My Jeep feels like I’m driving an ice skate at highway speeds

MtnJeep08

My Jeep feels like I’m driving an ice skate at highway speeds. I have a 2008 JKUR with a 3.5 inch lift and 37’s. I replaced the ball joints unit bearings tierod ends draglink track bar and steering stabilizer and had it aligned. The bumpsteer is terrible and I was told I didn’t need a draglink flip for that amount of lift. Will the draglink flip get rid of the bumpsteer and wandering?What am I missing? It’s a white knuckle drive at speeds over 55.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
My Jeep feels like I’m driving an ice skate at highway speeds. I have a 2008 JKUR with a 3.5 inch lift and 37’s. I replaced the ball joints unit bearings tierod ends draglink track bar and steering stabilizer and had it aligned. The bumpsteer is terrible and I was told I didn’t need a draglink flip for that amount of lift. Will the draglink flip get rid of the bumpsteer and wandering?What am I missing? It’s a white knuckle drive at speeds over 55.

The draglink flip should help.. also double check the toe.. it should be about 1/8” toe in... Caster should be around 4.2*... Also , everything may be really tight now because of the new balljoints etc... you could try removing the stabilizer until things wear in a bit... And tire pressure could be too high as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King

Bumpsteer is where you hit a bump or hole and the steering wheel jerks in one direction. Wandering is more where the vehicle is just constantly drifting back and forth and you're constantly having to correct the steering wheel to stay straight. Which one are you experiencing?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The answers I've seen are spot on. If I could guess, you might need a bit more caster. Flightiness at highway speeds is completely normal after a lift as tall as yours.

Upvote 0

MtnJeep08

The draglink flip should help.. also double check the toe.. it should be about 1/8” toe in... Caster should be around 4.2*... Also , everything may be really tight now because of the new balljoints etc... you could try removing the stabilizer until things wear in a bit... And tire pressure could be too high as well.

I will check that and order the flip thank you

Upvote 0

MtnJeep08

Bumpsteer is where you hit a bump or hole and the steering wheel jerks in one direction. Wandering is more where the vehicle is just constantly drifting back and forth and you're constantly having to correct the steering wheel to stay straight. Which one are you experiencing?

Definitely getting both.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom