My floorboard is chipping away

zack.colo

So I noticed on the floorboard, under the driver's feet, there is a layer of goofy shit painted as maybe a protective coat and/or thermal insulator? Well there is a decent chip with a bunch of cracks shooting out from around it. I am planning on lining the interior as soon as the weather gets better, but this might pose a problem. The chip leaves a hole.. maybe 1/4" deep to the metal floorboard.

cracks spread to fingertips

jk floor.jpg

I could spray right over the hole, but that remaining layer is brittle, so this is a bad idea.

I could chip the rest of it out and replace it with something similar properties.

I could try giving chrysler a ring, but I could take a guess at what they'll tell me (it's an '07).

Any ideas?

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So I noticed on the floorboard, under the driver's feet, there is a layer of goofy shit painted as maybe a protective coat and/or thermal insulator? Well there is a decent chip with a bunch of cracks shooting out from around it. I am planning on lining the interior as soon as the weather gets better, but this might pose a problem. The chip leaves a hole.. maybe 1/4" deep to the metal floorboard.

cracks spread to fingertips

View attachment 69625

I could spray right over the hole, but that remaining layer is brittle, so this is a bad idea.

I could chip the rest of it out and replace it with something similar properties.

I could try giving chrysler a ring, but I could take a guess at what they'll tell me (it's an '07).

Any ideas?

Worst case scenario, calling Chrysler, you could find out why and what that "goofy shit" is there. Give you a better starting point on how to approach it. That's if you don't get a better answer than mine on here. :beer:

JK12

I think it's just sound insulator and for a cleaner look people grind it off when they bed line the tub. Now if the hole goes through the tub then that's a problem but you can grind it off and it will be fine

StrizzyChris

Grind it out. It's not important and you don't want to waste your time and money doing touch up work when it chips again.

biggy

All that stuff does is trap water underneath. Many guys have removed it for bed lining and have found surface rust there. In fact I know personally a guy who's floor board was rusted completely through under the insulation. I'll try and find a pic.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

biggy

Just remove and be done with it. An air chisel works well I found. Here are the pics of a wheeling buddy of mine 07 jk

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1392658595026.jpg
    1392658595026.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 1392658610459.jpg
    1392658610459.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 95

zack.colo

Thanks a lot guys. This stuff is coming out before the jeep get's lined. how necessary is it to replace this crap? Does anyone have personal experience with paint on heat insulators? Lizard skin sounds great, but is a little expensive.

biggy

With it removed you will feel a bit of a heat increase but with a good set of floor mats it will mitigate most of it. I removed it and raptor lined the entire tub.

Top Bottom