Lift kits..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Won't lie. This makes me want to just swap my tires and call it a day until some later point. Lol They should advertise this on their website 😏😂
LOL - death wobble isn't something to fear, it's something to understand and fix. Typically, it is caused by loose or worn out steering or suspension components. Most typically, a loose track bar bolt or blow out bushing. Loose or bad ball joints are the next big culprit. This is ALL the more reason why you should invest in tools and learn how to work on your own Jeep - so that you can start identifying and taking care of things yourself.

Trust me - YOU CAN DO IT (y)

JWasko

Caught the Bug
This is absolutely spot on. 👆 I’m a long ways from being a gear monkey, but with a few tools installed a 2 inch lift in my garage. Plus the more you work around it the more you’ll understand how to fix any issues in the future. Not to mention the pride factor of taking care of things yourself.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I guess the question would be- if a person adds a lift and steering stabilizer, is it a higher possibility to recieve the death wobble? as a daily, I don't really want to pour money into fixing something like that since it can mean a few things.
Yes, the DWs scared me, but I survived every incident without dying or wrecking the Jeep. As Eddie pointed out, DWs are caused by loose or worn parts. I've also had DWs from parts flexing (wimpy XJ "Y" link flexing after a lift and larger tires were installed) or cracked (XJ frame cracked at steering box mount).

Even with a lift kit, you won't get DWs unless something is loose, worn, flexing or cracked.

Not every steering problem is the Death Wobbles. It could just be wandering from poor alignment or incompatible parts.

I learned about fixing DWs (and other problems) by doing my own inspections, troubleshooting and repairs. Everybody has to start someplace. When I first started, I didn't know what I didn't know about anything automotive (or aircraft or...) and I'm embarrassed looking back at what I thought I knew.

Take one step at a time and ask questions. We'll guide you through.

rubi_vette

Update! So I ended up getting the Rubicon lifted (3.5") with upgraded drive shaft (RC). And I'm very pleased with it.

This morning on my daily commute, I noticed that the steering wheel was not straight while going straight, but I did do an alignment. Than after a few miles in I got a ESC light that is just ON. Doesn't flash. I did some research saying that it's possible that the Steering wheel when isn't straight or properly aligned they have to adjust that so the sensor corrects itself? Is this something normal in Jeeps. (I did also get the dual stabilizers as well, and they make the steering more direct as well)

I know when I had my Truck lifted and done an alignment, the steering wheel was a little off, went back in and they corrected it. But never had a light. I wonder if the Jeep has this that the GM doesn't. Lol

Overall update on it: On pavement it rides really well. It's smooth; and yes I got it up to 70mph without any problems as well. Snow wheeling coming this weekend! I'll be able to record the Jeep on the trail :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry but unless you got adjustable control arms with your kit, the only thing you paid to have your alignment shop to do is recenter your steering wheel. That's it... and, they really couldn't even do that??

Your steering wheel being off center would make your Jeep think that you're in a slide, that's why you got the light on your dash. I would say to take your Jeep back to them and have them fix it but at this point and time, I'm not sure I would trust them to do anything. This is something you can fix yourself with a 15mm wrench and literally, 2 minutes of your time.

rubi_vette

I'm sorry but unless you got adjustable control arms with your kit, the only thing you paid to have your alignment shop to do is recenter your steering wheel. That's it... and, they really couldn't even do that??

Your steering wheel being off center would make your Jeep think that you're in a slide, that's why you got the light on your dash. I would say to take your Jeep back to them and have them fix it but at this point and time, I'm not sure I would trust them to do anything. This is something you can fix yourself with a 15mm wrench and literally, 2 minutes of your time.

Oh interesting! so the car has a sensor thinking it's sliding? Well, I'm going to drive it carefully regardless the next 24hrs. I'm having them adjust it, cause after paying for that, there doing it. Additionally, I kept all my stock parts and I made sure they labeled it for me as well.

Thanks for the advice! :)

rubi_vette

Oh interesting! so the car has a sensor thinking it's sliding? Well, I'm going to drive it carefully regardless the next 24hrs. I'm having them adjust it, cause after paying for that, there doing it. Additionally, I kept all my stock parts and I made sure they labeled it for me as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Your steering wheel has what's called a clock spring. Essentially, it determines where the steering wheel is in relationship to center. If your steering wheel is off and clearly, it sounds like it is, your Jeeps computer will think you're in a slide. If it persists, it will turn off your traction control system. There is no problem or danger to you or your Jeep with the light on. But, that is what the problem is.

rubi_vette

Your steering wheel has what's called a clock spring. Essentially, it determines where the steering wheel is in relationship to center. If your steering wheel is off and clearly, it sounds like it is, your Jeeps computer will think you're in a slide. If it persists, it will turn off your traction control system. There is no problem or danger to you or your Jeep with the light on. But, that is what the problem is.
Thank you for confirming that! What have these new rides come to nowadays ... Sensors for everything it seems!.. Makes me love my Corvette with little to no technology more and more...

I appreciate your advice! I definitely am satisifed with the lift. Now to figure out a winch/front bumper in the near future.. It's a good thing I'm not married yet, wallet... 💸💸

Vim0971

Plus, if you do the work yourself, when you break down on the trail you'll have an idea of what to do.
Great advice. Always best to know equipment yourself. That being said also know your limits if you’re not capable of researching the how to/ following manufacturers instructions have it done. Make sure your rig is safe.

Top Bottom