Larger Shocks on Double Throwdown

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I'm looking to get every bit of performance out of my rig's suspension. It currently has the DoubleThowdown system from Evo. Has anyone tried putting a larger Triple/Double Bypass shock on their Double Throwdown system?

How many of you have done the "Moby" Rear axle stretch on the double throwdown? Any feedback?

I think the main issue is interference with the DTD “frame”. They developed that system around a super compressed coilover and bypass shock so that they aren’t hitting when the system is fully dropped out. I can’t speak to the stretch that ORE did on Moby but, the main benefit for them doing it was to get more up travel if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure someone will chime in on that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think the main issue is interference with the DTD “frame”. They developed that system around a super compressed coilover and bypass shock so that they aren’t hitting when the system is fully dropped out. I can’t speak to the stretch that ORE did on Moby but, the main benefit for them doing it was to get more up travel if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure someone will chime in on that.
You can fit bigger. I had bigger on my silver Jeep. 3.0 bypass and 2.5 shock. The rear is harder but you can go slightly bigger.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
You can fit bigger. I had bigger on my silver Jeep. 3.0 bypass and 2.5 shock. The rear is harder but you can go slightly bigger.
Hell yeah. Might have to look into making that my next mod. Did you notice a big difference?

Last edited:

MericaMade

Hell yeah. Might have to look into making that my next mod. Did you notice a big difference?
Your looking at 18 to 20 months for shocks. I inquired with Evo about this a few months ago and they said it can be done but good luck on the wait.

Gecko13

I'm looking to get every bit of performance out of my rig's suspension. It currently has the DoubleThowdown system from Evo. Has anyone tried putting a larger Triple/Double Bypass shock on their Double Throwdown system?

How many of you have done the "Moby" Rear axle stretch on the double throwdown? Any feedback?
What exactly is the Moby rear stretch?

Question on having coilovers rebuilt.

When do need to get it done? When you notice degraded performance or at certain mileage intervals? Do they go back to King or do other shops rebuild them?
It really depends on how hard you are on them like bombing through the desert getting them hot. If you daily the Jeep and do some occasional crawling, you can probably wait till around 25k miles but again, there really is no "set" time.

Just like any other oils when getting really hot, the viscosity breaks down. This will then change the performance in the shock and how the oil flows through the piston/shims. A rebuild/service definitely makes a huge difference though if you have the miles.

You do not have to ship to KING for rebuilds/service. We do them here using KING oil/seal kits. You can also reach out to Mel at servicemyshocks.com

Top Bottom