Lifting a JL

CTarna

Learning JL technicalities being used to my JKU.
When lifting JLUR (2.5 Teraflex), do I need to consider a new front driveshaft?
Are the JL ball joints any better than JK?
All input appreciated.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Are the JL ball joints and better than JK?
All input appreciated.
No on the driveshaft but I would reconsider your lift choice.

Dale72

Hooked
Teraaflex will always blame you if anything failed with their products. To them it's always a install error

JimLee

Hooked
Are the JL ball joints any better than JK?
All input appreciated.
As @CalSgt said, no need to change drive shafts on 2.5. My ball joints are shot to F'k at 30k however (on 35's), but I attribute that to running lots and lots of washboard roads. I'm not changing them though as I'm doing an axle swap soon.

Driveshafts are fine and will serve you well for quite some time. Just keep an eye on them. The stock JL ball joints leave a bit to be desired. Synergy makes a good replacement as does American Iron Off-road.

Being that terafucks is local to me (and yes I still have a few of their products on my Jeep) I get a front row seat to all of their issues. Inferior materials and janky craftsmanship. Their falcon shocks work well and I don’t have anything bad to say about my front axle but… that’s also where what little good they offer comes to an end. Their control arms are thin and WILL bend. Their bushings will wear out quickly and their springs are not heat treated properly so they fatigue extremely fast.

At the time I didn’t know any better but have since changed all my steering and suspension components (except for my falcons because I’m not spending more money on shocks and coils until I can afford coilovers)

For the money there are better options than Teraflex. EVO makes an excellent 2.5 kit as does Synergy. Currie (rock jock) and Dynatrac.

CTarna

Thanks for the direction on TF lifts, I will avoid.
Any input on Rubicon Express 2.5 lift?

Same with RE. Rough country, pro comp etc. RE is basically a rebranded TF kit and shares many components. They’re excellent “make my Jeep look cool” kits. Function, ride quality and durability are not on their list of priorities at all.

Ddays

Hooked
If you value your kidneys skip the RE lift. I'm running the Dynatrac lift on my JL on 37's for now. It's a my daily so I wanted something that wouldn't beat me up but still perform decent offroad. If you're frequently offroad, I might consider the EVO/Synergy/Currie. I'm on 37's and with just the 2.5", there are some limitations with flex. A 3.5" kit will allow less rubbing, if any.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Driveshafts are fine and will serve you well for quite some time. Just keep an eye on them. The stock JL ball joints leave a bit to be desired. Synergy makes a good replacement as does American Iron Off-road.

Being that terafucks is local to me (and yes I still have a few of their products on my Jeep) I get a front row seat to all of their issues. Inferior materials and janky craftsmanship. Their falcon shocks work well and I don’t have anything bad to say about my front axle but… that’s also where what little good they offer comes to an end. Their control arms are thin and WILL bend. Their bushings will wear out quickly and their springs are not heat treated properly so they fatigue extremely fast.

At the time I didn’t know any better but have since changed all my steering and suspension components (except for my falcons because I’m not spending more money on shocks and coils until I can afford coilovers)

For the money there are better options than Teraflex. EVO makes an excellent 2.5 kit as does Synergy. Currie (rock jock) and Dynatrac.
You are the only person on here to have said those falcon shocks are good. Many people have said they are garbage and with the reputation teraflex has, I would side with them. I would prefer nobody here has to deal with teraflex or buy their junk.

Andy5160

Hooked
As many already said go with EVO,Synergy,Rancho. Many of us here had great luck with them. You do not need the driveshaft for 2.5 lift. I have 3.5 on 37's and did not need to replace the driveshaft even tough i bought one just in case. Everything is getting cleared and no rubbing. Am sure will need to replace at some point when rzeppa joint gets torn but not that soon.
Good luck.

Last edited:
You are the only person on here to have said those falcon shocks are good. Many people have said they are garbage and with the reputation teraflex has, I would side with them. I would prefer nobody here has to deal with teraflex or buy their junk.
I fully agree and I would not recommend anyone give them a dime. At the time it what was available to me and I’ve been lucky that they’ve held up, but my money will be spent with King next time around.

Top Bottom