 1DsMKIII and an assortment of glass, but these were taken with a 16-35 F2.8. For places like Moab, I like wide and wider. :D]]

As for processing, I do everything in post. I shoot raw and everything else is done later.

Top Bottom