JL JOURNAL : EVO Quarter Pounder Front Bumper Installation

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Are you referring to flipping the swaybar motor? To be honest, I didn't get instructions with my bumper so I don't know anything about drilling. As far as the hoop goes, I don't think there's any way you could install it the winch in it. Yes, it's tough if only because it's heavy but you should be able to install the winch in afterward. I did anyway.

Yup. They’re saying to drill through 1/2” of the bolt hole on the swaybar motor.

IMG_1349.jpg

The instruction also say to mount the winch before installing the bumper... the way you did it in the video seems much easier though. Lol. I think I’ll try that way. I was just curious if something changed and drilling the motor is necessary, or if I could still just buy new hardware without drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CalSgt

Hooked
Yup. They’re saying to drill through 1/2” of the bolt hole on the swaybar motor.

View attachment 360453

The instruction also say to mount the winch before installing the bumper... the way you did it in the video seems much easier though. Lol. I think I’ll try that way. I was just curious if something changed and drilling the motor is necessary, or if I could still just buy new hardware without drilling.

I drilled mine like the EVO instructions said, and mounted the winch after the bumper was on... I left the bumper bolts a little loose until the winch was in, my winch just barely touches the grill & leaving the bumper loose gave me some wiggle room.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I drilled mine like the EVO instructions said, and mounted the winch after the bumper was on... I left the bumper bolts a little loose until the winch was in, my winch just barely touches the grill & leaving the bumper loose gave me some wiggle room.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’m gonna just buy the hardware and if it doesn’t work out, drill it per the instructions. I’m kinda hesitant to drill it for some weird reason. I’m more worried about drilling that than I was drilling the holes in the body for rocker skins. Lol.

MericaMade

Alrighty so I’m gonna tackle this project hopefully this weekend. I wanted to clarify something in the instructions and this video though... so Evo instructions say that I need to drill part of the sway bar motor to 1/2”... but if I go buy new hardware and crush sleeve as in this video, that isn’t necessary? Also for those who have the mid hoop, can I still install the winch after the bumper is mounted?

Different platform but on my JK I want to say if you reuse the sawybar hardware you need to drill it out so the bolt will fit.

I installed my mid hoop with my warn winch installed. It was a bitch by myself. Install the hoop first so your not dealing with the weight of the winch trying to line up holes for the bumper and hoop.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so, I didn't do any drilling nor have I have done it in the past LOL. I've always just used a longer bolt and made it work. That being said, I can totally see how the drilling would work and I wouldn't be afraid of it. The housing is just aluminum and it'll go through quick and easy.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Alrighty so another question... if I rotate the sway bar motor the other way according to their instructions, the motor gets dangerously close to the drag link... so I rotated it according to this video, and the bumper makes contact with it, even with 3 spacer plates. Any ideas?

IMG_1359.jpg

MericaMade

Alrighty so another question... if I rotate the sway bar motor the other way according to their instructions, the motor gets dangerously close to the drag link... so I rotated it according to this video, and the bumper makes contact with it, even with 3 spacer plates. Any ideas?

View attachment 360673

Again on a JK but trying to help you, you could got the Evo no limits. Here is mine flipped with same bumper but on JK. You can see the motor has scratched off a little of the Synergy Drag link. 20210322_114857.jpg 20210322_114916.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 360673

So, this is how mine looks as well only, I have about 1/16" of a gap between the two. Maybe less. When you say that yours is making contact, it is just barely touching or was it hard to get the bumper on because of it? I ask because once installed, neither your bumper nor sway bar disconnect motor will move and it's really not that big of a deal if they just touch.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
So, this is how mine looks as well only, I have about 1/16" of a gap between the two. Maybe less. When you say that yours is making contact, it is just barely touching or was it hard to get the bumper on because of it? I ask because once installed, neither your bumper nor sway bar disconnect motor will move and it's really not that big of a deal if they just touch.

Yeah that picture was taken on a test fit. Once I tightened it down, it made solid contact there where the nubs are with the thin black spacer. I notched out a little of the bumper to give it some room, then the black plate on the right with the connector made solid contact. That’s when I took everything out then rotated it the other way. I think another bumper spacer plate and longer bolts would be a much easier solution.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that picture was taken on a test fit. Once I tightened it down, it made solid contact there where the nubs are with the thin black spacer. I notched out a little of the bumper to give it some room, then the black plate on the right with the connector made solid contact. That’s when I took everything out then rotated it the other way. I think another bumper spacer plate and longer bolts would be a much easier solution.

Well, I'm glad that you got everything to work. I was gonna suggest that you loosen up the sway bar mounting bolts, tap them forward with a hammer and then tighten them up again. The holes on the mounts allow for some movement and that might have been all you needed.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well, I'm glad that you got everything to work. I was gonna suggest that you loosen up the sway bar mounting bolts, tap them forward with a hammer and then tighten them up again. The holes on the mounts allow for some movement and that might have been all you needed.

Oh wow I didn’t know that! Thanks for the info!

JAGS

Hooked
Alright… thread resurrection here. 🤪 Being that it’s been a few years and many have now installed this on a JL, curious if any tips for sway bar flip and 1/4 install. Are there still clearance issues?

I’ll be tackling this install fairly soon and haven’t found anything aside from this thread, which I’m hoping is a good sign.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alright… thread resurrection here. 🤪 Being that it’s been a few years and many have now installed this on a JL, curious if any tips for sway bar flip and 1/4 install. Are there still clearance issues?

I’ll be tackling this install fairly soon and haven’t found anything aside from this thread, which I’m hoping is a good sign.
Haven't had a chance to do a new install so I couldn't tell you for sure but I would assume it would still go as you see in this video.

Top Bottom