Mesh shades

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
If you look at the install process for many of the JL or JT mesh shades most of them are much more involved than the few bungee straps the JKs required. The designs seem to be more intricate driving up the costs I’m sure....I’ve yet to pull the trigger on any of them also. It’s not so much the cost, but if I’m gonna pay that much more I want to happy w it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I wonder if the JK shades will fit “good enough” on the JL? Do you really need more than the shade itself and some bungee balls?

Ddays

Hooked
I wonder if the JK shades will fit “good enough” on the JL? Do you really need more than the shade itself and some bungee balls?

I would say no. The roll cage is completely different and the size is off too. It'd probably fit like shit.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well after reading tons of reviews online on Quadratec and other sites I narrowed it down to two shades. Alien shade and spiderweb. The alien shade was $145 on amazon but after amazons sales taxes it went up to almost $160. So I checked out the spiderweb shade and with the CORONAFREE discount code it came down to $169. Free shipping and no tax. At that cost I decided to go with the spiderweb shade. I know it’s good quality and I trust the product. Thank you all for your suggestions! Will post pics when I get it installed

mijku

You will be happy with it. If their materials and quality haven't changed it will last a long time. I have had mine on two jks in the last 8yrs. I have gone through a couple sets of bungie balls but the top is still in great shape.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
IMG_0545.jpg

Ok so first impressions.

The front section was easy even with folding the windshield forward. The rear section on the other hand was super frustrating. Spiderwebs instructions were good but the spider ball the wrap around the soft top header by the speakers are a nightmare to install. Once installed the cord for the balls look and feel like they are about to snap. I’m gonna call spiderweb and see if I got balls to short.

Outside of that the shade works awesome as you would expect, I just recommend getting the one piece or maybe longer spider balls for the rear if spiderweb says they sent the right ones which I hope is the case

duktrx

View attachment 349786

Ok so first impressions.

The front section was easy even with folding the windshield forward. The rear section on the other hand was super frustrating. Spiderwebs instructions were good but the spider ball the wrap around the soft top header by the speakers are a nightmare to install. Once installed the cord for the balls look and feel like they are about to snap. I’m gonna call spiderweb and see if I got balls to short.

Outside of that the shade works awesome as you would expect, I just recommend getting the one piece or maybe longer spider balls for the rear if spiderweb says they sent the right ones which I hope is the case

View attachment 349786

Ok so first impressions...

...I got balls to short.

With time and hard work they will grow and harden developing a luster to be admired.
2020-07-04%2010.29.23.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Bumping this thread since it's almost a year old now. Any other options out there now? We're still undecided. One thing we want is is a 2 piece style. One for the rear will stay on all the time for the kids to have shade. As far as the front, we may want to remove it from time to time so something that removes quickly and easily is what we're looking for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this thread since it's almost a year old now. Any other options out there now? We're still undecided. One thing we want is is a 2 piece style. One for the rear will stay on all the time for the kids to have shade. As far as the front, we may want to remove it from time to time so something that removes quickly and easily is what we're looking for.
They're all pretty much the same these days. I still have a Spiderwebshade that I use on our JL and I'm pretty sure you can get it in two pieces now.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the two piece spider web shade as I pictured above. It wouldn’t be quick to remove if you wanted to with how it is designed to latch under the windshield.

CalSgt

Hooked
I saw a smittybilt one that sounds like it will do what you want... I was considering it because it is a combo mesh and waterproof cover

https://www.smittybilt.com/JL_ExtendedShadeTop#prettyPhoto

ETA: I found them on Amazon for $84 & free shipping

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so first impressions.

I think we're going with this one (2 piece spiderwebshade). Did you ever find out if they sent you the wrong spiderballs? I looked on the instructions on their website and can see where that step could be complicated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom