Katmai 2023

onlyone

Ok…he spent time in a tent after the park
Closed for the season…and the salmon (and food) was long gone…
Well…the “food” wasn’t gone….

I get it, I was just busting balls. I would have a hard time not killing everyone of them, that was that close. Self preservation ya know. I’m sure you carry what you need to extinguish the problem if needed.

Brute

Hooked
Well…the “food” wasn’t gone….

I get it, I was just busting balls. I would have a hard time not killing everyone of them, that was that close. Self preservation ya know. I’m sure you carry what you need to extinguish the problem if needed.
Nope…a couple guides carry bear spray, but that’s it…unless you’re toting a slug gun, it’s really not effective to have a sidearm with them that close

Spazbyt

Hooked
Nope…a couple guides carry bear spray, but that’s it…unless you’re toting a slug gun, it’s really not effective to have a sidearm with them that close
Years ago Smith & Wesson marketed a short barrel 500 magnum for backpacking in bear country. When I asked the Smith rep why the grips of the gun were blaze orange he said "It's easier to spot in a pile of bear shit so they can figure out exactly which bear ate you" 😬

Brute

Hooked
Is that the famous Otis? He’s at least 27 years old and has a huge social media following. Im so jealous right now. That is my dream trip.
Probably not…I saw at least 60 different bears…the only Otis I know of was Otis Redding…

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Looks like another awesome trip Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Years ago Smith & Wesson marketed a short barrel 500 magnum for backpacking in bear country. When I asked the Smith rep why the grips of the gun were blaze orange he said "It's easier to spot in a pile of bear shit so they can figure out exactly which bear ate you" 😬

All the AK guides I know would choose bear spray over a sidearm. However, they usually carry both for good measure.

Top Bottom