Lifting on a tighter budget...

Byte

I know you all have to be tired of all the repetitive threads about lifting on a budget. After reading through countless of these threads covering the same thing over and over my mind has gone to plaid so please pay no attention to the slack-jawed look on my face. :icon_crazy:

So what I have is the beginnings of a cobbled together setup with a few questions. First the setup and a bit of reasoning, though it could just be gas.

The contender - 2015 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock - Juice

RC 2.5" Series II - 634 - this looks like a pure spacer lift with shock relocation for stock shocks. This won't be Juice's one and only lift though budgeting is tight for the next several years at least. At just under $200 (less shocks), this option fits the budget. I won't be using their spring lift option as I don't see many positive reviews of their springs & shocks.

Some numbers I've found for shock dimensions. Hopefully these are close enough to not present any serious issues.
Stock front rubi shock - Comp length 14.75 - Ext length 22.75
Rancho RS999326 - Comp length 13.938 - Ext length 21.78
Rancho RS999329 - Comp length 15.660 - Ext length 25.28
Stock rear rubi shock - Comp length 14.63 - Ext length 23.13
Rancho RS999330 - Comp length 16.110 - Ext length 26.02
Rancho RS999332 - Comp length 16.813 - Ext length 27.19

I can run the stock rubi shocks with the relocation hardware for awhile but do plan on upgrading to the RS9000XL's at some point in the not too distant future. Question is which length to go with for this lift? I see that the Rancho 2" Sport kit RS66109BR9 is built around the RS999326 and the RS999330. That RS999326 actually shaves about an inch off the shock length with 2" of lift but allows for about 3/4" more compression up front. I don't see that the kit comes with any shock relocation. This doesn't make sense to me but I am most likely missing something important. The RS999330 in the rear does seem to be proportionally sized for 2" of lift and stock shock location. Not sure why the discrepancy. I am considering this kit as an alternate to the RC 2.5 also. Anybody with experience with this lift? Does it have shock relocation?

So I had it in my mind that the RS999329 coupled with the RC's 2.5 inches of lift w/o shock relocation brackets should work well. Am I high or just plain wrong? :thinking: Sticking to the RS999330's in the rear would seem to make sense with this kit as well. Anybody running the RC 2.5 Series II with the RS9000XL's? What size? Good/bad results? Too much droop up front for the stock drive shaft?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Napalm

Instead of running an RC kit, with 200 you can spend 34 dollars more an get an EVO 1.5 HD leveling kit. It is a much better quality kit made right here in the USA and the ride will be leaps and bounds better. You can run it with stock Rubi shocks and when your ready upgrade to Ranchos. You can also run 35s with it with flat fenders and it performs well off road.

Just check it out. I have personal experience with this kit and can attest that it's better than an RC 2.5 lift.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Do you like your factory ride? If so get the RC budget boost. I've been running mine for almost two years now and so far nothing has broken on me. This is on my 2014 JKUR.

Last time I checked I though I saw Rancho offering a shock lengh for 1"-3" of lift. I'd get those when you are ready to upgrade.

Jkjosh14

I second the Evo leveling kit it's great and is easy to install. The ride is better than stock and it flexes really well ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463695868.369012.jpg

Peak

I can't give an input on the Rancho shocks but I can on the rough country lift. I ran their 2.5" bb and it does the job. Most budget boosts are spacer lifts so you will usually maintain the factory ride quality. I ran it with the shock extensions. If you plan on getting bigger tires and wheeling it I would add some extended bumpstops, I bottomed out my rear shocks twice. I'd also get longer front sway bar links.

Flynlo

I ran the RC kit for about a year before upgrading to a Rock Krawler lift. I had no faults and it rode as good as stock. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Flip a coin.

Byte

Thank you all for your comments. I had considered the EVO 1.5" kit previously but am hoping to run 35's without trimming the fenders for now and the EVO looks like the fenders will be a must trim to fit 35's for anything beyond fire road wheeling. If I decide to go no taller than 33's it definitely would be the EVO setup. I like the idea of keeping as low as possible while gaining the needed ground clearance & articulation for rock crawling.

Whichever route I go I still want to go with the RS9000XL's so still looking into which length should yield the best results. Can never spend too much time doin' jeep research!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thank you all for your comments. I had considered the EVO 1.5" kit previously but am hoping to run 35's without trimming the fenders for now and the EVO looks like the fenders will be a must trim to fit 35's for anything beyond fire road wheeling. If I decide to go no taller than 33's it definitely would be the EVO setup. I like the idea of keeping as low as possible while gaining the needed ground clearance & articulation for rock crawling.

Whichever route I go I still want to go with the RS9000XL's so still looking into which length should yield the best results. Can never spend too much time doin' jeep research!

If your looking to lift it for 35's and NOT trim the fenders then look into a 2.5" budget boost that uses shock extensions like what teraflex offers. It uses factory coils and shocks to retain the factory ride quality.

Byte

If your looking to lift it for 35's and NOT trim the fenders then look into a 2.5" budget boost that uses shock extensions like what teraflex offers. It uses factory coils and shocks to retain the factory ride quality.

Not heard many positive things about TF in general so I'd prefer to use RC's 2.5 Series II spacer lift because it does keep the stock rubi coils. And yep with the shock relocation brackets it has I can run the stock shocks for awhile. Seems to be a good short term stepping stone to have the ability to run 35's without modifying the jeep in a way that can't be quickly returned to stock. Not that I have plans to sell this jeep! :fingerscrossed:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Not heard many positive things about TF in general so I'd prefer to use RC's 2.5 Series II spacer lift because it does keep the stock rubi coils. And yep with the shock relocation brackets it has I can run the stock shocks for awhile. Seems to be a good short term stepping stone to have the ability to run 35's without modifying the jeep in a way that can't be quickly returned to stock. Not that I have plans to sell this jeep! :fingerscrossed:

I just looked at your profile and since you are in MT I do not recommend the RC series II BB. They use steel spacers and they will begin to rust with all of the salt they use on your roads during the winter time.

Going with TF or some other similar BB that uses the rubber spacers will last a lot longer for you. No matter what 2.5" BB you choose you will be able to run advertised 35s without cutting your fenders, just make sure you get a kit with bump stops too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Teraflex sucks, I agree BUT a budget boost is a budget boost. The spacers are all made the same so it's hard to screw it up. The only difference between kits is what they come with. That being said the teraflex one is one of the more complete kits I have seen

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Because the have a history of parts breaking and then not standing behind their product....and welcome to WAL

Yup, the only thing they do t suck at is marketing and making the customers believe that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Liam&Jess

Dang, ok well thank you for the heads up before I get my 3inch lift, now I have to look at the 3inch lifts again, find a good lift for on road/ off road, and thanks for the welcome!

i have the 2.5" TF BB right now. it's gotten me by for the last couple years, but it's a very limited starter kit. if you plan on doing any serious offroading, you'll want to replace that with a coil spring lift as the ride will be much better. that said, i just got my 3.5" rock krawler coil springs, bump stops, long travel brake lines, exhaust spacer and extended sway bar links in today. i wish i would have done it right the first time.

also, i have the rancho9000xl's and i love them. they're awesome and will work up until i'm ready to go evo king coilovers!

Top Bottom