Me again - UD60s

astros3111

I am getting mixed answers and figured I need to come here for the right answers! Do you need to break in new axles IF the gears we're already built with the axle? I ordered UD60s with the 4.88 years so it's not like I had gears already in them and are needing to swap.

OR do I need to take it easy for the first 500 miles and swap fluid? Thanks again

JimLee

Hooked
I am getting mixed answers and figured I need to come here for the right answers! Do you need to break in new axles IF the gears we're already built with the axle? I ordered UD60s with the 4.88 years so it's not like I had gears already in them and are needing to swap.

OR do I need to take it easy for the first 500 miles and swap fluid? Thanks again
I'm not sure about the Danas but I was told to follow the usual gear break in process when I picked up my Dynatracs. Supposedly Dana chemically breaks in the gears on new production vehicle axles (supposedly), not sure about their aftermarket offerings though.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I did the normal break in with mine as if they were new gears. I had heard both sides of it, but figure it was better to be safe than sorry. There's nothing on the sheet that came with the axles about a break in though.

I should also note that the gear set is likely coated and or painted to prevent rust. It’s likely that wasn’t removed when they built the axle so if your gear oil is black or dark after break in don’t panic. That’s to be expected.

astros3111

I should also note that the gear set is likely coated and or painted to prevent rust. It’s likely that wasn’t removed when they built the axle so if your gear oil is black or dark after break in don’t panic. That’s to be expected.
ok cool. thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom