Lifting a JL

WJCO

Meme King
Stock DS hits exhaust and cross bar. Metalcloak’s DS just barely cleared at full droop on the lift. Metalcloak has a ton of flexibility with their long shocks/springs
I'm new to the Jeep thing, but seems to me like this is the only 2.5 inch kit requiring a new driveshaft that I've heard of. Tons of other manufacturers have figured out how to build a kit without replacing the front driveshaft. With that being said, metalcloak has always been one to advertise how well-endowed their shock length is. So maybe that's why they're the odd one out 🤷‍♂️

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm new to the Jeep thing, but seems to me like this is the only 2.5 inch kit requiring a new driveshaft that I've heard of. Tons of other manufacturers have figured out how to build a kit without replacing the front driveshaft. With that being said, metalcloak has always been one to advertise how well-endowed their shock length is. So maybe that's why they're the odd one out 🤷‍♂️
That was my guess. Shocks design for 3-5” lift. Coils probably unseat enough to remove them.

In regards to that stupid crossmember that likes to get in the way of driveshafts I couldn’t tell you the last time I had one on my Jeep. Not sure it does much other than hit rocks and get in the way. 🤷🏼‍♂️

trailraider

Driveshafts are fine and will serve you well for quite some time. Just keep an eye on them. The stock JL ball joints leave a bit to be desired. Synergy makes a good replacement as does American Iron Off-road.

Being that terafucks is local to me (and yes I still have a few of their products on my Jeep) I get a front row seat to all of their issues. Inferior materials and janky craftsmanship. Their falcon shocks work well and I don’t have anything bad to say about my front axle but… that’s also where what little good they offer comes to an end. Their control arms are thin and WILL bend. Their bushings will wear out quickly and their springs are not heat treated properly so they fatigue extremely fast.

At the time I didn’t know any better but have since changed all my steering and suspension components (except for my falcons because I’m not spending more money on shocks and coils until I can afford coilovers)

For the money there are better options than Teraflex. EVO makes an excellent 2.5 kit as does Synergy. Currie (rock jock) and Dynatracone who has no issues with the Falcon shocks.

We change them out frequently as they always seem to leak after about 4000-5000 kms.
I think 4WP are the guys up here flogging the garbage up here. not sure if its the cold they can't handle and they just give up but I am going to go with cheap seals that can't deal with dust/dirt.

Garbage shocks period .

Eby Creek

Both 2.5 and 3.5 inch Metalcloak lifts. I have the 392 with no FAD so the front driveshaft spins all the time. I put my frame on jack stands and lowered the front end and bent the collar on the Rzeppa joint. Wanted to see for myself, prior to replacing the front driveshaft. I'm running the Metalcloak 3.5" game changer. Added about 2 1/4" to my factory 392 lift. Pictured with 37 x 12.50R17 BFG KM3's.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 14

4PLAY

Well I trashed my stock driveshaft after installing a 4.88 UD44 up front with 2.5" MC springs...I had been running 6.7/6.9 caster on the stock Rubi axle and thought I left control arms adjusted as they were when installing the UD44. I say thought because she was on jack stands for 3 months waiting for backordered replacement front axle... It took just two days for the stock driveshaft spinning (no FAD on UD44) to start making loud noises-especially at 75+mph. When I did get on an alignment rack caster was near 8 degrees, no wonder the stock shaft failed! MC did recommend a new front driveshaft with their 2.5" springs, however it was the pinion angle that trashed my stock shaft. I have a new Adams I will install and test later this week, my guess is pinion angle should be fine with about 5.5 degrees of caster.

Top Bottom