Lotta Bang for less buck: Max tow package on a Sport

Out of boredom and curiosity, I built and priced a base model JT Sport on Jeep's website. I only added one option: the max tow package, which has the Dana 44s, anti spin rear diff, and 4.10 gear ratio! It's a $1500 option if I'm not mistaken, and that puts it considerably less than a Rubicon still - albeit without disconnects and lockers - but manual disconnects can be had for $100 and lockers can still be added later. The jeep was still under 40 grand MSRP after, and it got me excited as I plan to eventually get my hands on a JT after my JK's built up.

What I want to know is if any of you have this package, how it's performing, what your initial and thoughts afterward are, is it a good investment over a Rubicon, and can I also add the 3.0 diesel and retain the 4.10 ratio? I'd go 37s right out of the gate if that's so. It's gonna be a wheeler and overlander, while also allowing me to carry my dirt bike and mountain bike while also pulling my jet skis lol

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Out of boredom and curiosity, I built and priced a base model JT Sport on Jeep's website. I only added one option: the max tow package, which has the Dana 44s, anti spin rear diff, and 4.10 gear ratio! It's a $1500 option if I'm not mistaken, and that puts it considerably less than a Rubicon still - albeit without disconnects and lockers - but manual disconnects can be had for $100 and lockers can still be added later. The jeep was still under 40 grand MSRP after, and it got me excited as I plan to eventually get my hands on a JT after my JK's built up.

What I want to know is if any of you have this package, how it's performing, what your initial and thoughts afterward are, is it a good investment over a Rubicon, and can I also add the 3.0 diesel and retain the 4.10 ratio? I'd go 37s right out of the gate if that's so. It's gonna be a wheeler and overlander, while also allowing me to carry my dirt bike and mountain bike while also pulling my jet skis lol
I have this same package. 3.6 / Auto / Max Tow. 22k on it with no issues so far. I've run 35s almost the entire time I've owned it (almost 2 years) and it still has plenty of power. No regrets.

As far as the diesel, I tried just now building one and as soon as you click on the diesel engine option, the max tow goes away. So I assume the deisel option and max tow aren't allowed together.

I have this same package. 3.6 / Auto / Max Tow. 22k on it with no issues so far. I've run 35s almost the entire time I've owned it (almost 2 years) and it still has plenty of power. No regrets.

As far as the diesel, I tried just now building one and as soon as you click on the diesel engine option, the max tow goes away. So I assume the deisel option and max tow aren't allowed together.
Ah I see, you want a Diesel with 44s you gotta get a Rubi. Good to hear though thanks! 👍

jesse3638

Hooked
Out of boredom and curiosity I went to my local dealership to see what they could get me a JLUR for. They had a $5500 mark up and not offering affiliate pricing. $64k before tax, title and license. Stupid crazy. Then they tried to sell me on a used lifted sport only $49k. The owner asked me for my honest opinion. I said you'll get your asking price for if but not from me..haha.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I have the Towmax on my sport. Still on factory tires but I think it’s going to be sweet once I go bigger.

With the diesel engine you will get the 3.73s. I just built a couple of them and when I clicked on the diesel engine they changed it from 4.10 to 3.73
Yeah I know the diesel also applies the 3.73 gear ratio, I was wondering if you can pair it with the max tow as well - maybe switching the gear ratios but keeping the 44s. Appears you cannot.

Dale72

Hooked
Yeah I know the diesel also applies the 3.73 gear ratio, I was wondering if you can pair it with the max tow as well - maybe switching the gear ratios but keeping the 44s. Appears you cannot.
But I don't want a diesel engine anyway. I have been dealing with all the emissions bs since 2005. That was the first time I had a truck with the EGR cooler on it. The DPF was put on trucks in 07 and the DEF was put on them in 09. And about 85% of the time I have to put the truck in the shop it's because of one of them

sunnysideup

I went with the max tow package when I ordered mine 2 years ago. Fast forward to this past month... I added ARB air lockers front and rear, 4:88 gearing, 35 spline rear axle shafts-made just for Max tow rear axles with ARB. I also put RCV front Axle kit in (32 spline) and I'm waiting for a part to finish that conversion to RCV... right now only Drivers side is done. RCV makes a Max Tow front axle kit...but it does not fit all max Tow JT's. Its a 6700-7500 dollar add on (with labor prices) to add lockers, axles, gears. IF you keep stock axles it lowers that by 2000 dollars. It's been great, I ordered it the way we wanted it. I do most of the work on my Jeep myself... and that makes it cheaper. Rubicon is the way to go if you can't do more than half the work yourself.

Top Bottom