Max weight for OEM spare tire carrier

TXBTK

Hi everyone. What is the maximum weight the OEM spare tire carrier can hold for a 2016 JKU? I have upgraded my tires and wheels (305x70xR17) but don't plan to upgrade front and rear bumpers until next Spring.

Should I be concerned about the extra stress added to the spare tire carrier and gate hinges? The spare feels very secure without a gap or wobble.

Your expert insight is appreciated.

Thank you...Terry

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

The manual says 50 pounds. My wheel & tire have been way over that for years now.

Edit: Oh, it looks like they've been getting better. the '15 and '16s are up to 85 pounds now.

Last edited:
It's very important that your new tire/wheel combination is firm against the rubber isolators on the tailgate. Without this, the tire will have a lot more freedom to move/vibrate and may lead to problems with the tailgate.

It's very important that your new tire/wheel combination is firm against the rubber isolators on the tailgate. Without this, the tire will have a lot more freedom to move/vibrate and may lead to problems with the tailgate.

This^^^ it is extremely important to isolate the tire against the factory rubber stops. If your tire sits off of them then make some extensions so that it sits firm against it.

i have e rated 33's amd pulled the spare because the tailgate was making some crazy noises. I extended the spacers on either side and the tire felt like it didn't move. I don't trust the 85lb limit the manual states. also I see a lot of dealers that sell jeeps with 35's and the spacers on the tailgate don't touch the tire at all. that's a recipe for disaster. im eventually going to pick up a tire carrier either bumper mounted or something like the new evo hinge/tirecarrier

The manual says 50 pounds. My wheel & tire have been way over that for years now.

Edit: Oh, it looks like they've been getting better. the '15 and '16s are up to 85 pounds now.

Thats perfect. I think the weight of each tire is 80lbs. Thank you!

i have e rated 33's amd pulled the spare because the tailgate was making some crazy noises. I extended the spacers on either side and the tire felt like it didn't move. I don't trust the 85lb limit the manual states. also I see a lot of dealers that sell jeeps with 35's and the spacers on the tailgate don't touch the tire at all. that's a recipe for disaster. im eventually going to pick up a tire carrier either bumper mounted or something like the new evo hinge/tirecarrier

Cool...thank you for the reply.

Top Bottom