Money well spent? Re-gear or protection?

Lil Nasty

I'm hoping to use some extra money for Jeep mods. I was planning on getting a 3" Enforcer, but after the leveling kit install I'm comfortable for another year or so (yeah right). Instead I'm debating the EVO sliders and PS rear quarter panels or re-gearing from 3.73's to 4.88's with an eaton truetrac in the rear. It's mostly a daily driver so I feel the gears would benefit me more. I know I could muster some change here and there to eventually get the other items in a timely manor. The gears would be too substantial to do slowly. Is my thinking in line with good sense? I'm currently running federal mt's in 35" and pull a utility trailer several times a week.

Speeddmn

My vote is for gears, I'm on my phone so cant see if you have a manual/auto, 2/4 door, year, etc. The gears will help greatly!

K.D.C.H

For the daily driver I would say hands down gears. Don't worry about the protection until your really heading off road

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Gears would probably be the best but depending on what your using the jeep for I would say gears and lockers. So if you couldn't do that I would say skid plates and other armor and a winch. Then save your money until you could do gears and lockers since to add the lockers separate of the gears would cost the same as doing gears.

Lil Nasty

Thanks guys. I was thinking gears first also. My reasoning for the truetrac and not an actual locker is because I have a sahara. After I up grade my front axle down the road I may do the same to the rear. I'm just trying not to sink too much money into something I have plans to replace 2-3 years down the road. I think this is the best/cost effective route for the time being.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I was thinking gears first also. My reasoning for the truetrac and not an actual locker is because I have a sahara. After I up grade my front axle down the road I may do the same to the rear. I'm just trying not to sink too much money into something I have plans to replace 2-3 years down the road. I think this is the best/cost effective route for the time being.

I meant to put locker/other traction device. I have no experience with the truetrac but have heard good things. A selectable locker like an ARB would be the best for all around. The Dana 44 in the rear of non rubicons is still a good axle. Both axle shafts are the same length so that's a plus for only carrying one spare on the trails. They are lesser spline count than the rubicon 44s and obviously don't come with factory lockers but they can be upgraded with stronger than factory lockers and you can get a select few lockers and axle shafts with a higher spline count than the rubicons. So they should be stronger in that sense. I don't remember who makes it but it seemed like it was a 35 spline upgrade compared to the 32 spline in the rubicons. If I remember right you can only get 32 spline axle shafts and lockers to fit the factory Dana 44 in the rear of the rubicons.

Of course an axle like the trail 60 or the pro rock 60 or 80 would be better though. Lol.

HIlife

I feel like it depends on what you are using your jeep for. I started buying armor first, just because I am OK with how my 3.73 are holding up so far. But after I get my rocker guards and rear bumper here soon, I will be saving up to drop the money on rehearing to 4.88 and locking the rear. But since I have a D30 upfront I will not be putting a locker in until down the road when I upgrade. Not I am also in Hawaii and regearing is very pricey.

Lil Nasty

Ok well after research, I'm going to forgo the truetrac. I'm not comfortable running it with 35's. I'd like to get the ARB but the funds just are not there yet. Any other traction aids to consider that won't cost too much or negatively affect road manners?

Top Bottom