Lifter Noise On Start Up

Hell_Fire

OK so my lifters started ticking a wile ago only for like a few seconds on cold start up, I have checked my oil and it was fine still is, any one ever had the same issue? Or is this normal for the 3.8L petrol motors?

mjhau02

I have heard "clicking" at start up. Rarely though. Mine seem to click during mild acceleration and on a grade. Dealership says I should try a different grade of fuel and buy fuel from a differnt gas station than my current one. Sure..... I would love to hear of more logical suggestions. Ha!

Toneman

Everything ticks here in vegas at 110 heat so I wont be of much help. Have you tried adding the lucas oil treatment during oil changes? That stuff is amazing

KernHydro

yeah lucus or royal purple is good it will help keep the top end lubed up so you dont have dry starts..and it might boost a little performance.

Toneman

According to the epa you also receive a 15 percent fuel economy boost... which in our vehicles isn't much hahahaha

Hell_Fire

mjhau02 said:
I have heard "clicking" at start up. Rarely though. Mine seem to click during mild acceleration and on a grade. Dealership says I should try a different grade of fuel and buy fuel from a differnt gas station than my current one. Sure..... I would love to hear of more logical suggestions. Ha!

Fuel hmmmm I am gonna try that and see next time I fill up gonna try a lower grade and test that theory, thanx for that info man

Strainger

Caught the Bug
OK so my lifters started ticking a wile ago only for like a few seconds on cold start up, I have checked my oil and it was fine still is, any one ever had the same issue? Or is this normal for the 3.8L petrol motors?

Not sure if your situation is the same as mine, but I noticed a momentary ticking sound after I switched to a non-OEM oil filter to save a couple of bucks. I asked around and was told that sometimes the cheaper filters let more oil drain back down to the oil pan and it takes a couple of seconds to get it back up to the top of the engine when first started.

I haven't had that problem since changing back to OEM filters at oil changes.

Hell_Fire

Not sure if your situation is the same as mine, but I noticed a momentary ticking sound after I switched to a non-OEM oil filter to save a couple of bucks. I asked around and was told that sometimes the cheaper filters let more oil drain back down to the oil pan and it takes a couple of seconds to get it back up to the top of the engine when first started.

I haven't had that problem since changing back to OEM filters at oil changes.

Well it is up for a service fearly soon, you might be on to something there Strainger, how long did you drive yours with the noise?

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I drove it for a little less than 3000 miles. Then I got the oil change and new filter. No more noise after that.

Top Bottom