LS, Hemi swap issues vs supercharger vs stock

safecracker909

My Hemi likes to get hot. It gets over the 3/4 mark on step grades and a warm day. I need to use the heater to cool it down. I am waiting for AEV to finish the wiring harness for the 2013 fan upgrade. This should pull more air to cool it properly.

Jeep - Just Expect Every Problem

Would I do it again? I don't know. A friend put a turbo on his for a fraction of the cost, and he says it was the best thing he has done to his rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just worried that it's going to be an utter "turd" on 40" tires even with 5:38 gears. Don't really want to do a blower, but was worried about the reliability of an LS swap based on what I read/heard. Looks like I'll either stay stock or go to a built LS3 installed by Motech

Dave, the guy with the green Jeep in our last 2 JKX videos is running 40's, ProRocks and on his 3.6L and he seems to rock everything in his way. Had the JK's come with a 3.6L motor back in 2007, I wouldn't have even considered doing an LS swap. But, I am happy with the power that I have and if I had to do it over again, I would.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Pulled up this thread on a search.

Does anyone know how the LS motors do when towing?

My 5.7 HEMI gets hot on long climbs when towing a trailer. Is fine on the same climbs without a trailer.

jedg

Pulled up this thread on a search.

Does anyone know how the LS motors do when towing?

My 5.7 HEMI gets hot on long climbs when towing a trailer. Is fine on the same climbs without a trailer.

I have an L96 6.0 and pull a trailer with 2 motorcycles and equipment. No overheating. Even pulled it through the Rockies ( Monarch Pass) without issues.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I have an L96 6.0 and pull a trailer with 2 motorcycles and equipment. No overheating. Even pulled it through the Rockies ( Monarch Pass) without issues.

That's what I thought.
Thanks for the response.

jedg

That's what I thought.
Thanks for the response.

No worries. The hottest I've seen on my engine was 224 degF and that was in 4LO for several hours at walking speeds or idling waiting to get through an obstacle. Interstate driving I run in the 195 degF area. Even towing. Transmission runs in the low 160 degF range and in the 170 degF range when towing.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
No worries. The hottest I've seen on my engine was 224 degF and that was in 4LO for several hours at walking speeds or idling waiting to get through an obstacle. Interstate driving I run in the 195 degF area. Even towing. Transmission runs in the low 160 degF range and in the 170 degF range when towing.

Do you have 35" tires still?
I never got hot until I started running 37s. Same hill, same trailer and load.
No overheating when running 35s.

I may be wrong in what I'm remembering so correct me if I am.
Doesn't Eddie have to turn his heater on and roll his windows down when going up the passes??
I had no problems going east on I-80 by Donner pass last year in 90 degree weather. I just have a problem when towing.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I've had a Cummins 4bt swap in my old power wagon. I would NEVER do one again. Was reliable, but very loud. Couldn't even have a conversation with another person in the cab. There is a reason they are called "paint shakers".

It overheated on long climbs without a trailer

MonkeyLeo13

:cheesy: Where'd you hear that BS from?

I think 2Cross got confused you for another guy from TV show, "One Car Too Far". That guy actually used heater to reduce engine temp at desert somewhere. Dunno if that works but I think it not really effective... LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think 2Cross got confused you for another guy from TV show, "One Car Too Far". That guy actually used heater to reduce engine temp at desert somewhere. Dunno if that works but I think it not really effective... LOL

:eek: :cheesy: Okay, now that's funny. Damn Asian people look all a like!! :D

That being said, running the heater DOES work if you're ever in a need to bring your temp down. :crazyeyes:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
:eek: :cheesy: Okay, now that's funny. Damn Asian people look all a like!! :D

That being said, running the heater DOES work if you're ever in a need to bring your temp down. :crazyeyes:

That is funny.
Thanks for straightening me out.
Was BS for sure

Top Bottom