Leaking oil only while wheeling.

WillyRockIt

Took my ‘14 JKU out to Johnson Valley yesterday and I have an oil leak. It’s coming down around the transmission soaking the bottom of the tranny pan and dripping onto the crossmember. It seems to only leak when I’m on an extreme off camber or coming down a steep ledge. I drove forward up onto a rock face and looked underneath but it didn’t leak. I thought maybe I overfilled the last time I did an oil change but by the time I got home I was a good quart low. Since the leak appears to be on the top area around the trans I can’t get a look at it. I can’t see anything looking from the top through the engine compartment as it must be further back towards the middle of the Jeep. The 2 little rubber plugs where I think the rear main seal would leak is dry. No oil from there.

Is there a plug or a breather hose that may have come loose or detached up there? Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I did notice it once before after taking a water nozzle to the undercarriage after some fun in the mud. Came out the next morning to a bunch of oil on the ground and noticeable streaks on the trans pan like it’s doing now. I thought it may have just been buildup or something that got washed out with the mud from the top of the engine/trans. It didn’t happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
What tdougherty and rooster said. Same thing happened to mine. Replaced it and fixed the problem :thumb:

Top Bottom