JL JOURNAL : BADASS BUDGET BUMPER & How to Flip the Sway Bar Disconnect

VIMAI

Just ordered my winch plate and some rugged ridge d ring mounts to cut the budget down even more. Hopefully they'll fit.

Anyone with a sport/plastic bumpers have info on the bolts are needed for the lower plates?

benatc1

Hooked
I went ahead with this set up on my Rubicon that was factory plastic bumper. I really wanted the EVO 1/4 pounder bumper and like the minimal look. With the cost of that bumper and similar I thought it would be better to put the money into my own garage welder and build one later. I purchased the Warn mount because it was the only one rated at 12,000 lbs that I could currently find. The winch I have coming is a 12,000 lb winch because when I get stuck, its always better to have more power. I had to add some hardware for the winch plate because the skid plate mounts different with the plastic bumper. When I removed the bumper I found the narrow metal pan that sits in front of the sway bar disconnect. I decided to tweak this plate a bit to remount it underneath the winch mount for a little more protection. It is thin metal, but better to hit it instead of the SBD. Here are a few pictures of it installed without the winch installed.
View attachment 327852 View attachment 327849 View attachment 327850
Looking good!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just ordered my winch plate and some rugged ridge d ring mounts to cut the budget down even more. Hopefully they'll fit.

Anyone with a sport/plastic bumpers have info on the bolts are needed for the lower plates?

There are holes already in frame where you will need to secure the brackets, just not threaded. I think the factory bolts are 10mm but you should be able to use any SAE bolt and nut that will fit. Just make sure it fills the holes and that they're grade 8.

4kdb

Also wondering what size bolt people have been using to mount the plate (owners with the plastic bumper).

moodywizard

I have been looking at purchasing the EVO 1/4 pounder as I wanted to rotate the motor and hack off the frame horns. I have been looking to see if anyone has installed just the winch tray and been able to rotate and hack off the frame horns, from the pics I have seen may need to cut and weld the warn tray to accomplish this.

I might just purchase the tray and D ring mounts to experiment, need to do something every time I go in the garage the winch just stares at me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking at purchasing the EVO 1/4 pounder as I wanted to rotate the motor and hack off the frame horns. I have been looking to see if anyone has installed just the winch tray and been able to rotate and hack off the frame horns, from the pics I have seen may need to cut and weld the warn tray to accomplish this.

I might just purchase the tray and D ring mounts to experiment, need to do something every time I go in the garage the winch just stares at me.

What you're wanting to do is what we were hoping to do and really, a 1/4 Pounder does it well. If one had been available at the time, we would have just gotten one of them.

Kd7irm

Here is my finished version:)

Attachments

• 874CF015-4E12-43EA-8215-9613080A42B7.jpg
    874CF015-4E12-43EA-8215-9613080A42B7.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 106

4kdb

I just read a review on the EVO website that the No Limits manual knob works on the JL. Can I still do the motor flip with this bumper set up, or will the winch plate interfere with the manual disconnect?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just read a review on the EVO website that the No Limits manual knob works on the JL. Can I still do the motor flip with this bumper set up, or will the winch plate interfere with the manual disconnect?

Unfortunately, no. Well, to be clear, you can kind of make it work but the AC condenser will make contact with it just from the movement of the tub. Trust me, I tried.

4kdb

For those that have the plastic bumper, you can use the Mopar rivnut part #6511076AA to secure the winch plate bracket inside the non threaded holes. No special tool required. (You need 4 rivnuts ).

Kd7irm

That came out great! What winch plate did you use for this?

I can’t remember now, but I believe it was the rugged ridge, unfortunately the LOD was out of stock with a long wait time so I got one as close as I could to it that was in stock. I am still running it and probably will for awhile until I get me hands on a EVO quarter pounder.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom