Long Trip to Colorado

Why1504

Caught the Bug
In September my girlfriend and I will be departing for Colorado. The drive out is ~1200 miles. I expect we will log between 500 and 1000 miles while in Colorado and then 1200 miles back.currently my2023 392 has just under 2800 miles and will be due for an oil change soon.I expect I will log another 1500 miles before we go. I have done several off road trails including a couple of river crossings and several mud puddles.

My 392 has a winch and I have most of my recovery gear. I do need a snatch block (maybe 2) and a couple of soft shackles. I have a tow strap and a tree saver.
I also carry a good first aid kit and a good tool kit. I carry 2 handheld GMRS radios as well as my VHF/UHF handheld and my lightweight HF ham radio. I subscribe to On X trail software.

here are my questions:

Do I change oil again right before we depart, or, change the oil mid way thru the trip? We have several days in Colorado Springs, if I change it during the trip can you advise on a good place to have it changed in Colorado Springs?

Before we depart, should I check (or change) all the other fluids (or have this done by a competent shop)?

What other service should I perform?

Please suggest a good snatch block.

Currently we plan to make the run to the top of Mt Antero, a couple of the trails around Colorado Springs, and then head to Breckinridge. While in Breckinridge I hope to summit Peak 11 and I want to do Red Cone. What is my best way to find other off roaders to travel with?

Can anyone suggest other trails I should put on the list?

Thanks for the help!!

GP NOIR

Hooked
Definitely check all fluid levels before going.

Have what you need to keep the windscreen clean

Lube all grease points

Check suspension and steering bolt torques

Check ball joints etc for play

Check u-joints & RZeppa joints for damage and play

What snatch block should be used depends on if the winch line is steel or synthetic

Super glue & Zip Kicker can be used to plug holes in the tire long enough to finish a trail. I've used Super Glue to plug a one inch gash in a sidewall and it held for six months

You have onboard air?

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Definitely check all fluid levels before going.

Have what you need to keep the windscreen clean

Lube all grease points

Check suspension and steering bolt torques

Check ball joints etc for play

Check u-joints & RZeppa joints for damage and play

What snatch block should be used depends on if the winch line is steel or synthetic

Super glue & Zip Kicker can be used to plug holes in the tire long enough to finish a trail. I've used Super Glue to plug a one inch gash in a sidewall and it held for six months

You have onboard air?
the winch has a synthetic line and I do have on-board air.

jeeeep

Hooked
that's a lot of elevation, prep for it and don't ignore the signs for altitude sickness.

Red Cone will test you, it's steep, be sure to check snow conditions because there is no turning around.

have a flat tire repair kit,.

how much off-road experience do you have? personally, I wouldn't do those trails solo.

DaJudge

If you don't have them, get Charles Wells' books for Colorado. Also, make sure you and your girlfriend are OK with HIGH shelf roads. Red Cone can be very unnerving. It isn't a shelf road, it runs up a spine that is steep and loose. If you are both fearless then you will be fine.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
that's a lot of elevation, prep for it and don't ignore the signs for altitude sickness.

Red Cone will test you, it's steep, be sure to check snow conditions because there is no turning around.

have a flat tire repair kit,.

how much off-road experience do you have? personally, I wouldn't do those trails solo.
I understand Red Cone is steep. I have experience going up and down 25 degree trails ( but not nearly as long as Red Cone).
l have a flat tire repair kit.
This is my third Jeep. All of my experience is in the southeast running easy to moderate trails. Lots of mud, some off camber rides.

My 392 has instilled tons of confidence. The Jeep has handled trails where I thought it would struggle. Places where the TJ and JK Rubicon would have struggled and required me to backup, change lines, change strategy. The biggest issue I have had it that the 392 feels wider. This is why I installed the LOD sliders.

I would really like to hook up with some other Jeeps for these runs. Is there a local off road forum or FB group in Colorado Springs or Breckinridge where I could try to find other Jeeps to make these trails?

JimLee

Hooked
I couldn't agree more, I had to make an emergency descent from 12000 feet when my wife passed out from altitude sickness, down a very rough trail, shits more dangerous than people think. We now always carry canned oxygen in the Jeep and it works.
boostoxygen.jpg

Bierpower

Hooked
I understand Red Cone is steep. I have experience going up and down 25 degree trails ( but not nearly as long as Red Cone).
l have a flat tire repair kit.
This is my third Jeep. All of my experience is in the southeast running easy to moderate trails. Lots of mud, some off camber rides.

My 392 has instilled tons of confidence. The Jeep has handled trails where I thought it would struggle. Places where the TJ and JK Rubicon would have struggled and required me to backup, change lines, change strategy. The biggest issue I have had it that the 392 feels wider. This is why I installed the LOD sliders.

I would really like to hook up with some other Jeeps for these runs. Is there a local off road forum or FB group in Colorado Springs or Breckinridge where I could try to find other Jeeps to make these trails?

We have enough people between the springs and Denver you should be able to put a group together.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
What trails are you planning to run around Colorado Springs?
My long term girlfriend grew up in Colorado Springs. We are attending her nieces wedding at Menkhaven about 4 hours southwest of Colorado Springs. After the wedding the trip will be pretty low key and relaxing. She has driven to the summit of Antero and wants to return there while we visit the hot springs. After that we head to Colorado Springs. I think we are there for 3 or 4 days one of which will be heading up to Pikes Peak weather permitting. I know she has some plans while we are there but I am hoping to get in a few hours on the trails during those days (nothing is identified as of yet, one reason I was asking if there is a local forum or FB group I could join and to identify some trails and hopefully find some riding partners). We then head up to Breckinridge for a couple of days where she worked during the summer during high school. After that we plan to head home.

onlyone

Redcone and Antero are easy, just remember that 99% of the time it’s you that fucks up, not the Jeep. Go slow and be aware. It’s easy to die. Go with someone if you can. Our first time we didn’t in our WK grand Cherokee and wished we would have. Just having someone around who has been up there, or even see things you might not have.

WJCO

Meme King
Possibly some pinstripes before exiting tree line on some of those trails. I guess some don't care on a newer Jeep. As mentioned, altitude sickness is real, especially if you're coming from a very low elevation. I would highly recommend extra food, water, shelter/clothing at all times up there. Anyone in the group can have a breakdown and you're stuck there for hours. Red Cone isn't hard, but anytime you're hours away from civilization, you need to prepare for yourself. On top of that, storms come in at any time like crack heads in the inner cities. Just make sure you're prepared. My rule of thumb is to have 72 hours worth of supplies for anyone in my party.

Currently we plan to make the run to the top of Mt Antero

A few years back, we paid for access to a claim, and dug around for aquamarine at the top. Didn’t find much, but it was fun. Saw some people blowing up dynamite.

On the way back down, around tree line, there’s a little community of mining people. They’re friendly enough, but keep your distance or they may absorb you into their mining tribe.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

IMG_2180.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Possibly some pinstripes before exiting tree line on some of those trails. I guess some don't care on a newer Jeep. As mentioned, altitude sickness is real, especially if you're coming from a very low elevation. I would highly recommend extra food, water, shelter/clothing at all times up there. Anyone in the group can have a breakdown and you're stuck there for hours. Red Cone isn't hard, but anytime you're hours away from civilization, you need to prepare for yourself. On top of that, storms come in at any time like crack heads in the inner cities. Just make sure you're prepared. My rule of thumb is to have 72 hours worth of supplies for anyone in my party.
Thank you. I am planning supplies, but I had not planned 72 hours worth.

Top Bottom