JL JT Key Fob Range

WJCO

Meme King
I'm posting this here mainly to document what just happened to us as far as the key fob range but also so it doesn't happen to someone else. Right now the JLU is topless and has tube doors on. My wife just got home and couldn't find the key fob. She never had a 'key fob has left the vehicle' message so we figured that's a good sign. We looked for about 10 minutes and finally located the key fob on the back of the RR wheel well on the carpeted area (just behind the rear seat). She remembered that she had set the key fob on the Tuffy Deck to get a sweatshirt out of the back and must have forgotten the key fob on top. Luckily the key fob didn't slide out of the Jeep while she drove home.

Which brings me to my next point....if the key fob works just fine all the way back there, why the fuck can't I step out of the driver's door with the key in my pocket without the computer going ape shit and beeping at us?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - now that's a damn good question!! :ROFLMAO:

Glad to hear you found the FOB still inside the Jeep. Would have sucked if it got lost on the way home.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I know my Ram at least doesn’t care if I step out with the key in my pocket and walk away with it running. I know the guys at the car wash have no issues put it in drive to take it thru car wash when the keys are still in my pocket when I forget to give it to them. It has worried me a bit to how far away it could be driven before it would shut the vehicle down.

WJCO

Meme King
I know my Ram at least doesn’t care if I step out with the key in my pocket and walk away with it running. I know the guys at the car wash have no issues put it in drive to take it thru car wash when the keys are still in my pocket when I forget to give it to them. It has worried me a bit to how far away it could be driven before it would shut the vehicle down.
I can't even reach into the vehicle with the fob in my pocket to push the start button and roll the windows down without the message popping up, lol.

CalSgt

Hooked
I'm posting this here mainly to document what just happened to us as far as the key fob range but also so it doesn't happen to someone else. Right now the JLU is topless and has tube doors on. My wife just got home and couldn't find the key fob. She never had a 'key fob has left the vehicle' message so we figured that's a good sign. We looked for about 10 minutes and finally located the key fob on the back of the RR wheel well on the carpeted area (just behind the rear seat). She remembered that she had set the key fob on the Tuffy Deck to get a sweatshirt out of the back and must have forgotten the key fob on top. Luckily the key fob didn't slide out of the Jeep while she drove home.

Which brings me to my next point....if the key fob works just fine all the way back there, why the fuck can't I step out of the driver's door with the key in my pocket without the computer going ape shit and beeping at us?
LOL... Mine wont start if the keys are in my pocket and I lean in to start it before getting in, but will start when I throw my bag in back with the keys in it.

Bear_JT

Hooked
My Durango for work is very sensitive with the fob to the left or right of the vehicle but from the front seat back, no problem. I think the proximity sensor only senses front to back not side to side.

One time I drove without the fob in my pocket and only discovered that I did not have the fob in my pocket when I got to the destination. I learned this when I was unable to lock the Jeep after my wife had already walked into the store. She had a second fob in her purse.

This is a scenario which can leave you royally screwed. Imagine if your second fob left on an airplane and you can't drive your Jeep away from the airport!

jeeeep

Hooked
interesting, I can leave my fob in the JK parked next to the '18 JL and still start the JL.
I do get the fob warning but it still operates enough to move it in and out of the driveway - haven't tried going further.

trailraider

I can answer a few of these questions.

proximity tuning is basically how it will work inside the vehicle but wont when you are standing out side. you can literally have it on the outside of the window and be inside and won't start. we get people all the time say the key was hanging on the wall in the house and it got stolen cause the key was detected. nope sorry does not happen. I work with insurance investigators all the time on this scenario for their cases . it amazing when they find the vehicles basically perfect condition parked some they can go "find" after the payout. Once the vehicle is started, you can leave with the key and you have one free pass, shut it down and it is dead where is stopped. these keys are also very sensitive to interference. eg sometimes if you have the fob in your pocket next to your phone it will interrupt the signal. amazing how many phone calls we get asking about the key fob not detected, ask if its next to the phone. move it and bingo , vehicle starts.

Top Bottom