Let's see your creative CB installs.

mikefishes

Cut and pasted from my build thread last week:

Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works. The Cobra 75 has all the controls on the mic. There is a small connector box under the seat.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

View attachment 26775

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

View attachment 26776

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

View attachment 26777

View attachment 26778

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I like the idea of tossing the head unit somewhere out of the way. Looks good

munstie

Pulled the rubber tray out of the dash, and made a bracket then used the single screw in the bottom to mount the bracket, and it is easily all put back to stock when I get my sport cage.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Attachments

• 1367371268502.jpg
    1367371268502.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 306

b-white

I have mine mounted in the center console. I wanted a nice and clean install where it was out of the way since this is my dd. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367417267.132604.jpg

It's hard to hear on the road when the arm rest is down but when I am on the trail it is plenty loud. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367417347.139451.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I like the tuffy box option. I've never seen one in a jeep (other than pictures). It looks like it would block the handles on the freedom top panels. Can you still get at those latches?

Yup, you sure can, no problem. The box itself can slide forward or back a bit to help make it even easier.

b-white

B-White That's exactly what I was considering. I'm such a noob it never ocurred to me about the speaker... I'll have to think that one through. Thanks!

Like I said, the cb is plenty loud when I am on the trail with the console closed. When on the road I just drive with it open, kinda annoying, but it works. Eventually I will add an external speaker. Most of the cbs have an audio out on the back so you can add a speaker, I am thinking about mounting the speaker in the center console as well but facing out toward the shifter. Again looking for that nice clean install.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
uniden pro 520 xl
its nothing fancy but it gets the job done for talking to my buddies on the trails and i got everything the cb the coax, antenna, stub, spring, and mount for just a little over $100 all on amazon

I have a Cobra about that same size and that is where my CB is mounted. I have the mike holder beside the shifter.

QuintonYoung

I just got done installing mine this weekend I have a cobra 148gtl CB and I mounted it on my center dash and for my CB whip yes I mean whip I mounted it on my spare tire and yes it is a real 102"inch whip I drive around with but when on the trail I take it off and have a little 3foot fire stick but I love the whip look I get alot of looks from it. I will post pics later tonight

Top Bottom