Looking for a wench... I mean winch

robx251

Caught the Bug
Alright, I have caviar taste but have canned sardines budget. Id love you get a Warn but just don't have the coin... going on my JLUR so really would prefer a 12k winch instead of a 10k. Obviously I prefer to get a synthetic line but steel will do. I did find a Shittybuilt 9.5K for around 280 with steel line. Found an X-Bull 12k with synthetic line for 325, and the tractor supply or harbor freight options. I really cant spend anymore than 500 on the winch but I did stumble across a Warn VR Evo10 at Morris 4x4 for 570 but just too much.

Thoughts? suggestions? helpful links?

I'm trying to make the most of this "stimulus" check we will be getting and trying to do the most I can before the baby arrive in June. Both the wife and I are essential Govt workers and are very fortunate to both still be employed and doing our part to keep the economy moving.

Last edited:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Alright, I have caviar taste but have canned sardines budget. Id love you get a Warn but just don't have the coin... going on my JLUR so really would prefer a 12k winch instead of a 10k. Obviously I prefer to get a synthetic line but steel will do. I did find a Shittybuilt 9.5K for around 280 with steel line. Found an X-Bull 12k with synthetic line for 325, and the tractor supply or harbor freight options. I really cant spend anymore than 500 on the winch but I did stumble across a Warn VR Evo10 at Morris 4x4 for 570 but just too much.

I'm trying to make the most of this "stimulus" check we will be getting and trying to do the most I can before the baby arrive in June. Both the wife and I are essential Govt workers and are very fortunate to both still be employed and doing our part to keep the economy moving.

Shoot Bubba from Exodus Jeeps a pm or give him a call. He should be able to help you out. His prices are great and he can get just about anything out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, there is ZERO need for a 12k for a JL. 9.5 or 10 would be more than enough. Hell, for the kind of trails you have in your neck of the woods, you could even get by with an 8k and a snatch block being that you have so much to work with in terms of winch points. If it were me, I would save up a bit more and get an M8000 or if you have to go china winch, I still would prefer a WARN VR over Shittybilt.

https://amzn.to/2WXXC1R

Napalm

I am gonna second what Eddie said and say to hold out/save up for a Warn. I have a Warn VR10s and I love it.
Adjustments.jpg

I know that’s probably not want you wanted to hear, but a couple hundred dollars more gets you Warn’s limited lifetime warranty and a wireless remote, to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 123

Exodus 4x4

Save your money and buy at minimum a Warn VR EVO 10-S part #103253. Yes it costs more than what you want to spend but I can make a decent deal for you on it when you’re ready. I can promise you that when the time comes for you to actually use your winch and it fails you, the money you saved won’t matter. Save your money and do it right, I just can’t stress this enough. I’ve seen the other winches fail too often.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

☝️This is true☝️

One more thing, no matter what you get, use it once in a while. Sitting causes problems.

Before you leave home to go wheeling, plug it in and run a few feet of cable out and back in. Better to find out at home you have a bad connection or something corroded than to find out when you are stick and NEED it to work

Primo82

Caught the Bug

I have a shittybilt winch. Does it do the job? Yes. Should I have saved for a Warn? Also yes...

I've had to RMA my winch twice due to wiring issues. First time a lead came loose in the controller. When I opened the controller up NONE of the heatshrink fittings had actually been heat shrinked. Soldered leads looked like my 5 yo did it. Second time I couldn't find the fault. Replaced controller and it worked fine again. Had it a year or so now.

EDIT: The RMA process was ok, they didn't give me any flack. It took about 3 weeks in each instance to get the replacement unit back.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Thank you all for your responses, honestly not much different that I expected with the "Just wait and save more" Only one that threw me was Eddies no need for one that large... I was thinking where I have the Unlimited the extra would be necessary due to added weight and trail gear.

J&k_Overland

To add to what Eddie said I have a 8k lb Warn on the front of WJ and have used it to pull my Semi truck (37k lbs) out of slick spots in my driveway. Using a snatch block and my super duty as anchor of course. I’ve always run Warn and they have never let me down.

PokerStogey

Thank you all for your responses, honestly not much different that I expected with the "Just wait and save more" Only one that threw me was Eddies no need for one that large... I was thinking where I have the Unlimited the extra would be necessary due to added weight and trail gear.

Warn M8000 w/steel cable on mine since 2016... needed to use it a few times and worked just fine 0501AC50-3BA9-431A-96C1-3697E883361B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom