late shift point after regear

Hi

At last I´ve regeared from 3.73 to 4.56. Not going to say the jeep was not usable before but boy what a difference. Not hunting gear anymore for the slighest incline and has power again. so much better!

Anyway, have used my procal so speedometer is spot on. My 35 inch is 33,5 in true size so did set procal on 33.5 and also changed the gear ratio. Most of the time it works perfect with verey nice shiftpoints. But my problem is this. If you start from zero and have a incline in front of you it revs very high on second gear before shifting to third gear. It is not about giving a lot of skinny pedal but normal use of the skinny pedal. it goes up to 3000 and even more and because of not giving much skinny pedal it like stay on that rpm untill the incline stops. Problem is, no reason for the gearbox to behave like that because the inclines are not that steep and it could easily go up to third gear. Now you just have to listen to uneccessary high rpm and you can hear that the engine is not working hard at all, just a lot of rpm.

Difficult for me to explain better in english but I think you all understand what I mean. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
My experience matches yours - only I only went to 33" tires and 4.10 gears in my 2012 JK Sport. As an "easy fix" I just use my skinny pedal to cue the transmission to shift by ever so slightly letting off the throttle when it fails to shift on its own. 9 times out of 10 this causes the transmission to shift up as I feel it should. In the rare instance that this does not work, I just do it again and it has always shifted as I had intended it to.

Hopefully others will chime in with more information on a real fix for the problem we are both experiencing!

And in Swedish:

Min erfarenhet matchar din - bara jag gick bara till 33 "däck och 4,10 växlar i min 2012 JK Sport. Som en" enkel fix "använder jag min smala pedal för att få växellådan att byta genom att helt enkelt släppa gasen lite.

9 gånger av 10 gör detta att växellådan växlar upp som jag känner att den ska. I det sällsynta fallet att detta inte fungerar gör jag det bara igen och det har alltid förändrats.

Förhoppningsvis kommer andra att svara med mer information om en verklig lösning på problemet vi båda upplever!

did not know that tapping the shifter was doing that. I´m know that you can lock for example the first or second gear and so on but once the D letyter om the dash was litted i did not know that the shifter still worked to uppshift. have to try that.

But, is there no solve so that the gearbox does the work by itself in the correct way?

The BAD Influence

Mine does the exact same thing, after regear and bigger tires. AEV has the speedometer spot on.
And, as previously stated, just let off the throttle slightly or just go to manual mode.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Mine has started running longer on all the gears recently, but that is because I went to 37's and have 4.56 gears which is to be expected. When I was on 35s I would notice the middle gears do that on occasion so I would just ease off the throttle or switch on the shifter as stated. I think that is just the way Jeep programming is set up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Mine does the exact same thing, after regear and bigger tires. AEV has the speedometer spot on.
And, as previously stated, just let off the throttle slightly or just go to manual mode.
Bumping the shifter and manual mode are two different things. Bumping the shifter keeps you in Drive and just upshifts. Manual mode you have to do the whole thing.

laffman

Curious, can the procal trigger a transmission relearn? When I change the tunes in the diesel truck, I always trigger a transmission relearn. Otherwise, it shifts like crap. Takes about 100 miles for it to learn and smooth out the shift points.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Curious, can the procal trigger a transmission relearn? When I change the tunes in the diesel truck, I always trigger a transmission relearn. Otherwise, it shifts like crap. Takes about 100 miles for it to learn and smooth out the shift points.

I've driven mine for thousands of miles and it still does this... I think as others have said, this is just how Jeep intends the vehicle to run. I once read a post from a supposed Chrysler engineer that said 3.6 likes WOT evidencing that engines that were routinely run at higher RPMs maintained the honing cross-hatches well past when other parts caused the engine to need to be rebuilt. Conversely, engines that were "dogged" were found to have no or much less cross-hatching when they were rebuilt. I struggle at an explanation for why this would be other than WOT causes more entrainment and splashing of oil on to the piston lower skirts. Who knows! I guess I will let you know when I get there! LOL

The BAD Influence

Some time ago, somewhere on this site, there was a Jeeper who found a transmission control module that can be programmed for any gear ratio and tire hight. Can't remember the name or company. But apparently this is a thing, and a company has a solution. I looked it up once and seem to remember it being $300 ish. Decided it wasn't that big of a deal, so I passed.

I've driven mine for thousands of miles and it still does this... I think as others have said, this is just how Jeep intends the vehicle to run. I once read a post from a supposed Chrysler engineer that said 3.6 likes WOT evidencing that engines that were routinely run at higher RPMs maintained the honing cross-hatches well past when other parts caused the engine to need to be rebuilt. Conversely, engines that were "dogged" were found to have no or much less cross-hatching when they were rebuilt. I struggle at an explanation for why this would be other than WOT causes more entrainment and splashing of oil on to the piston lower skirts. Who knows! I guess I will let you know when I get there! LOL
Oiling efficiency, keeps a higher more constant flow as the mechanical pump runs faster at higher rpm. Also if you look up break in procedures for engines, the manufacturers always tell you to baby it. But a performance builder will tell you to get it up to temp and then beat on it. Lots of things that don’t make sense at first when it comes to engines. Also when running high rpm prevents carbon build up.

Top Bottom