Line locks for E-brake?

David1tontj

Ok- my parking brake is always giving me trouble, so I think I am ready to just scrap it and install some sort of line lock on the rear.

I also read about a guy using a small clutch master cylinder mounted to his stock e-brake lever. I think this is the route I am going to take.

Anyone dealt with them or have any opinions etc?

Feel free to comment, anything I don't like will just be ignored 😁

MarkW13

Explain trouble. When I put an 8.8 under my yj i had to do alot of work to adapt the p-brake to the jeep. Even the pre manufactured cables from MORE required me to make a few parts so everything worked perfect. I don't think the hydraulic option is that great. The idea behind this type of brake is that it is purely mechanical.

David1tontj

Explain trouble. When I put an 8.8 under my yj i had to do alot of work to adapt the p-brake to the jeep. Even the pre manufactured cables from MORE required me to make a few parts so everything worked perfect. I don't think the hydraulic option is that great. The idea behind this type of brake is that it is purely mechanical.

Well.. I have a 10.25 ford rear end, and despite having the cable hooked up, it never wants to hold well. I understand the reason that e-brakes are purely mechanical, but currently basically have no e-brake, so I was hoping for something that actually worked well... I E line locks... From what I've read, they are way stronger and can actually lock up huge tires while at speed.. Something my mechanical one could never do.

My jeep gets parks in my garage, so I'm not worried about needing it there, just would like a little extra holding power on the trail.

CRAZYCASEY

I have been running line locks for a couple years now. I picked up a couple from Jegs for like 35 bucks each. They are electric so I would never actually use them for long term parking as my understanding is they will drain your battery and can possibly over heat or bleed off over extended periods of time. I use them on the trail for front digs. They require you to press and hold the brake and then push a switch to activate them.

I ordered two because I wanted to be able to lock up each wheel individually thinking that it would allow the vehicle to turn easier while digging, that did not work. Locking up only one wheel does not hold the jeep as well and tends to drag forward more than using both. You can also engage the line lock with the brake off to block the pressure to the rear to do a rear dig while engaging just the front brakes as well.

A friend of mine with an LJ running a high9 rear recently added one to the rear of his and is very happy with the way it works on the trail.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

David1tontj

I have been running line locks for a couple years now. I picked up a couple from Jegs for like 35 bucks each. They are electric so I would never actually use them for long term parking as my understanding is they will drain your battery and can possibly over heat or bleed off over extended periods of time. I use them on the trail for front digs. They require you to press and hold the brake and then push a switch to activate them.

I ordered two because I wanted to be able to lock up each wheel individually thinking that it would allow the vehicle to turn easier while digging, that did not work. Locking up only one wheel does not hold the jeep as well and tends to drag forward more than using both. You can also engage the line lock with the brake off to block the pressure to the rear to do a rear dig while engaging just the front brakes as well.

A friend of mine with an LJ running a high9 rear recently added one to the rear of his and is very happy with the way it works on the trail.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Casey, this is helpful.

I'll have to look into those electric ones at jegs. I think the majority of their use will be on the trail. I am hoping they will work well for winching from outside the jeep. Currently I have to be sitting inside, holding the brakes so I don't roll. With a manual transmission, I can't have it running and be in park..

CRAZYCASEY

David1tontj said:
Thanks Casey, this is helpful. I'll have to look into those electric ones at jegs. I think the majority of their use will be on the trail. I am hoping they will work well for winching from outside the jeep. Currently I have to be sitting inside, holding the brakes so I don't roll. With a manual transmission, I can't have it running and be in park..

I think they would work fine, but if you plan on winching from outside the jeep you may want to be able to lock up all 4 wheels to help keep the jeep stationary.

David1tontj

I think they would work fine, but if you plan on winching from outside the jeep you may want to be able to lock up all 4 wheels to help keep the jeep stationary.

That what I'm thinking now.. Electric locks, one front, one rear. Should make it rock solid.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i recently saw on Hot Rod Grage them install a line lock on Blasthemi. maybe take a look at that system as well? just another idea for you david

David1tontj

i recently saw on Hot Rod Grage them install a line lock on Blasthemi. maybe take a look at that system as well? just another idea for you david

Thanks Coz,
I actually started thinking that if I am locked in 4low, the drivetrain should lock the frog and rear wheels together, so I might be able to get away with just a rear system....

Lots to think about.

David1tontj

Yes I think that would work. If you want something a little more reliable for long term use maybe something like this. I had considered this but decided even if I went through a few line locks it would still cost a lot less.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickupbrakeupgrades/tcase-disc-parking-brake-

That one would be tough for mine.. I don't have a flange on the output shaft, just a yoke.. Toyotas have that flange that makes it super easy to put different adapters, etc on. Mine- not so easy :(

Top Bottom