Looking for suggestions on CB's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just bought and about to install a Cobra 75wxst. I plan to run and external speaker in the sound bar padding above my head. I picked it as my jeep is my DD and I liked the fact it was totally out of the way unless I needed it.

As Eddie said I read a lot on issues with volume. Most reviews said it was marginal for the hand set and ok with external speaker. Only time will tell once I have it hooked up.

Regarding volume, I should clarify that most of my grievance about the 75 was at high speed running a soft top or in general while running topless and doorless. Under those conditions, I could barely make out what was being said.

Sahara_Maverick

Check the Midland. I have it and a great advantage is that you can take it with you by simply connecting a battery pack (works with AAs) and a stubby antenna. While in my Jeep it runs on the 12VDC and the external 4ft Firestick. Works great.
20170802_122623.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TC1201JK

I've been looking at this in the past but was wondering how does it sound. I've tested a bunch of CB's over the years and the one thing I hated most about compact units is that their speakers are just too small and sounded like shit. Cobra 75 is probably the worst even with an external speaker.

Fantastic. My cobra 75 just got here today. I'll try it and if it's that bad I'll swap it out for another radio. Hopefully for my sake they've made some improvements to it since you tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Among the many CB's I've owned, I still have that Midland and carry it as a spare. It works well but is still tough for me to hear at highway speeds while running a soft top or when running doorless/topless. Granted, my hearing kind of sucks.

TC1201JK

Regarding volume, I should clarify that most of my grievance about the 75 was at high speed running a soft top or in general while running topless and doorless. Under those conditions, I could barely make out what was being said.

Thanks for clarifying Eddie. I almost considered not putting the 75 in this weekend. I mainly just need it for trail use. I run with no top/doors as often as I can (which can be challenging with the hour to hour weather here in Chicago) but for highway use if they pull off I'll follow and if I need to pull off hopefully that can hear me [emoji106]

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can get auxiliary speakers for your CB. I have one from Uniden that was maybe 20-30 bucks as I recall. Of course, you need to check whether your CB has an output. My CB (Uniden 520xl) is mounted inside my lockable center console and so its own speaker is pretty useless. But the auxiliary speaker comes out on trail runs and works well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can get auxiliary speakers for your CB. I have one from Uniden that was maybe 20-30 bucks as I recall. Of course, you need to check whether your CB has an output. My CB (Uniden 520xl) is mounted inside my lockable center console and so its own speaker is pretty useless. But the auxiliary speaker comes out on trail runs and works well.

Oh yeah, I run one with my Cobra 29 just so that I can get the speaker closer to my ears. Sounds great with a good CB that has an RF gain but some of these smaller units just sound harsh. Sure, they're loud but not very clear and sometimes piercing. At least, that's been my experience.

longarmwj

I've had great experience with Uniden and Cobra. I have a Uniden in the WJ and it has worked flawlessly for me for over 6 years. I just placed an order for a Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel for the JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had great experience with Uniden and Cobra. I have a Uniden in the WJ and it has worked flawlessly for me for over 6 years. I just placed an order for a Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel for the JK.

So far, I've been the happiest with my old Cobra 29 I have in Moby. I'm currently running the newer LX in Rubicat and love the way it looks so much more modern but for some reason, I've found that if I leave it plugged in, it'll drain my battery if I leave it sitting for a week or so, this even if it's off. Also, I've seen where the plastic knobs can break easily, especially the big center one.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Oh yeah, I run one with my Cobra 29 just so that I can get the speaker closer to my ears. Sounds great with a good CB that has an RF gain but some of these smaller units just sound harsh. Sure, they're loud but not very clear and sometimes piercing. At least, that's been my experience.

I agree with that. My hearing is not great, due to gunfire & loud music, and the 75 wxt sucks even with a speaker at speed with a soft top. It is a convenient little set up, though.

enfielded0405

Thanks for all the first hand reports on the cobra 75. I think I will put in a splitter and run the aux speaker by my head for trail use. And plug it into my radio aux on the highway if I need it. And see how that goes.

cczee

I know it was touched on in this thread, when I was out with a group this weekend there was a discussion on the handheld ham radios. Biggest pro for them was the range compared to a traditional CB. Has anyone tried them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it was touched on in this thread, when I was out with a group this weekend there was a discussion on the handheld ham radios. Biggest pro for them was the range compared to a traditional CB. Has anyone tried them?

"ham" radios or "race" radios? The latter is becoming quite popular but it is not the same thing.

FallonJeeper

I have both in my J10. But I'm an Ultra4 support volunteer and do race support for a couple teams.

I see discussions that indicate talking on a "race radio" requires an amateur license.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

sjd78

Ham radios and Race radios are the same thing. They both operate on the same VHF, UHF or dual band VHF/UHF frequencies as one another. What makes radios such as Rugged Radios "Race" radios is the pre programmed race channels. Basically companies in the off-road racing world whom have deep pockets license specific HAM frequencies with the FCC. For what I imagine is a hefty price they are allowed to use those frequencies without individuals needing a HAM license. What companies like Rugged Radios does is just pre program the most popular "Race" frequencies into their radios and market them that way. Many people fly under the radar using those frequencies to communicate even though they are not affiliated with anything racing related. Another option is using MURS,GMRS and FRS frequencies however they all have power restrictions etc.

To be quite honest I'm surprised more people aren't switching to VHF/UHF over CB. It's such a better form of communication with more range and acces to emergency services. I guess the only downside is the cost as they are typically double or more the price of a decent CB.

sjd78

DWiggles to answer your question I would skip getting another CB and upgrade to a VHF, UHF or dual band. Especially if people in your group already have them. They are superior to CB.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I'm pretty sure it does, but a lot of people are flying under the radar.

Absolutely.

I've considered getting my license....
Just in case.
As was also stated the people who sell these radios to racers/team members, not naming names, have a license, nobody I know, seems to know what that license covers and if individual radio owners/operators are under an umbrella.

Personally outside the legality issues, I prefer my race radio.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
DWiggles,

No links to products buddy it's against forum rules.

:cheesy: Good one. :crazyeyes: False, but I got a kick out of it none the less

perhaps you should reread what you preach? :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom