Mods required to run 37" tires on 2dr Rubicon 3.6

Can you define properly dressed? C gussets, what else?
I'm just running c gussets and chromoly axle shafts front and rear. Ball joints will be replaced when needed. If and when the stock Dana 44 goes I'll just upgrade it with a dynatrac axle. I know my limits and I'm not an extremist on the trail.

Can you define properly dressed? C gussets, what else?

Well, everyone has their opinions but we would always sleeve for a JK with 37s that'll see dirt time. Yup, if you trophy truck it it'll bend at the pumpkin, but if you don't go full retard on the fast stuff, c gussets and sleeves will keep your axle straight. A truss will take you a little further, but it becomes a diminishing return for the money. We also like the JKS front rack bar brace on top of a sleeve kit for the housing.

Another must for 37s is axle shafts. Sure, a lot of guys wheel without them and with feather light throttle application they'll hold together, but sometimes you have to nail it to get somewhere and some upgraded axles will allow you to mash on it here and there without worrying about it. Same goes for the rear. Eventually it'll go.

The last thing to think about is your choice in gears for a 37. As far as performance a 5.13 is the best choice, but a 4.88 is stronger. The pinion on 5.13 and lower gears gets pretty small.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Well, everyone has their opinions but we would always sleeve for a JK with 37s that'll see dirt time. Yup, if you trophy truck it it'll bend at the pumpkin, but if you don't go full retard on the fast stuff, c gussets and sleeves will keep your axle straight. A truss will take you a little further, but it becomes a diminishing return for the money. We also like the JKS front rack bar brace on top of a sleeve kit for the housing.

Another must for 37s is axle shafts. Sure, a lot of guys wheel without them and with feather light throttle application they'll hold together, but sometimes you have to nail it to get somewhere and some upgraded axles will allow you to mash on it here and there without worrying about it. Same goes for the rear. Eventually it'll go.

The last thing to think about is your choice in gears for a 37. As far as performance a 5.13 is the best choice, but a 4.88 is stronger. The pinion on 5.13 and lower gears gets pretty small.

Lol you really think sleeves do anything to keep the housing straight? I know you can't be serious with that. How many housing do you see bend in the middle of the tube? What do sleeves do to keep the housing from bending at the pumpkin where 99% of the bends happen? And what exactly does the track bar brace do to strengthen the axle? Why JKS and not something else?

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Sleeves are a complete waste of money and effort IMHO. Twisting tube breaks are very, very rare and sleeves do nada to prevent bending at the pumpkin (like Overlander said).

And trusses? Let's not even go there.

SPOOOBY

Sleeves are a complete waste of money and effort IMHO. Twisting tube breaks are very, very rare and sleeves do nada to prevent bending at the pumpkin (like Overlander said).

And trusses? Let's not even go there.

Sleeves go into the pumkin and do strengthen an axle as do a truss,thicker means stronger,may not be alot but some[emoji106]🏻

If you're not living your dead already!

WJCO

Meme King
Sleeves go into the pumkin and do strengthen an axle as do a truss,thicker means stronger,may not be alot but some[emoji106]🏻

If you're not living your dead already!

Sleeves still do not prevent bends at the pumpkin. Regardless of the strength they provide or how thick they are.

Lol you really think sleeves do anything to keep the housing straight? I know you can't be serious with that. How many housing do you see bend in the middle of the tube? What do sleeves do to keep the housing from bending at the pumpkin where 99% of the bends happen? And what exactly does the track bar brace do to strengthen the axle? Why JKS and not something else?

Yup, I said it'll keep the axle straight. Did I say it's the second coming of the baby Jesus for the front end of your JK? No. Did I insinuate that it leaves you without a care in the world? Nope. Our experience leads us to say that it's a worthwhile thing to do. If your experience tells you other wise then [emoji106]. I've seen them bend in all sorts of spots, sure. But for most people that's all you'll need. Don't pretend it's a rock bouncer and you'll likely get years of enjoyment out of it.

The JKS trackbar brace does a nice job of tying everything together and gives you a bombproof mount for a either a standard or a drag link flip track bar configuration, and if you have everything apart then it's a good time to do it, trackbar failure is a common occurrence off road and can be a serious bummer.

I've seen sleeved Rubicon housings take A TON of abuse, I've also seen some failures that leave you scratching your head. In the end it's still an itty bitty axle, we ask a lot of it under a 5-6k lb vehicle with huge tires, low gears and big horsepower, let's keep that in perspective here.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So what I've gathered here is that if you have the ability, save up for a stronger axle to begin with and there's less risk taken. You'll have some time and money saved, instead of spending it with more risk of spending it twice.

Just bought me 5-37" bfg km2's. Northridge had a deal on them. Looking forward to them on my jeep. Now I'm just deciding if want the white letters showing or not. I am almost 50 and have been a fan of showing my whiteness. Haha no pun intended

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That'll work with a 37x12.50 but it's a tight fit with a 13.50 wide tire and you will see rubbing at a full turn and/or flex.

SergJKURhino

1.5 wheel spacers and trim the rear pinch seams

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for that tidbit!!

That'll work with a 37x12.50 but it's a tight fit with a 13.50 wide tire and you will see rubbing at a full turn and/or flex.

Perfect...I want to go to 37x12.5, & I ❤️ the look/cost of the stock wheels!!

Top Bottom