Longtime Jeeper with a Newbie Question

mphilleo

Here we go, folks, be gentle. This is regarding my 2012 JKU Sport.

Despite my question, I have a pretty good understanding how "all that stuff down there" works. But sometimes, we make mistakes and mess up. Long story short, here in the great state of North Dakota, we just had another blizzard roll through. The wind and sun have opened spots in the ice and snow pack on the roads, but when you need 4WD, you need it. I was headed along an eastbound road in town in 4WD because there was a hill with a fair incline, covered with snow. Past the top, the road straightens and levels out, taking you to a stop sign at a two way street north and southbound. Seeing that this street was pretty clear, I put it back into 2HI while I was stopped. When I took off, I got some wheel hop I could feel in the steering wheel, about a couple "hops" on that right turn. After I straightened out into the lane, it was fine. Although the 4WD light was off, it was obviously not disengaged fully or at all. In retrospect, I probably needed to edge forward a little bit before taking off.

My wife calls me an "automotive hypochondriac." I have an excessively high level of mechanical sympathy, baby my vehicles, over-maintain them and tend to get really worried about possible damage caused by events like this. I know that this can put strain on front end and driveline components. Recently, I had it re-geared and had new front U-joints installed along with some nice new control arms. I'd hate for a little lapse in judgment to mess all of that up. Part of this is to vent, but part is the hope that someone wiser and more experienced than I am will tell me to chill out. Like I said before, this is me opening up to a community I respect, so please take it easy on me. 😅

WJCO

Meme King

Despite my question, I have a pretty good understanding how "all that stuff down there" works. But sometimes, we make mistakes and mess up. Long story short, here in the great state of North Dakota, we just had another blizzard roll through. The wind and sun have opened spots in the ice and snow pack on the roads, but when you need 4WD, you need it. I was headed along an eastbound road in town in 4WD because there was a hill with a fair incline, covered with snow. Past the top, the road straightens and levels out, taking you to a stop sign at a two way street north and southbound. Seeing that this street was pretty clear, I put it back into 2HI while I was stopped. When I took off, I got some wheel hop I could feel in the steering wheel, about a couple "hops" on that right turn. After I straightened out into the lane, it was fine. Although the 4WD light was off, it was obviously not disengaged fully or at all. In retrospect, I probably needed to edge forward a little bit before taking off.

My wife calls me an "automotive hypochondriac." I have an excessively high level of mechanical sympathy, baby my vehicles, over-maintain them and tend to get really worried about possible damage caused by events like this. I know that this can put strain on front end and driveline components. Recently, I had it re-geared and had new front U-joints installed along with some nice new control arms. I'd hate for a little lapse in judgment to mess all of that up. Part of this is to vent, but part is the hope that someone wiser and more experienced than I am will tell me to chill out. Like I said before, this is me opening up to a community I respect, so please take it easy on me. 😅
So it's only done it that one time? I wouldn't worry about it. Just double check that your shift lever is fully in the 2WD position. Do some turns in a parking lot to make sure all is good.

jeeeep

Hooked

4HI or 4Lo? lockers?

4HI or 4Lo? lockers?
^^^

Seems like a one time event due to the road conditions but yeah make sure you've engaged nothing else before shifting back and especially if you were in low range, you've gotta put it in neutral to engage and disengage 4Lo for example.

mphilleo

So it's only done it that one time? I wouldn't worry about it. Just double check that your shift lever is fully in the 2WD position. Do some turns in a parking lot to make sure all is good.
Yeah, this is the only time it's happened while I've owned it the past 2+ years. If I get a chance to test it in a snowy parking lot, I'll do that.
I would agree with your wife.
Annoyingly, I've found out she's usually right. ;)
4HI or 4Lo? lockers?
It was just in 4HI, I've got no lockers or anything like that. Just a basic Command-Trac 4x4 system.
^^^

Seems like a one time event due to the road conditions but yeah make sure you've engaged nothing else before shifting back and especially if you were in low range, you've gotta put it in neutral to engage and disengage 4Lo for example.
Yep, it was and thanks for the advice!
Chill TF out
Always good life advice and particularly so in this case. 😂

GP NOIR

Hooked
I’ve run my Wrangler in 4hi on the pavement quite a bit this winter, when the roads are slippery. Except for some extra wear in the axle shaft u-joints, it hasn’t been a problem.

Top Bottom