My Conversation with the Dearler today

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Thought I would share this with you all. Three weeks ago I dropped my2012 JKRU off to get a recall issue fixed and a leaking transfer case. This is the second time for the t-case. After they had the Jeep for a week they called and said there was a stress crack in the t-case and that since it was modified it was not covered under warranty. Being an inquisitive fellow that I am I stopped by to see what exactly the details were. It turns out that the stress crack runs from just below the front pinion up to the transmission to the bell housing and to the back of the block. Hummm.... How did this happen I ask. The service writer and the mechanic proceed to tell me that my t-case had been modified with a slip yoke eliminator kit and because of the modification that it was not covered under warranty. At this point I'm trying not to laugh my ass off. The service manager joins us to confirm that he made this diagnosis. I politely asked him to put that in writing. While he was gone I looked at both the mechanic and service writer and asked if he was serious. They said that since he was the boss they had to go along with what he said.

The service manager returns with a letter on letterhead, signed and gives it to me. After it is in my hands I begin to explain that Jeep t-cases have not needed a SYE kit since the JK came out and that he should look at any of the new JK's on the lot and show me one that needs a SYE kit. With the deer in the headlight look he said "but you modified the t-case". My reply what show me where. He stares at it and points to the front pinion yoke, "see, there's the SYE kit". By this time a crowd had gathered around. I simply said, "do you really want me to take a picture of this and send it to Chrysler with a complaint?" It's a stock t-case. Your service dept has been the only people that have ever removed it. He excused himself and said he would be right back.

15 minutes later he came back, pulled me to the side and said that he would order the parts and replace it under warranty. I thanked him. So I now have a t-case, transmission and engine on order to be replaced under warranty.

What really happened that caused the stress cracks. When the dealership took out the t-case to reseal it 4 months ago they did not torque the t-case back in and the transmission. That is my opinion. So with 28,983 miles on the Jeep I am getting a new drivetrain. The funny part, as soon as they replace it I am taking it all out and putting in the Hemi and Atlas. I'll have brand new parts to sell.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Haha that's great!!! That's why it is so important to know your jeep! Way to show them up

Sent from my iPhone

JKFlyer

That's great! Good job and thx for sharing

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Wow... glad to see you know their product much better than they do...

That is just amazing.

StrizzyChris

Wow... glad to see you know their product much better than they do...

That is just amazing.

It is astonishing! When I was in Hawaii, and looking at Jeeps at the dealership, I was educating them on the differences between 11, 12 and 13 model years. :doh: It truly goes to show that dealership employees are usually not enthusiasts, and those are mostly independent businesses and their employees.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Good show Brian! Now you'll have some new parts to sell to offset the cost of the conversion! :rock:

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

bl17z90

Glad you got that straightened out. I was at a dealer once and the sales rep didn't know what the JK was. :doh:

Top Bottom