Krawl to the King

Skirmish

Last weekend was the benefit run for Crown King, AZ put on by the AZ Krawlers. Last summer they had a forest fire followed by a flood that washed out the road in. The town used to have gold mines but relies strictly on tourism and caters to the offroad community. 4 of us brought 3 rigs out to join a total of 70 rigs that did the back way up to Crown King. It was a fun day. The trail isn't really difficult, everything had a bypass but it was very scenic. The people in charge were quite friendly and excellent spotters. Our group of 10 rigs got through without too much difficulty even though being the first to head out at 6 AM I think most of us were asleep for the first few miles. Saw one WAL sticker, could have been more.

I shot some video.

http://warmachines702.forumer.com/skirmish-studios-presents-t1231028-70.html#p12338262

And some pics.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375318195.968031.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375318195.968031.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 156

NAUJK

I was planning on going but some friends needed a vehicle to help move their stuff into a new apartment so I didn't. Wish I did tho lovev the crown king trail. Would have liked to meet you as well.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hey Keith,

Nice pics and video! :rock:

Did you ever make a marathon video? I'm dying to see what I missed. :grayno:

Skirmish

Having trouble getting footage. Turned out there were only three cameras going and all of them were on our team. I only shot the first half of the first run cause I was busy leading and breaking an axle. I haven't seen the other two cameramen since.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Having trouble getting footage. Turned out there were only three cameras going and all of them were on our team. I only shot the first half of the first run cause I was busy leading and breaking an axle. I haven't seen the other two cameramen since.

Well that blows. :(

And makes me feel worse since I have two gopros I was planning to bring.

Skirmish

I was planning on going but some friends needed a vehicle to help move their stuff into a new apartment so I didn't. Wish I did tho lovev the crown king trail. Would have liked to meet you as well.

It's too bad you couldn't make it. Guess you'll have to come out to Vegas for a run to make up for it.

Fridge81

I just so happend to be out there! It was a beautiful day. Our group had two rzrs, two YJs and I was in my jk.

The beer was nice and cold at the end as well!

1375363951678.jpg

Sent from some trail, somewhere.

Last edited:

Skirmish

Yeah, when I brought the run up to our club they thought running north of Phoenix in July would be like running on the sun. It turned out to be great weather.

Fridge81

Oh yeah. With you leaving at 0600 you had great weather the whole way up. Did you take the trail back to the lake pleasant parking area or take the maintained road out?

Sent from some trail, somewhere.

Skirmish

I actually had a nightmare getting home. I went out the nicer road up to Spring Valley, over to Prescott and up to Ash Fork cause I was told the scenery would be better and it was probably the quicker way back to Vegas. When I got to Ash Fork there had been an accident in the road construction just East of the I-40 on ramp and the freeway was shutdown, scheduled to stay that way for a few hours. They couldn't even let us in to Ash Fork for a half an hour and Route 66 was closed for flooding.

I was told my best bet was to head back South if I wanted to get home. That meant back through Prescott, up and down 30 miles of 20 mph switchbacks and out to Wickenburg to take the 93 back to civilization. I left Crown at around 5 PM and didn't get home until 2 AM. Should have been in around ten so I got to spend an extra 4 hours added to the 5 it should have been after the 5 hours on the trail. My dogs were not pleased stuck in the Jeep for 14 hours of the day.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I love Crown King. My wife and I are from Prescott and used to drive up there quite a bit. I even accidentally sent her into early labor when she was pregnant with our twins while wheeling up there. Ah, the memories! The doctor was pretty upset we were out wheeling while she was pregnant.:doh:

Top Bottom