Looking at UD44 axle

black pearl

Hooked
So after my build plan got put to the side for life stuff. I’m finally getting back to hopefully continue the build. I’ve been seeing people happy with the UD axels. I’m looking at the UD44 , as I’m not really planning on going bigger then 37s. Also looking at them because the lead time is much shorter then other axels. I’d like to hear from some members that are running these axels and real life experience.

rubiDave

The UD44 is attractive from a price & availability standpoint. However, it is the same 2.5 inch tube diameter as stock and only 1/16 thicker. From a strength standpoint it is weaker than a 3 inch diameter tube like a PR44 or Currie. I don't see the UD44 as a big advantage over the stock rubi axle.

MericaMade

Curries is much better with build time over DT. Like Dave said above Currie and DT on paper looks to be a stronger axle.

black pearl

Hooked
The UD44 is attractive from a price & availability standpoint. However, it is the same 2.5 inch tube diameter as stock and only 1/16 thicker. From a strength standpoint it is weaker than a 3 inch diameter tube like a PR44 or Currie. I don't see the UD44 as a big advantage over the stock rubi axle.
Curries is much better with build time over DT. Like Dave said above Currie and DT on paper looks to be a stronger axle.
I’ll have to take another look at currie. It was one of my first choices.
I was just going off the axel rating for the UD44 being worthy of 37s. I totally agree though the others are stronger.

JKbrick

I believe the UD has bigger than stock knuckles too

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While all this is true, the main problem with the factory 44's is that the end forgings bent. 3" diameter is stronger for sure but I wouldn't hesitate to run an UD44 if only because you can run a 5.13 gear and run bigger shafts. But, if one can wait and money is no object, there are better options available for sure.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
Take a look at Carbon Off Road. They use Currie housings, with their own internals. They have an incredible warranty. I broke a shaft and they overnighted a replacement, no questions asked.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I am currently running a UD44 with 37's. I ended up finding the UD44 for an unbelievabe price of $2899 and shipped for free. I went with the Eaton Locker and 4:88 gears. Been running for over a year now and no complaints. We drove from Illinois to Moab this past summer and wheeled and drove home, no issues. I know the Dynatrac and Currie and stronger but for the money I could not beat it.

Top Bottom